Verandah Stateroom with small children

AbbyAnder

Every day's a little more colourful now that we're
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before...

We have a very active 3 year old, but we'd like to stay in the verandah stateroom.

Can anyone tell me what security there is on the door to stop a junior houdini from getting out and practicing 'king of the world' on the verandah and tipping overboard?

Thanks,

If you look on the sticky FAQ thread, it talks about this! I guess there is a lock up high that kids can't reach, so you should be safe. Go read the thread though, as I haven't cruised DCL yet. It has more info. Good luck!

Hi, and Welcome :welcome:

This was, and still is my greatest fear.

Rest assured, adults have a hard time opening those doors. :teeth: honestly...I don't think any child under 12 could open them....Having said that, I have NEVER left my child in the vicinity of the doors, either inside or out. There are some chairs and table outside, and kids can climb, but only if left alone....

Besides scaring the little tyke if he attempts it:love: , I believe you can ask for a bar to go across the bottom. We've cruised with our grandsons and they were too busy doing other things than to really pay much attention to the door. We had them on the veranda with us and explained what they could and could not do. When they were in their ajoining room, our dd and her dh kept the sheer curtain closed when they did not want to be out on the veranda.

When we had a verandah on our Sept 05 cruise, our then 8 yr old DS made the mistake of shutting me, DH and our youngest DS out on the balcony.

We were out on the balcony just after boarding and getting in our room and had left the balcony door open when DS closed the door on us. He then had a horrible time trying to get the door back open. We were trying to tell him what to do but guess what?, those doors are pretty darn sound proof. The locks are high up as well. Finally, right as our neighbor next door (who were out on their balcony and heard us) were going to call for help, DS managed to let us in. So basically, they are not that easy to open at all, at least not for our son. Also, since DS values his life, he never pulled that stunt again.

Based on how long it took my DH & I to get it open, I was much less worried about my 4 y.o. DD!
Seriously - they aren't easy to open unless you are an adult and know the 'trick' to it - plus iirc, there's a safety lock at the top to keep the underaged crowd under control!!

If you're still feeling unsure, you might opt for the Navigator's Cabin Verandah - CAT7 - it's a little more enclosed and impossible for them to play king of the world on...
kira_balcony.jpg

This is my 4 y.o. DD on the Nav Verandah on the Wonder

HTH

Hi ,

Thank you all for your advice :flower3:

I think with the difficulty of opening the door and the benefit of fresh air, it's worth it. Besides, I think they'll be in such awe of the ship in general and being at sea (they think they're being 'just like daddy in the navy'), it'll be ok.

Oh, and gorgeous photo of your DD...she looks like my DD (the 'quiet' one)

First question of many off the list...999,999 to go...don't say I didn't warn you all...:cool1:

That's the nice thing about this board - no matter how many questions, there's always nice folks to answer them.
:)

And thank you - look forward to seeing pics of your "quiet one" and your Houdini after your cruise on your trip report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter