Very Quick Vegetarian Dining Reviews

lilpnutmama

It's a small, small world
We just got back from a week's stay and I thought I would just give quick-and-dirty reviews of my meals while I can still remember them. I was not organized enough to take pictures of my meals so I hope these reviews aren't too boring :rotfl2:.
This will just be a really fast overview!!

As an aside, this will probably be my last time using the Dining Plan... as a vegetarian I often wanted to make my meal out of appetizers/salads and sides and it was not possible with the Dining Plan. It has worked really well for us in the past but not so much (for me as a vegetarian) this time.

Pop Century Food Court
We stayed just one night at Pop before moving on to kidani and boardwalk so only had one fast meal here. I had the vegetable lo mein and it was surprisingly good. It wasn't gourmet by any means but was tasty, the veggies were fresh and crispy. The kids normally like to mooch my noodles but they found them too spicy. more for me! :banana:

I picked up some Divvies chocolate chip cookies here and they were soooo good!

Sanaa

I was really looking forward to this meal! However as mentioned above, the sides and appetizers looked more interesting to me then what I ended up getting. I went with the vegetarian sampler.. I could not decide which 2 out of 3 to choose so the waiter suggested I have all three and not have the rice. So I had the spinach with paneer cheese, the stewed lentils and the spicy cauliflower with tomato, onion etc. (My three year old told me everything I was eating "looked gross" :rotfl: )

I kind of wish I had gone with the rice instead of the cauliflower, it was a little too tomato-y for me. The spinach with paneer cheese was my favourite. The lentils were tasty but definitely needed the rice to make a more satisfying meal. I had the chai cream for dessert and it was sooo yummy but very rich and decadent!

I would definitely like to eat here again, but pay OOP and make a meal out of some of the yummy sides and appetizers instead of what I had.

Yak and Yeti counter service

I feel bad saying this because I am sure some people love it, but this meal was just gross to me. I had asked for the shrimp lo mein but made vegetarian and as far as I could see they just picked the shrimp out because it still tasted fishy to me. :sick: Besides that, the noodles were just mushy and gross looking. The Pop century noodles were waaaay better!

Boma

Boma is really a vegetarian's delight :) There were so many choices and they were all delicious. The chef walked me around the buffet and pointed out what was vegetarian. The butternut squash soup was so delicious. (My DD said it tasted like vanilla ice cream! It was more like dessert...) There was just so much to choose from for a vegetarian.. the Moroccan Couscous stands out in my mind, as well as the various dips and the yummy flat bread.. the mealie bread, fufu, pap and ??? (I can't remember the name but it was good, not sure what it was though!) .. the only thing I didn't like was the falafel, there was something not very good about it.

Will continue in the next post...

moving on...

Tangeriene Cafe (Epcot's Morroco quick service restaurant)

I was very excited to try the vegetarian plate, but it was a let-down for me. It came with a hard unappealing bun (it really should come with some kind of flatbread or pita I think) -- the hummus tasted "weird" -- and I love hummus, I usually make my own once a week or so and get it lots of places. The lentil salad was really heavy on the mayonaise, the falafel was dry. The tabouli was probably the only thing that was really good out of this meal.
Not long after eating it I had some stomach 'issues' :eek: so not a fan of this meal at all.
HOWEVER... the baklava was delicious!

Chefs de France

This meal was a huge hit with my family, so much so that we ate there twice during our trip. I had the same thing both times so only need to write one review :) My husband (omnivore!) loved both of his meals and the girls were beyond thrilled with meeting "Remy" -- I think they were more excited by him then any other characters they met!!

Anyway I ordered the price fixe menu which came with soup, main course and dessert. I gave the soup to DH as it had meat in it... there were no vegetarian options for this - I asked. For my main course I had the gratin de macaroni --- baked macaroni and cheese! It was delicious. I am sure it was soooo many calories but I thought I would splurge this meal :) I had the recommended wine to go with it and it was great too. For dessert I had the creme brulee.. also delicious but a HUGE portion... which I finished :rotfl:

Chef Mickey's

This one was a big hit for the kids of course... they had an absolute blast.. and really believed that Mickey and friends made the food :)
I mostly ate oatmeal, I mixed yogurt and tons of fruit into it.. and then some mickey waffles. This was just your typical Disney breakfast buffet. We were really there for the characters as opposed to the food, but the food was fine :)

1900 Park Fare

I was surprised that this ended up being one of my top meals! The cold soba noodle salad was soooo good as well as the edamame salad, both topped with lots of sesame seeds they offered on the side. I ate two plates of these because they were so good. The children had fun interacting with Cinderella, the prince, and the stepsisters. I ate the bread pudding for dessert and it was very tasty. We were there fairly early so everything was fresh and looked great. DH loved his roast beef and everything else, we all agreed it is a must-do next time!

Liberty Inn and Pecos Bill

I am lumping these two together because I had the same meal and it was the exact same: Veggie Burger and fries. They both used the same burger which is a garden burger I believe and had lots of chunks of veggies in it. Both burgers and fries were great! Pecos Bill had more interesting fixings to put on it but I was running late for spectro so ran out of there and only had some fried onions (which were hot in the pan, really neat)
At Liberty Inn I got a cute chocolate dipped rice krispy mickey for dessert but gave it to the kids.

Cape May Breakfast

I decided at the last minute to see if I could get a walk-in here at 8am and it was pretty empty, so no problem. The girls had fun seeing Goofy, Minnie and Donald in their beach gear. My breakfast was good.. I had fruit and yogurt, a breakfast pizza with eggs and salsa, the obligatory mickey waffles. We usually do this breakfast every year. It has good food and the characters look so cute in their outfits.

San Angel Inn

I know a lot of people are not fans of this place so we were a little worried but it was a pleasant surprise. As I had been warned they did try and seat us in the "restroom" area but we refused that table and so were seated closer to the water and pyramid. Those restroom tables are terrible, no atmosphere and a parade of people going by to the washroom!

I can see why some people are not happy with the service, some of our server's answers to questions were a bit peculiar. We asked to see a wine list and he sort of mumbled that there used to be one but there wasn't anymore. I asked for his recommendation and he recommended a mexican wine (which I can't remember the name of) -- but he had no idea how much it cost ("maybe 7 or 8 dollars?" -- it was 9) anyway it was good... He was actually very good and attentive, just his answers to questions that left a little to be desired. we really wanted the nice atmosphere as it was a cold rainy night and san angel delivers on this.

As for the food, I ordered two side dishes for dinner here: the guacamole and the salad. Both were good. We enjoyed the complimentary chips and salsa as well - there were so many chips I was able to use them for my guacamole (The kids were really well-behaved in here: I think it was the atmosphere and watching the boats etc. We would eat here again for sure. It really felt like we were getting away from it all!

Pizza Planet (DHS)
DH and I split a vegetable pizza and garden salad here. It was good - just your basic vegetable pizza :)

Mara

I almost forgot this one! I had a delicious flatbread with olives and feta cheese. It was my favourite quick service meal.. it was sooooo good. I planned to go back the next day but am so mad that I wasted lunch at the yak and yeti CS instead :( I wish I had waited and eaten at Mara again, as we were moving on from Kidani after that and wouldn't be able to eat there again.

============
Most days for breakfast at BWV we had pastries or muffins from the boardwalk bakery, or the lounge in Boardwalk. (I only figured out I could make a combo for a quick service meal at that lounge on the last day.. d'oh!)
============

That is it for my reviews, as our last meal was a repeat of Chefs de France, which we saved for lunch on our last day. The girls left in a happy mood after their visit with "Remy" and we were pleased with our choice.

Have a great trip everyone!

Great reviews! :goodvibes I'm glad to hear Chefs de France was a hit. I'm headed there next week. Boma and 1900 Park Fare also sound great!

Great reviews - thanks for taking the time to post :goodvibes
Interesting to hear your thoughts on the dining plan for vegetarians. I also like to order more appertisers instead of entrees as a fellow vegetarian

Great reviews - thanks for taking the time to post :goodvibes
Interesting to hear your thoughts on the dining plan for vegetarians. I also like to order more appertisers instead of entrees as a fellow vegetarian

It is funny - I was the hugest supporter of the dining plan before this. Well, I still think it is great.. but there were just so many yummy sounding appetizers available for vegetarians!

Hi,
Thanks for the reviews! I don't eat any meat, and would like to try Chefs de France. It sounded good.

Thanks for the vegetarian reviews!
My husband and I have recently sworn off seafood - the last meat product we were trying to rid ourselves of (so we were pescetarian) and are now ovo-vegetarians. I was happy to see a 1900 Park Faire review, because I originally thought there wasn't anything on the menu worth it for vegetarians! Thanks for proving me wrong!

THANK YOU for your reviews!! Fellow veggie here. This will be our first trip as veggies. We're staying offsite so we'll be able to bring most of our own food in to the parks, but we'll have some TS meals and Sanaa looks fun!!

My husband and I have recently sworn off seafood - the last meat product we were trying to rid ourselves of (so we were pescetarian) and are now ovo-vegetarians. I was happy to see a 1900 Park Faire review, because I originally thought there wasn't anything on the menu worth it for vegetarians! Thanks for proving me wrong!

Thanks for YOUR reviews too!!

I was so happy about that one because I seriously thought it was going to be a big meat fest. now I should clarify that it wasn't a huge "selection" but what was there, was delicious. If that makes sense :)

I was so happy about that one because I seriously thought it was going to be a big meat fest. now I should clarify that it wasn't a huge "selection" but what was there, was delicious. If that makes sense :)

I am really happy to hear that because the actual restaurant appealed to me, but if I can't eat then there's no point in going. So glad this isn't the case. The entertainment over there definitely sounded worth checking in on.

OMG I loved that flatbread at Mara! I had it in April 2009 when we were there for ds's bday and sometimes I still find myself thinking about how good it was...:rotfl: DH thought it looked gross which made me happy because I didn't wanna share! :lmao: Hmmm... Maybe I'll try to make it at home sometime.

Thanks for your reviews! DS18 is vegetarian so they were very helpful! :thumbsup2

Mara

I almost forgot this one! I had a delicious flatbread with olives and feta cheese. It was my favourite quick service meal.. it was sooooo good. I planned to go back the next day but am so mad that I wasted lunch at the yak and yeti CS instead :( I wish I had waited and eaten at Mara again, as we were moving on from Kidani after that and wouldn't be able to eat there again.

OMG I loved that flatbread at Mara! I had it in April 2009 when we were there for ds's bday and sometimes I still find myself thinking about how good it was...:rotfl: DH thought it looked gross which made me happy because I didn't wanna share! :lmao: Hmmm... Maybe I'll try to make it at home sometime.

Thanks for your reviews! DS18 is vegetarian so they were very helpful! :thumbsup2

If you have any idea how it's made or what was in it, let me know. I keep thinking about it too :laughing: I still am mad at myself for not going back there the next day.

I have to add to this that out of everything we did the girls are still talking about Remy, it was seriously such a thrill for them (ironically considering they didn't really even care for the movie)

If you have any idea how it's made or what was in it, let me know. I keep thinking about it too :laughing: I still am mad at myself for not going back there the next day.

I have to add to this that out of everything we did the girls are still talking about Remy, it was seriously such a thrill for them (ironically considering they didn't really even care for the movie)

Found this on WDW Recipes at Allears.net. It was listed under Jiko but sounds like the same one to me. What do ya think?

KALAMATA OLIVE FLATBREAD
Ingredients
3 ounces Kalamata olives, chopped
2 ounces Four Cheese Mix (Royalty)
1/2 ounce Boursin cheese, crumbled
1/16 ounce kosher salt
1/16 ounce fresh ground black pepper
1/8 ounce olive oil
1/8 ounce Micro Greens (Garden Gourmet)
1 recipe of Millet Dough (below)

Method:

1. Spread olive oil, salt and pepper on dough.

2. Sprinkle four-cheese mixture on top of dough. Sprinkle Kalamata olives and crumble Boursin cheese on tope of the olives.

3. Bake in 400º oven for about 10 minutes until crispy and flaky.

4. Garnish with micro greens.

Millet Flatbread Dough

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds high gluten flour
1 1/2 pounds millet flour
1/3 cup hulled millet
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 pounds water
1 teaspoon yeast

Method:

1. In a mixing bowl, take the yeast and add to water, mix.

2. In another mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix well.

3. Slowly incorporate yeast and water liquid into mix and mix well.

4. Let all rest in the bowl, covered and refrigerated.

5. Portion, let the dough rest a little longer and use it as you need.

6. Bake in 400º oven for about 10 minutes or until flaky and crispy.

Not sure what the Four cheese mix is but you could probably just use feta.

That does sound like it. It sounds too challenging for me to make though... lol. I will just have to wait until next year to have it. (plus the calories with the 4 cheese blend and yummy boursin make it a better once-a-year treat... hehe)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter