Video Camera

Hellie

Mouseketeer
I have taken my video on my last two trips to Florida, but it has stayed in the room safe!!

I normally take over 250 photos and was wondering whether it would be worthwhile using the video.

If I was to use it I would most probably film the parades and Fantasmic.

Thanks

Helen :bounce:

We took Video camera for first time in May - ended up with almost 5 hours of film.

Taped all of Fantasmic - great to sit at home and be transported back to the Magic.

Also managed to catch Nephew swimming without armbands for first time - normal cameras don't do that kind of thing justice.

:D

I would take the video - you can always use the lockers in MK etc. to store the camera until the parades.

Definately take a video.
Last ime we took nearly 9 hours of video. Taped all the parades and all the shows in the parks plus lots just walking around. This time round I want to take the video on some of the rides - BTM etc.

WE still watch the videos from that trip almost two years ago...

Tony

We are buying a camcorder for this year. Last time we took loads of photos - but you can't recreate Fantasmic with photos :D

Kaylee

We took my farthers video camera to Disney Paris many years ago but in those days the camera's were so big that it was just a pain to carry round everywhere (and very heavy) so we didn't use it - left it in the room. Both our trips to WDW we have taken a stills camera (and used loads of film).
But this year I invested in a new digital video camera thats so small you can put it in your pocket and I can take upto 500 photos on a 'Stick' as well as video.
Thing that made up my mind was that on this trip we plan to arrange for our autisic son to 'Swim with the Dolphins' and that sort of thing has to be on video - stills wouldn't do it justice:D

..... we always take the video camera - to us it's essential! The videos we have of our trips are very precious to us. As Tim suggests, we stow the camera in a locker when we don't want to use it any longer.

It is wonderful to watch our sons on the video on the first visit in 1994 ......... the looks on their faces is priceless and to hear their ( and ours) excited chatter. ....... and they grow so quickly!!

My DH is very good with the video camera....... and soooo patient! He has shot entire parades and fireworks on different visits - I have Spectromagic and Fantasmic, in all their glory, music and all, as well as some precious fireworks and parades now discontinued.

Take the camcorder with you. :D The first time I took I came home with 8 hours of video. I tape the rides, parades, fireworks, resorts and anything else that takes my interest. On our trip in 2000 I got to video Westlife in concert at Pleasure Island!!!:cool:

Hellie,

We're like you - we've taken a video camera a few times and ended up leaving it in the villa for the entire holiday. Whilst I love to have the memories back home, I do think it interferes with the enjoyment at the time. Tough call. From experience, the footage of the family is more valuable in years to come than that of shows and parades.

i'm looking to buy our frist digital cam for our trip in sept and would appreciate any advice on what to buy.

Hi Neil

A good place to start your search for a camcorder would be one the Camcorder User magazine (http://www.camuser.co.uk) or What Camcorder (http://www.whatcamcorder.net). Both have reviews of the latest camcorders, best buy tips, and lots of adverts from mail-order dealers which are usually much cheaper than high street dealers.

We have a Sony camcorder which also takes digital stills and saves them on a memory card. Although the quality of the stills is not as good as a dedicated digital photo camera, it does mean that we only have to carry one camera around.

The most popular format is MiniDV, which produces excellent picture and sound quality. Sony has recently introduced a new digital format (MicroDV?) which allows the camera to be even smaller. The disadvantage of this is that the camera and blank tapes are still quite expensive.

Regards

Rob

My input would be use the video. On all our trips we have taken at least 2 hours worth of filming, it has been great to see the kids grow up in them.
Also I have found there is nothing better on a dark cold winters day, getting an Orlando tape out to cheer us up. It does not matter what everyone is doing even my oldest boy who is a teenager will even break out from his room and actually talk to us. lol
I have found the videos much better than pictures, even though we shoot over 10 rolls each trip cannot remember the last time we looked at any!

Now I have the problem that our sony camcorder is starting to play up, it is difficult to get the tapes in and the tape door shut. So do I get it repared or get a new one for our November trip, decisions decisions!!!!!

For neilybealy,

Hi neily,
We're in margate by the way!!
Just thought i'd tell you that we have just bought a mini digital camera specially, ( but not only) for our trip to disney soon.
I wanted a small one for ease of carrying and finally decided on a sony one that is for sale anywhere at £899 so after seeing it in comet was just about to buy it when i thought i'd check it out online. And i found it for £729 on the comet website.( that's a big saving !)
Apparently, because they have to price match things, they will sell it at this price online because it can be found online elsewhere at this price. but they don't have to in the shop. So take a look, there are quite a few others that are much cheaper on their website than in their own shops. and you can always take a look in the shop before going home to order online.
Good luck!
www.comet.co.uk

hi jocall

nice to see someone local

what make and model camera did you buy in the end and when are you off to disney?

neil

I have just got a JVC GR-DVP7 for my 50th birthday and our forthcoming Orlando trip. It is about the smallest miniDV camcorder around and I managed to find it for £834 on the internet as opposed to £1199 on the high street so it is definitely worth shopping around.

Pricerunner is good for finding the best prices for things.

Now all I have to do is learn how to use the camcorder :rolleyes:

hi neily,

i think the model is a sony DCR PC8,
its one of those quite little ones, little square shape.
Although, when i tried out different models i do find the other shapes more comfortable to hold and use. i decided that i would probably use it more often in the year ( you know, kids football, sports days etc ) if it was smaller and fitted into a handbag easier. I'm sure after using it for a while that i'll get used to a different way of holding it and find it comfortable. Hope this makes sense!!!
I only ordered it on saturday online and have just received an e-mail saying delivery is on thursday, so can't really tell you if i've made a good choice or not yet!!

Oh, and we are going for first time july 18th

i think i've tried that model out up comet and wondered if it was too small to operate easily.....

you'll have to let me know what you think of it when you get it !!

wow not long to go til you go then - we go on 21 sept which is coming round really quick

where are you staying etc?

My brother-in-law has the JVC DVP7 and I think it is a great camcorder. It is very small, so it is easy to carry around (it slips into a bumbag v. easily) but is not so small that it is fiddly to operate. Picture and sound quality is very good, and it comes with a memory card so that you can take digital pictures as well as video. The only downside is that it does not have a filter thread on the front of the lens so it is not possible to add a wide-angle or telephoto convertor lens (although most people don't bother with such things).

Regards

Rob

PS £834 is a GREAT price. My BIL bought his in Orlando for £1050 last year.

Thanks Rob, it is nice to get confirmation that I have made a good choice the price was from Unbeatable and they also give you 6 months interest-free credit!

Portability was a major plus as I want it to fit in a bumbag and not have to carry another bag around. The lack of filter thread is not a big deal for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter