Videographer

sandeee

Earning My Ears
My daughter booked JTR Media for her Disney wedding in 2022. She has since decided they cannot afford $4,500 to video the wedding day. She contacted them to ask if they could put their deposit towards filming the rehearsal dinner the night before as that would only be for 2 hrs. About 4 emails and a week later their answer was - sorry we have another wedding the night before. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought vendors would be willing to work with people - especially during Covid. It is a non-refundable deposit but thought they would be given options. This videographer is new and has not done a lot of weddings. They are you-tubers that film in Disney all the time. They were less expensive than others which is why I think they chose them but they aren't that much less to be this unprofessional. I see that they recently filmed a wedding in Magic Kingdom and from what I see, from the 25 sec teaser, its best they aren't using them anyway.

Just to make clear I understand correctly, you have two problems?
1. The videographer is not available on the different date and cannot film the rehearsal dinner.
2. What is going on with Magic Kingdom? They do not want to film your daughter's wedding which takes place in MK, but did do it for someone else?

1. If your daughter changes the date and the videographer is not available, then that's not unprofessional, just unlucky. There is not much a vendor can do about that.

2. There is a difference being a youtuber filming vlogging in a park and a professional shooting a wedding. The first is allowed (as they cannot really tell the difference between a tourist and a vlogger). The second isn't allowed, unless Disney has given approval. Maybe that was a special case before? If you have a wedding at Magic Kingdom, I would suggest to go your wedding planner, maybe they can help with which videographers already have approval. I believe there are several who work with Disney regularly and have an agreement already.

I haven't listened to this podcast, but looking at the description, it might help.
https://disneyweddingpodcast.com/di...ide-photography-videography-inside-the-parks/
I thought vendors would be willing to work with people - especially during Covid.
I think you cannot expect vendors to be more flexible due to Covid when the wedding is in 2022.

I would have to agree with the above poster that there is not much the vendor can do if they are already scheduled to film someone else's event on the new date your daughter is requesting. While I find that most vendors are trying to be flexible because of Covid, they can only be as flexible as their schedule allows.

If your daughter doesn't want to lose the deposit, maybe she can see if they can provide their services on the wedding day but for a smaller package (less hours maybe- ceremony only?)

My daughter booked JTR Media for her Disney wedding in 2022. She has since decided they cannot afford $4,500 to video the wedding day. She contacted them to ask if they could put their deposit towards filming the rehearsal dinner the night before as that would only be for 2 hrs. About 4 emails and a week later their answer was - sorry we have another wedding the night before. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought vendors would be willing to work with people - especially during Covid. It is a non-refundable deposit but thought they would be given options. This videographer is new and has not done a lot of weddings. They are you-tubers that film in Disney all the time. They were less expensive than others which is why I think they chose them but they aren't that much less to be this unprofessional. I see that they recently filmed a wedding in Magic Kingdom and from what I see, from the 25 sec teaser, its best they aren't using them anyway.
Did your daughter not read the contract with price details prior to signing and paying deposit. It had to clearly state the cost, terms, deposit amount and refund policy.

If her wedding is in 2022 what does Covid have to do with her wedding and videographer being flexible? It is understandable for 2020 brides but her wedding is over a year away- her changing her mind because they decided now it’s too expensive isn’t the fault of the videographer.

How are the unprofessional by not being available the night before? If they are booked they are booked. This is not the fault of the videographer that they have another job when your daughter wants them.

Did your daughter not look at reviews or ask for references prior to making a deposit? How much did she pay them for her deposit. She is bound by the contract she signed. They both have to agree to changes.

Sorry but your daughter is being unprofessional and unreasonable. This is not a Covid bride issue at all.

Seems like what I wrote is being misinterpreted. Never said they were unprofessional bc they had another event booked. Their communication with my daughter was unprofessional. Not getting into details here. Yes deposit is non refundable. Not trying to get the deposit back. They’re fine with losing it. I Thought the deposit could go towards something else so she emailed them. Thought the vendor could have come up with suggestions but they didn’t. There were no reviews bc they are fairly new at doing this. Lesson learned. Only brought up covid bc some of her other vendors have mentioned it to her. So it’s obviously still a concern.

Seems like what I wrote is being misinterpreted.
This is just more of the same slant.
It has nothing to do with what you wrote, it has to do with other people's poor comprehension. Got it.

I'm sorry, really. It is hard times for many and a wedding is stressful is good times. The stress this year is making most of us moody. This should be a happy time for you and your family. Hopefully you can still salvage the situation to something agreeable for both parties. Good luck.

What's written up there comes across like you're a rough customer. They weren't good enough anyway, they are being mean because you need to break the contract, they should be willing to accept less because covid even when it's unrelated, 4 emails in one week.. It comes across very negative.

Take a deep breath and try to look at it from their perspective as well. Sure, it would be great for them to work with you. The fact of the matter is they are not at fault in any way at this point yet you seem to be trying to pin faults on them since the contract is no longer convenient to you. Coming at them from that attitude is not going to make it more likely they work with you, it's going to make it less likely because they might just decide it's best to cut their losses, keep the deposit legally and avoid future headaches.

Seems like what I wrote is being misinterpreted. Never said they were unprofessional bc they had another event booked. Their communication with my daughter was unprofessional. Not getting into details here. Yes deposit is non refundable. Not trying to get the deposit back. They’re fine with losing it. I Thought the deposit could go towards something else so she emailed them. Thought the vendor could have come up with suggestions but they didn’t. There were no reviews bc they are fairly new at doing this. Lesson learned. Only brought up covid bc some of her other vendors have mentioned it to her. So it’s obviously still a concern.
It still doesn't explain what was going on with Magic Kingdom. What was the problem there, we are going to misinterpret because we only have half the story.

For example, you say the vendors are new and there are no reviews. However, these vendors are fully booked a year out and do got permission to film in Magic Kingdom to film an event before. That's weird. It gives the impression you are leaving something out that is negative for you. Therefore it makes me more likely to side with the vendors.
Same with saying they are unprofessional in their communication, but you do not want to share it. That gives the impression that you (/your daughter) were not on your best behaviour either. And yes, 4 e-mails in one week for an event that is over a year out, doesn't give the impression you are the customer a vendor wants to be flexible for.

Yes, lesson learned in do proper research on your vendors. And two, take a look at it from their perspective.

Seems that what I wrote is being misinterpreted. I didn’t think they were unprofessional bc they had another event booked. I feel they were unprofessional in their communications with my daughter and her fiancé I wasn’t going into details. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

A professional response to her first email could have been - sorry to hear but we can’t deter from the contract or sorry to hear but here are some other options you can use the deposit towards. Look my daughter is super nice and didn’t even want to email them the first time. She just wanted to cancel and lose the deposit. Her question wasn’t answered in the email. If they had another wedding the day before they could have just told her after the first email. My daughter and her fiancé watch their you tube videos. They had a great conversation when they first booked. They thought why not book them - help them start their Disney wedding portfolio. Don’t know how the Mk wedding came about. They are Disney bloggers so maybe they know people at Disney.
Sorry if I’m coming across negatively. Didn’t mean to just frustrated. Hope Covid goes away and we can get back to normal. Thank you all for your input.

$4,500 seems outrageous for just the video. We were blown away by how our video turned out and spent $1,000 on it. I would be more than happy to share details.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter