Victoria & Albert Dining Scheherazade Night #6&7 "I could die happy,and I am only 20&qu

ehagerty

DIS Veteran
For those who may not already be aware, there are other nights to this story..
Night #1 - Victoria & Alberts - Picture Trip Report (January, 2009)
Night #2 - Victoria & Albert - A Once-in-a-Decade Dinner, for the second time in 2009 (May, 2009)
Night #3 - Victoria & Albert - My Dining Scheherazade (September, 2009)
Night #4 - Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night #4 - "Table for One" (October, 2009)
Night #5 - [URL="http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2461568"]Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night #5 - "Table for One - Again" 23 FEB 10[/URL] (February, 2010)
Night #6 and 7 - [URL="http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2512143"]Victoria & Albert Dining Scheherazade Night #6&7 "I could die happy,and I am only 20"[/URL] (June, 2010)
Night #8 and 9 - [URL="http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2627108"]Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night 8 and 9 - "New Regulars"[/URL] (December, 2010)

===================================================

This is actually two distinct meals in the same week. The first celebrated our "family of four" first day of vacation together. The second, an opportunity to introduce my DB to the delight that is VnA; my treat. I have consolidated because, well, the menu didn't change much in 5 days!

After the usual "jacket borrowing," we settled in to toast our good fortune - at being together, being at WDW, being at VnA. Four main dining room dinners, wine pairings for those old enough.

Taittinger Prestige Cuvee NV

p922485439-4.jpg

... and our place setting, before we start dinner

p691800887-4.jpg

Amuse Bouche
Wine Pairing: Taittenger Presitge Cuvee NY​

The entire plate

p905455492-4.jpg

In the absence of descriptions supplied by the restuarant, I call this "salmon panna cotta, with roe on top." Garnish looks like dill or fennel ferns...

p550523898-4.jpg

Isty-Bitsy, Teeny-Blini - or "Its-bits, Teen-Blin" for language purists (who make it past the first 3 fake words) - apparently, Blin in the singular, Blini = plural. Who knew!

Blini - small, yeast-leavened, buckwheat pancakes that originally come from Russia. Classically they are served with sour cream and caviar or smoked salmon

p548689860-4.jpg

Aside - I felt like Anton Ego tasting his Ratatouille when I saw the teeny-blin - it provided immediate flashback to the Russian Tea Room (NYC) circa 1983 - waiting in line for a table across from Rudolf Nureyev and Andy Warhol at their table, sitting at the next table to Radar from Mash (Gary Burgoff - that goodness for Google), having blini and some cherry tea drink. I'd completely forgotten I even went to the RTR til I saw this little pancake....

The egg and cup do not photo well under these lighting conditions. It was all delish.

Toasting our good fortune!

p661521786-3.jpg

As the harp played, and the staff seated us, DB40's comment, "I didn't know places like this existed."

Poor hostess - asked my how my SON was enjoying his meal - I laughed - it is physiologically possible, as I am 15 years older than he - but he IS my brother!

Perfect, as always. Thanks, Chef Erich

Over the course of the meal.....

French Baguette

p659951723-4.jpg

Herb

p916939143-4.jpg

Whole Grain

p878824300-4.jpg

Gulf Shrimp with Breakfast Radish, Kohlrabi, and Tamarind

Wine Pairing: Cru "Montage Vineyard" Chardonney, Monterey 2007​

p833531653-4.jpg

The foundation (bottom layers) for the shrimp was a gourmet "slab" of watermelon, and tiny chunks of other melons.

Minnesota Elk Carpaccio with Olives, Artichokes and Chorizo Vinaigrette

Wine Pairing: Domaine King Estate Pinot Gris, Oregon 2007​

p957468887-4.jpg

The picture probably does not do this dish justice - it appears kind of rare (red). It is raw, not rare - and wonderful. I am not much of an olive fan (as a standalone flavor - and it is powerful enough to usually over-influence dishes, for me) - but I liked this so much, I ordered it myself the following week.

There are 3 different sauces decorating the plate, and, in the background, a sprinkle of something red (back left corner) and a spoon of olive oil powder (dehydrated olive oil), which you add to the top of the meat just before eating.

... with a side of lavash - kind of a middle eastern cracker - only enhanced with a touch of - garlic (I think - next time, I WILL take notes....)

p606526331-3.jpg

We always make sure we have one of each offering so that we can sample each other's dishes.

Both were great, I chose the Elk the following week, mostly because of the flavor, but also because I was pretty sure I would not have too many opportunities to ever try elk carpaccio again.

Thank you for sharing all these wonderful pictures with us. I can't wait to eat there for the very first time next month. Shrimp or elk??? bread or no bread??(have been on the low-carb diet for weeks now :rolleyes1)

Citrus-poached Halibut with Warm Verjus Vinaigrette

Wine Pairing: Michel Redde Sancerre "Les Tuilieres", Loire 2007

p556185109-4.jpg

Sale-Soy-marinated Copper River Salmon with Bok Choy and Say Beans

Wine Pairing: Kanbara "Bride of the Fax" Gohyakumangoku Junmai Ginjo, Nigata​

p1059002300-4.jpg

I learned on a prior visit about "Lagniappe" - and this was Chef Scott's lagniappe for our second dinner

Marron

p1061295935-4.jpg

Looks like shrimp, tastes like lobster - sweeter, more tender, less salty.

Having never heard of Marron before, I looked it up for your edification (and mine) just now:
Marron is a name given to large freshwater crayfish found in the south-west corner of Australia. arron make excellent eating, very similar in taste to lobster. Given that they are a freshwater species they are far less salty and provide an overall sweeter taste. Distinct from all other similar freshwater species is the fact that they do not burrow and do not take on as much waste into their flesh. Also, they do not suffer from terminal growth, as do most other shellfish, resulting in the fact that even very large and old specimens maintain excellent eating texture quality. They can be prepared in a variety of ways, such as boiling or grilling, and again similarly to lobster, the shells will turn a bright red colour when cooked. Marron are considered a luxury product and are the subject of a developing aquaculture industry in Western Australia and in other Australian states. (Wikipedia)

For inquiring minds - here is the original post with an explanation of lagniappe

Thank you for sharing all these wonderful pictures with us. I can't wait to eat there for the very first time next month. Shrimp or elk??? bread or no bread??(have been on the low-carb diet for weeks now :rolleyes1)
You are in good hands, either way (carb or no carb). Personally, I would give up the diet for 3 hours, because you won't get the chance to have breads this good again soon (unless you make your own). On the other hand, if you have diet restrictions, VnA will do everything possible to accommodate - and you might get new ideas for your non-carb diet. Who can say? Let us know.

Is that Rochester NY or MN?

You are in good hands, either way (carb or no carb). Personally, I would give up the diet for 3 hours, because you won't get the chance to have breads this good again soon (unless you make your own). On the other hand, if you have diet restrictions, VnA will do everything possible to accommodate - and you might get new ideas for your non-carb diet. Who can say? Let us know.

Is that Rochester NY or MN?

Rochester NY indeed! We used to live in Chicago but moved to Rochester earlier this year. Hubby works for Strong Memorial Hospital now. I prefer to live here in Rochester in a real house. We used to live near downtown Chicago(near DH's hospital) in a tiny 3 bedroom loft. I am praying that this will be last move before DH retires :lmao:

Zellwood Corn Soup with a Petite Crab Casserole
Wine Pairing: Chimay Peres Trappistes, Belgium​
p622549326-3.jpg

p1008576687-3.jpg

Poulet Rouge with Mushroom-Truffle Ragout, Morel Mushrooms, and English Peas

Wine Pairing: Caparone Aglianico, Paso Robles 2006​
p654015391-4.jpg

Duck Breast, Duck Sausage and Confit with Strawberry and Rhubarb

Wine Pairing: Acacia "Winery Lake Vineyeard" Pinot Noir, Carneros 2006​
p847060249-4.jpg

... with a close-up

p706520684-4.jpg

... or two

p858334083-4.jpg

Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin and Belly with Baby Beets and Sherry-Bacon Vinaigrette
Wine Pairing: Trinitas "Old Vine" Zinfandel, Contra Costa Country 2006​

p1011286201-4.jpg

p626631478-4.jpg

Niman Ranch Lamb with Spring Asparagus and Minted Jus
Wine Pairing: Beni Di Batasiolo Sovrana Barbera d'Alba, Piemonte DOC 2006​
p823993814-4.jpg

p828419779-4.jpg

Marcho Farms Veal Tenderloin with Marble Potatoes and Sauce Soubise

Wine Pairing: Pirathon Shiraz, Barossa Vallyey 2005

Hmmmm - I could have sworn someone ordered this, but no picture for you!

Thank you so much for posting these fabulous pictures! DH and I will be celebrating my 50th B-day at V&A's next month...our first time eating there. But probably not the last :laughing: (now that we're empty-nesters!)

Colston Bassett Stilton, Coach Farm Goat, Gouda Reqpenaer VSOP and Thomasville Tomme
Wine Pairing: Qunita do Crasto Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2003

p601272942-4.jpg

p745525731-4.jpg

White Chocolate Gelato with Tableside Shavings
Wine Pairing: I Vignaiolo do S. Stefano Moscato D;Asti, Santo Stefano Belbo 2009

p791167015-4.jpg

p595886150-4.jpg

Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle

p925153705-4.jpg

Caramelized Banana Gateau

p678940635-4.jpg

Tanzanie Chocolate Pyramid with a Champagne-Chambord Truffle

p789973209-4.jpg

Chris (Asst Mgr) and Scott (Chef) both stopped by to see how we enjoyed our mean on Jun 11 - DS20 announced that "I could die today, and die happy. And I am only 20." The meal was exceptional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter