Vera Bradley large duffels as carryon?

nappingbeauty

Mouseketeer
Has anyone used the large duffel bag by Vera Bradley as a carryon for airtran. I saw it stated somewhere that they allow 55 inches???? That would meet the necessary requirement but I was wondering if anyone had practical experience using them???

Thank you!
Laura

I haven't used those specifically, but quite honestly, the one time I used a duffle bag as a carryon it was nightmarish. Perhaps it would have been better if that was the only piece of luggage I was traveling with. But trying to juggle a duffle bag as well as a suitcase was not pleasant. And even without an additional piece of luggage, carrying much weight in one hand for long distances isn't fun either. There's really a lot to be said for distributing weight evenly (i.e, using a backpack) when walking long distances, such as through airports. However, if you're comfortable carrying what's bound to be a significant amount of weight in one hand/on one arm for long distances, it could be ok.

thank you for your input! We have two adults and six teens going. I just cant justify checking in all those bags!! My reasoning is they are young and can do it?!

I just looked on the Vera Bradley website, and according to the dimensions and description there as "Carry on compliant", I'd think you'd be ok. I will say that I wouldn't ever bring something that large as a carry on, just because it's a hassle on the plane. I don't bring much on the plane with me, since my DD is 9 we don't need much. My carry on basically only has some small electronics, travel documents, my wallet and a book. So, I like to be able to get at it during the flight. With a big bag like that, I wouldn't want to be going in the overheads. I suppose, though, if you had a lot of stuff you had to take on it would be OK.

I recently used one on an international flight. I don't think you can fit it below your seat. I put mine in the overhead compartment. I liked it because it is incredibly roomy and the bag itself is light-weight (and the patterns are too cute).

I love my VB large duffle! It's my favorite carryon because you can stuff it very full and it's still soft enough to squish in the overhead bin or even under the seat if need be. It also has an outside pocket on the end that I keep my quart sized bag in- makes it easy to pull it out for TSA and put it back. I also have a reg. duffle, but it's just too small to use as a carryon. The Weekender is great to put under your seat and use as a laptop bag. It's got lots of inside pockets and it's just the right size.

My daughter uses one everytime with no problem. It is easier because if they check the dimensions it can easily fit in the test bin with a little squishing.

Is this the duffel that's on sale right now at Vera Bradley.com for $49?? I only travel with carry-ons, I never check luggage, and this looks perfect!

sooooooo tempting! I have the Vera Tote that's huge, I was just going to take that & a smaller non-vera duffel....must go to the website now......

Yep, I have my duffle out on my bed right now...it's going to NYC with me tomorrow. But, it is also routinely my carryon bag to WDW. It fits perfectly in the overhead storage compartment, but I can also squeeze it under the seat if I don't overfill it.
It will be heading to WDW with me next week!!

The duffel is quite large and is about half off on the VB website right now. It's a great buy if you are okay with purchasing a discontinued pattern. I'm going to use the VB Weekender for my carry-on on our upcoming WDW trip.

I love the VB duffel, but it's too big for lugging through an airport for me. I use the Miller bag for my under-seat carry-on (a.k.a. 'one personal item') and an 18" or 20" rollaboard for my carry-on in the overhead.

VB has been having great sales lately, especially in the stores! :thumbsup2

Whenever I need an answer to a question someone here has already asked it. I do agree that carrying the duffel can start hurting my arm, but it is a small sacrifice to help save on the crazy bag fees. i can always rent one of those carts for $2.00.

Whenever I need an answer to a question someone here has already asked it. I do agree that carrying the duffel can start hurting my arm, but it is a small sacrifice to help save on the crazy bag fees. i can always rent one of those carts for $2.00.

Beware. This thread is really old. Starting this March they are shrinking the size of what is an allowable carry-on. Down to a total of 50 inches. It needs to be 24+16+10 or smaller.

carts are 4.00 now at MCO and you cannot take them past security. MCO is huge and you could be facing a very long walk with your hurting arm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter