Very picky 12 year old

Pennstate6411

Mouseketeer
I will be traveling with my family in November along with my Godson who will be 12 at the time of travel. He is and has always been a very picky eater. We are only doing a TS meals - one at Tusker House and another at Chef Mickeys- so those we aren't worried about him finding something. However we are trying to find 1 more TS that isn't a buffet and we are also booked for lunch at BOG. I have looked at the children's menus at many places and there are items on the children's menu he would probably go ahead and eat.

My question is: Most TS menus with the children's options say 9 and under- are they willing to accommodate for a 12 year old with a limited palate? If so can someone please let me know how they handle this?

Thanks

Hello,
It would be really helpful to know what kind of foods you godson will eat. I was a super picky eater as a child as well and I know most places on Disney property are very good with accommodating to this. I have never had an issue with requesting a item off the kids menu at an older age, however they may charge you for an adult size meal but if they do that they will also serve a larger portion most of the time (this varies a lot). Also do you have an idea of what kind of meal you would enjoy for you third meal?

He is my godson so I am not entirely versed his is food but when I have been around he usually will have issues with possible textures etc. He will do chicken fingers and plain burgers ( no cheese) fried and junk food. He doesn't even like pizza that much, and there are days he is ok with some foods and others he will have a fit about eating the same thing- I don't see him eat much else. I guess the main thing is that from TS we would most likely want as a group there aren't many if any items seen on the main menu that this 12 year old would be ok with.

The biggest thing is just - will they allow a 12 yo to order off the kids menu

Yes, my DS12 always orders off of the kids menu. If memory serves me, the only TS restaurant in the last few years that had an issue with a child over the age of 9 ordering from the kids menu was San Angel Inn.

He is my godson so I am not entirely versed his is food but when I have been around he usually will have issues with possible textures etc. He will do chicken fingers and plain burgers ( no cheese) fried and junk food. He doesn't even like pizza that much, and there are days he is ok with some foods and others he will have a fit about eating the same thing- I don't see him eat much else. I guess the main thing is that from TS we would most likely want as a group there aren't many if any items seen on the main menu that this 12 year old would be ok with.

The biggest thing is just - will they allow a 12 yo to order off the kids menu

You should have no problem with him ordering off the kids menu I did at Disney when I was 13 and never had a problem and I was really tall so it wasn't even like I was trying to look younger. Disney is extremely accommodating to almost all dietary needs, especially at TS restaurants. I don't know if you are looking for this kind of experience but I would highly recommend Ohanas at Disney's pollynesian village, the food there is amazing for non-picky eaters and they have a great kids selection. The kids get unlimited mac and cheese and chicken nugets (maybe something else but I can't remember) and ice cream as desert.

We looked and right now even booking restaurants a few hours after our reservations opened it was booked- I continue to keep an eye for any opening for Ohanas but there are 9 of us so the timing will have to be perfect.

We looked and right now even booking restaurants a few hours after our reservations opened it was booked- I continue to keep an eye for any opening for Ohanas but there are 9 of us so the timing will have to be perfect.

If he only eats chicken nuggets and stuff u will be Paying full adult price for kiddie food. U may want to look for places that don't charge by the age.

if I remember correctly you will be charged adult price for him at Ohana even if he only eats nuggets brought in for him from Kona by staff. if you bring food with you for him you will still be charged adult price for him

I have a 34 year old DD that is a picky eater
At lunch BOG she brought in chicken nuggets and ordered a cupcake.
She usually can find something at most TS, but not always. She has left before without ordering or we don't even put her on the reservation. She eats on her own and we meet with her later.
I know he is 12 but he can be on his own for an hour or so? Or is there another issue.

Just a word of caution, Tusker House is a bit different than most buffets. It has an African touch to it. I love it but my DH not so much. They have a kids buffet section but it was pretty limited. I remember chicken legs but not nuggets. Even the desserts are a bit different though I'm pretty sure the cookies were pretty safe. What park are you looking for another TS in?

Just a word of caution, Tusker House is a bit different than most buffets. It has an African touch to it. I love it but my DH not so much. They have a kids buffet section but it was pretty limited. I remember chicken legs but not nuggets. Even the desserts are a bit different though I'm pretty sure the cookies were pretty safe. What park are you looking for another TS in?

I went to Tusker House with my niece once...she was twelve...and she wound up eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She hated the buffet.

Maybe they are doing TH for breakfast. I didn't find that it had that much different food for breakfast.

When my son was 12/13 he ordered the Meatloaf at BOG and loved it. He was not SUPER picky at the time but it actually sounded really good to him. I will warn you that I thought the portion of meatloaf was very small - like the size of a muffin from a traditional muffin pan - but he was filled up with the whole meal. I think it was a very basic meal - no strong spices or anything. A place I think is good for picky eaters is 50's Prime Time Cafe - it has some very basic, homestyle meals on both the children's and adult menu. We have always found WDW to be very accommodating to many kinds of diets and picky eaters. When my son was very little many restaurants often asked him if he would like some mac and cheese to go along with what he ordered if the menu wasn't super kid friendly or asked if he would prefer a "special" kids plate at places that serve All You Care to Eat. When he didn't appear to be eating much we also had servers ask him if he would prefer something like mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, etc.

I actually think the PP poster has a really great idea about letting him go off on his own to get something to eat. At 12 my son actually spend most of our park time off on his own and we would meet for some meals and to have him check in. There were several times at that age that we ate separately tough and he was then able to go someplace that he preferred while my DH and I could eat at some places that he didn't really care for. He would be fine in the parks eating at just QS but my husband and I prefer TS. Plus he felt special being able to go off on his own. You could maybe strike a happy medium and have him join you for the meals where there is something appealing to him on the menu but let him go on his own when the TS menu doesn't sound very good.

My 13 year old is starting to branch out, but still picky. On our current trip, he ordered many times from kids menu. He has a big appetite though, so he will ask for an adult portion of whatever kid food it is. Disney is very accommodating and charges accordingly.

If he'll eat mac and cheese, Chefs de France would be a possibility. It's an entrée on the regular (non kid) menu, and there is good variety for the rest the group.

We were there a few weeks ago. They had chicken drumsticks, mini corn dogs, mac n cheese, green beans, corn, plain grapes. Plenty of kid's options, really. They also had multigrain rolls in the bread section. And yes, lots of chocolate chip cookies.

I would highly recommend Ohanas at Disney's pollynesian village, the food there is amazing for non-picky eaters and they have a great kids selection. The kids get unlimited mac and cheese and chicken nugets (maybe something else but I can't remember) and ice cream as desert.

We were there a few weeks ago. They had chicken drumsticks, mini corn dogs, mac n cheese, green beans, corn, plain grapes. Plenty of kid's options, really. They also had multigrain rolls in the bread section. And yes, lots of chocolate chip cookies.

Phew We are hitting Ohana and Tusker with a 12 yr old who enjoys a select number of food items...which surprisingly all fall under the kids selections. Glad to read that they will accommodate :)
(I was worried we should look at other options)

We go to WDW every month and my dd is 18 and STILL eats from the kid's menus most of the time! She is VERY picky!! Although her appetite has gotten bigger, so in many cases she may even order 2 kid's menu items LOL! And some restaurants will even make a larger "kids" portion with a small up charge.

There are only a small, small amount of restaurants that may have an issue with this but we haven't encountered it. I've heard Via Napoli can be tough about this but she will eat pizza so that makes it easy.

Forget about any thing spicy and for some reason many WDW restaurants love spicey. If he has an issue with a particular food item you can also indicate that when you make the reservation and a manager or chef will come out and talk to you to accommodate his needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter