• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Veranda worth it on a 10 day?

my2mickeykids

Mouseketeer
Having a veranda on the 10 day MR cruise is $1600 more than an inside room. We can afford it but of course would rather not pay for it if it's not worth it. For a shorter cruise I would not even consider having one but since it is such a long cruise we feel it might be really useful. I tend to have claustrophobic issues in really small spaces and was thinking having the veranda would really help. Any opinions from those who have done the longer cruises or have similar issues? Thank you so much!!!!!

We had a veranda on the EBTA last April and I decided that I'd go without one from now on. We never really used it because it was too cold out there. Now on a MR cruise the weather will probably be better suited to opening the door or hanging outside. I figure we spent so little time in the room though that the extra money could be saved or used elsewhere.

If it were just a porthole to veranda, I'd say no. But for 10 days and an inside to a veranda, definitely worth it. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

DH and I tended to sleep way too much when we had an inside cabin. With no natural light coming in, it was just way too easy to roll over and go back to sleep. And then when we finally did get up, it was hard to get going without any natural light as well. We have to at least have a porthole now.

We love our verandas. Lot's of natural light, we like to keep the door open at times, the kids like it, and of course it gives us a private place to sit and relax. We've had one on all of our cruises, most recently the WBTA in Sept and the weather was great.

Ten days is really not that much more than seven.

One thing to keep in mind is that the first two days of a Mexican Riviera cruise, and the last two, will probably be COLD in the winter. When we went last January, we were out on the balcony on our first day at sea, with the bathrobes over hooded sweatshirts, and were still cold.
But....I have to have a balcony or I'd go crazy being closed in, window or not.

You mentioned that you are worried about feeling claustrophobic in small spaces. That (plus the fact that I really needed the fresh air) led us to book a veranda room for our first cruise. We loved it -- the floor-to-ceiling windows really open up the room and make it feel larger than it really is. Plus we enjoyed our time out on the balcony. Of course, now we're spoiled, and can't imagine ever taking a cruise without one.;)

We had one on our eastern cruise and we really enjoyed it. I wouldn't do it for a cruise that is fewer than seven nights however.

I was out there each morning enjoying my coffee and looking over the Navigator while my family was busy getting ready for the day. And again each night before turning in just to wind down and star gaze. We would occasionally use it during the day time to be outside without the crowd. And my DW would read out there often. We have a navigators veranda for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

I would advise getting a verandah on a 10 day MR cruise. You are more likely to enjoy the verandah if the weather is good, and on a MR itinerary you have a very good chance of good weather.

We upgraded to a verandah at port for our Baltic cruise. Originally, I thought it would be too cold to use it, so why bother with the extra cost? It was only because the upgrade rate was so reasonable that we splurged. Well, I can tell you that it was fantastic! We spent so much time out there. It was great for taking pictures. We would sit out there and drink wine or coffee. We opened the door at night to listen to the waves. Money extremely well spent, in our opinion. Turned out to be unusually warm in the Baltics for our cruise. The same could happen to you.

joanne :)

Thank you everyone! This has been super helpful! I was thinking about downgrading to an inside room but think I have changed my mind. Saving the $1600 is what I was thinking about but I think I would regret it once on board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter