Verizon doing away with unlimited data

ShellyLynn3630

DIS Veteran
Well Verizon announced it was going to happen. No more unlimited data packages, sometime next month. Whatcha think?

I don't think anyone will be surprised. This topic has been discussed here a number of times and the demise of unlimited data was predicted.

We've always been on the smallest package offered and never got anywhere CLOSE to our limit. Not even 20%

I found this.
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/22/verizon-data-plans-leaked-unlimited-users-will-be-grandfathered/

I've been planning to take the leap soon to a smart phone. I'm just doing the Android vs Iphone argument with myself. Guess I better make a decision in the next day or so.

Right now DS is on the $10 data plan and doesn't have a smart phone but I was planning to get him one for Christmas (he's due for a new phone 12/21).
Now I'm thinking about increasing him to unlimited now so he'll be "grandfathered" in. I'm just wondering if we make any change to our contract, like adding the smart phone, if he'll lose the "grandfathered" status.

Oh this is making me crazy.

Usually if you get a new phone, you start a "new" contract and you have to use the new plans. This happened to me a couple of years ago. The minutes plan I was on was no longer available and I have to go with a more expensive plan when I got a new phone.

I found this.
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/22/verizon-data-plans-leaked-unlimited-users-will-be-grandfathered/

I've been planning to take the leap soon to a smart phone. I'm just doing the Android vs Iphone argument with myself. Guess I better make a decision in the next day or so.

Right now DS is on the $10 data plan and doesn't have a smart phone but I was planning to get him one for Christmas (he's due for a new phone 12/21).
Now I'm thinking about increasing him to unlimited now so he'll be "grandfathered" in. I'm just wondering if we make any change to our contract, like adding the smart phone, if he'll lose the "grandfathered" status.

Hmm, I'll have to check into this. I just added unlimited data to DD's phone because she'll be upgrading in the next year or so and I want unlimited.

Ok, I am confused. I know they will let me keep my unlimited for now. But what about when my contract ends or I upgrade to another phone. Will the unlimited be good for life?

From what I've been told, if you have unlimited, you can keep it even moving on with a new phone. So, yes, there is grandfathering. DH and I have unlimited for our BB. One of our son's does too for his Droid. Our other DS doesn't and isn't planning to go ahead and upgrade since he won't use it really.

I found this.

I would not go with iPhone right now, unless speed dosen't matter to you. iPhone 5, when it comes out, is not suppose to provide support for 4G.

Usually if you get a new phone, you start a "new" contract and you have to use the new plans. This happened to me a couple of years ago. The minutes plan I was on was no longer available and I have to go with a more expensive plan when I got a new phone.

Not so, before I upgraded to a smartphone and eliminated my land-line, I was on a calling plan that was discontinued years ago.

Ok, I am confused. I know they will let me keep my unlimited for now. But what about when my contract ends or I upgrade to another phone. Will the unlimited be good for life?

Unless Verizon is going to treat data differently, since it is not actually part of the contract (AFAIK), they generally do not change the terms of the contract when you do an upgrade.

The one thing that I do find annoying is that they are not offering a cheaper plan. They are just restricting your bandwidth on the $30 plan. I was hoping we could lower DW's plan since she doesn't use her phone (for data) nearly as much as I do.

I found this.

I'm in the same boat as you..my dd is probably going to get a smartphone for her 16th birthday in Sept. I am eligible for an upgrade now, so maybe I can give it to her with a smartphone and get her grandfathered in.:confused3

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/22/edit-verizons-datagate-plans-leaked-in-excruciating-detail/

DH uses unlimited data...and man he uses it big time. He is now looking at us going to AT&T. We have a family plan with 3 phones, he is the only one with Data. I need a new phone, and he was going to get his new every 2. We have been with Verizon for over 10 years. He has been evaluating minutes, since most of our friends and family are on Verizon. It will be interesting.

I think Verizon is making a HUGH mistake and they are going to lose LOTS of customers.

I think Verizon is making a HUGH mistake and they are going to lose LOTS of customers.

I'm not so sure that it is purely a business decision. I think they also feel that their systems/network can't handle the load as more and more people switch to Smartphones and 4G.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/22/edit-verizons-datagate-plans-leaked-in-excruciating-detail/

DH uses unlimited data...and man he uses it big time. He is now looking at us going to AT&T. We have a family plan with 3 phones, he is the only one with Data. I need a new phone, and he was going to get his new every 2. We have been with Verizon for over 10 years. He has been evaluating minutes, since most of our friends and family are on Verizon. It will be interesting.

You do know AT&T did away with unlimited data a while ago right? Same with TMobile.

I'm curious if everyone will truly be grandfathered in even when they upgrade. That's all I'm concerned about. I want my unlimited data forever!

not true with AT&T. I have gotten a new phone every two years and have maintained the same plan, including for the new phone I got yesterday. And I still have unlimited data.

If you have Sprint in your area -- switch.

For two smartphones with unlimited data, unlimited mobile to mobile (any mobile phone, not just a Sprint phone), unlimited text and picture messages, we pay $160/month which includes all taxes and fees.

We will never switch because every other plan is much more expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter