Vero Beach - Snorkeling? Restaurants?

Maryland_Mommy

Mouseketeer
We are going to Vero Beach from April 1st - April 5th. My kids - ages 10, 13, and 17 boys, love the beach, but I wanted to be prepared to do other things. We will have a car.
They like snorkeling - is there a place to go that we could snorkel off a beach (we have snorkel equipment) or has anyone gone on an excursion? We will be staying in Inn rooms. Can you recommend places for breakfast (the 17 year old eats a lot!) and for dinner? We like seafood!

We stayed at VB a few months ago. We enjoyed it. However, the surf can be pretty rough there and the water pretty murky. It would be difficult to snorkel in that area. It's pretty fun for using a boogieboard, but even that was kind of rough. Bring the snorkels, though. Your definition of rough surf may differ from mine. Do watch out for manowars, etc. My wife got stung by one in October.

We found the poolside counter service place opened kind of late for our tastes, so it was hard to get breakfast there, though lunch was really good there. Crab cake sandwiches were good. Breakfast can be had in the main restaurant there, and it's good, though it's pretty expensive. For dinner, there is a good pizza take-out place just at the northern edge of the property. I forget the name, but it was pretty good. If you go south into Vero Beach itself, there are lots of restaurants for dinner. One place we liked a lot is called Mr. Manatee's. It is VERY casual, but extremely tasty. Conch fritters melt in your mouth there. HTH.

Editing to add: I hope you're there when sea turtles hatch. If so, make sure to see the baby turtle release into the ocean. It's extremely cute, educational and fun to watch.

We stayed at VB a few months ago. We enjoyed it. However, the surf can be pretty rough there and the water pretty murky. It would be difficult to snorkel in that area. It's pretty fun for using a boogieboard, but even that was kind of rough. Bring the snorkels, though. Your definition of rough surf may differ from mine. Do watch out for manowars, etc. My wife got stung by one in October.

We found the poolside counter service place opened kind of late for our tastes, so it was hard to get breakfast there, though lunch was really good there. Crab cake sandwiches were good. Breakfast can be had in the main restaurant there, and it's good, though it's pretty expensive. For dinner, there is a good pizza take-out place just at the northern edge of the property. I forget the name, but it was pretty good. If you go south into Vero Beach itself, there are lots of restaurants for dinner. One place we liked a lot is called Mr. Manatee's. It is VERY casual, but extremely tasty. Conch fritters melt in your mouth there. HTH.

Editing to add: I hope you're there when sea turtles hatch. If so, make sure to see the baby turtle release into the ocean. It's extremely cute, educational and fun to watch.

I think you are talking about Orchid Island Pizza. It is very yummy. It is a great little beach town, but Vero Disney is a bit North of much of the action. We love to have breakfast at Mulligans...early when the sun is rising. You sit outside oceanfront. Mulligans is smack dab in the middle of 'downtown VB'. Cute little shops and a great ice cream parlor.

http://mulligansrestaurant.net/locations/vero/

The water is typically rough and murky. A PP mentioned, more of a boogie board (can pick them up at Walmart) vs. snorkling area. Usually very good shelling.

We see quite a few Osprey...keep an eye out for them. Also a PP mentioned, look to see if you are there for sea turtle season. I'm sure the resort will have information.

We are going to Vero Beach from April 1st - April 5th. My kids - ages 10, 13, and 17 boys, love the beach, but I wanted to be prepared to do other things. We will have a car.
They like snorkeling - is there a place to go that we could snorkel off a beach (we have snorkel equipment) or has anyone gone on an excursion? We will be staying in Inn rooms. Can you recommend places for breakfast (the 17 year old eats a lot!) and for dinner? We like seafood!
I stayed there last June. All of the food on site is pricey. We went down the road each morning and had breakfast at this little shop. I cannot remember the name, but if you leave the resort, take a right and at the first light take another right. It kind of looks like a convenience store, but they have a lot of freshly cooked breakfast items, as well as grinders/sandwiches for lunch.

Closeby (15 minutes or so) there is a street where there are a bunch of restaurants and a shopping mall. If you have a GPS/Navigation you can find most everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter