Vietnam Veterans

Jaybrad

Old Disney Dude
I know Walt Disney World has all kinds of resort/ticket/golf and other attraction discounts but do they ever have discounts for non retired veterans? Thanks

Have you looked into the Shades of Green Resort? I believe they serve both retired and active military.

I know Walt Disney World has all kinds of resort/ticket/golf and other attraction discounts but do they ever have discounts for non retired veterans? Thanks

I (an idiot) always assumed all veterans are retired or not active anymore. Didn't know there were non-retired Vietnam vets.

Based on your signature, you've had 39 trips to Disney (bragger! :thumbsup2). Have you ever used Shades of Green or any other Disney military discounts before? Any reason this trip is different from your previous ones?

Tony - I did 4 years ('78 - '82), during peacetime, and was honorably discharged. So - while technically a "vet", I have always hesitated to use that term, and certainly don't "advertise" it, since there are so many others who served longer/were injured, saw combat, etc., that I almost feel embarrassed, for lack of a better term (humble maybe?). Especially since 9/11, when I've run across more and more vets, and especially females (was VERY rare for me to run across other WAVES back when I served/got out).

My husband has 4 years of active duty service and we've stayed at Shades of Green in January (less than 20 years service are eligible to stay in Jan and Sept) and purchased our tickets there.

For ticket prices and room rates, check out the Shades of Green website.

They also have a facebook page and list when they have specials on room rates.

I highly recommend trying this resort at least once. It is a beautiful resort at a great price right across from the Polynesian. It's an easy walk down the sidewalk to the Poly to jump on monorail.

There is a long thread on the resorts board for Shades of Green info/military ticket info.

I (an idiot) always assumed all veterans are retired or not active anymore. Didn't know there were non-retired Vietnam vets.
Many people don't understand the difference between those that served and those that spent their career in the service. Most Vietnam vets were there for just their minimum enlistment (2-4 years depending on branch and if drafted or enlisted), although a fair number did complete a career (typically 20 years) in the service. The conventional reference to "veterans" would apply to anybody who served. The term "Retired veterans" typically refers to those who completed 20 years of service and thus get government benefits.

Glad you asked about the difference Tony. Hopefully this info helps others similarly confused.

Especially since 9/11, when I've run across more and more vets, and especially females (was VERY rare for me to run across other WAVES back when I served/got out).
I think some of that experience is that those of us who served in the 60's and 70's were not appreciated, and in fact were looked at with suspicion. Many do not talk about their experiences in combat or even mention their service. It was something to be put in the past and to move on with life. Things are quiet different today. Those that serve are appreciated for what they did. That appreciation makes them a bit more open about discussing their experiences, although its still typical for combat veterans not to talk about that part of their life.

Tony - I did 4 years ('78 - '82), during peacetime, and was honorably discharged. So - while technically a "vet", I have always hesitated to use that term, and certainly don't "advertise" it, since there are so many others who served longer/were injured, saw combat, etc., that I almost feel embarrassed, for lack of a better term (humble maybe?). Especially since 9/11, when I've run across more and more vets, and especially females (was VERY rare for me to run across other WAVES back when I served/got out).

I have the most utmost respect for anyone who put on that uniform to serve this country - thank you for your service, and don't be humble, be proud.

I'm honored to be in such good company :-)

I have the most utmost respect for anyone who put on that uniform to serve this country - thank you for your service, and don't be humble, be proud.

I'm honored to be in such good company :-)
Back 'atcha, my friend. (And all my friends have told me the same exact thing over the years!)

Tony - I did 4 years ('78 - '82), during peacetime, and was honorably discharged. So - while technically a "vet", I have always hesitated to use that term, and certainly don't "advertise" it, since there are so many others who served longer/were injured, saw combat, etc., that I almost feel embarrassed, for lack of a better term (humble maybe?). Especially since 9/11, when I've run across more and more vets, and especially females (was VERY rare for me to run across other WAVES back when I served/got out).[/QUOTE

You shouldn't feel embarrassed at all! You raised your hand and swore to defend this country, it matters not whether you served in peacetime or in a combat zone. You should be very proud.

So does disney actually distinguish between veterans that served 20 years and retired to become retired veterans, and those who served 4-6 years and then left? I can't believe they would give discounts to one and not the other.

So does disney actually distinguish between veterans that served 20 years and retired to become retired veterans, and those who served 4-6 years and then left? I can't believe they would give discounts to one and not the other.
Yes, there is a distinction. Not sure Disney actually gives a discount to either group, technically. I think the discounts are actually a function of Shades of Green and the military organization (can't recall its name) that runs it.

Yes, there is a distinction. Not sure Disney actually gives a discount to either group, technically. I think the discounts are actually a function of Shades of Green and the military organization (can't recall its name) that runs it.

I know there is a difference, my question was if Disney acknowledges it. They have a military discount on tickets, here's what it says for eligibility,

• "Eligible Service Members" are active or retired members of the U.S. Military, including the National Guard, Reservists and the U.S. Coast Guard. Spouses of Military Service Members also qualify if they are able to present valid and active U.S. Military IDs in the absence of active Military Personnel."

Yes, Disney knows that it is not including all veterans. The specific wording of that quote is the key. Those that are currently serving and those who served long enough (typically 20 years) to retire with service related benefits are the only ones who qualify. Those who simply served a brief term of enlistment (i.e. 4 years) are still considered veterans, just not retired veterans.

this distinction is made everywhere. i did 4 years in the Marines in the early 90s while my Father-in-law did about 30 years in the Air Force. He is allowed to go onto Military bases and shop at the exchanges and gets benefits/discounts at lots of places that I do not. On one hand, it would be nice to have access to some level of discount, just because it's always nice to get a discount :), but I too would never compare my service to those that served for much longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter