Vent-DD got college financial aid summary

Oh, silly me, as I was typing I just got what you were saying. You've got the prepaid already so you're hoping to pair it with bright futures to cover everything between the two....that's my plan exactly! We're hoping for the same thing. DD15 will be starting her volunteer hours for bright futures this summer. I just hope she gets the SAT grades required.

My DD has both Bright Futures 75% and FL pre-paid (including fee plan). It's more than enough to cover tuition, books and supplies. It wouldn't cover room and board at all. Her tuition and most of the fees are paid with the pre-paid plan and what she doesn't use for books is paid to her in the form of a check or direct deposit. Of course she has to pay taxes on the amount she doesn't use for qualified expenses (anything other than tuition, fees, "required books and supplies". She usually uses the extra towards gas, parking fees, supplies not "required" etc. Our problem was that she changed majors (this gets costly!) and had to more courses etc. so her pre-paid ran out before she was done! Luckily she has more scholarship hours available and got a grant to pay the rest!

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh..........this of course begs the question--how many people end up working in the field that they majored in for college? Alot don't. My brother has a degree in history and is a corporate real estate exec, DH has a degree in television production and is a teacher (history) BFF has a degree in biology and is a sales rep......things change, desires change, work force changes. HOw do we prepare them to be prepared?
I work in my degree field. DH works in his degree field. I know more people who DO work in their fields than don't! The majority of my personal friends who don't work in their degree fields are SAHMs, which is -- for the purposes of this discussion -- not really applicable.

Kids just out of high school need guidance to make good choices for college. You haven't lived with them for 18 years without getting to know their strengths and weaknesses, and you haven't lived in the world for however many years without having a grasp of what jobs pay well and would be a good match for your children.

That's very interesting. Were your loans federal Stafford or Perkins loans, or federal parent PLUS loans? Those are available to assist with educational expenses, including housing, room and board, and even whatever "miscellaneous personal expenses" the school has factored into the overall cost of attendance. Even all of the private educational loans through banks I've seen have allowed for the same usage for educational expenses. Of course the Stafford/Perkins loans have borrowing limits, but providing you had excess loan funds after your tuition was paid, it's my understanding that the loans are allowed to be used for all forms of educational expenses at the borrower's discretion.

For example, if tuition is $6,000 a year and the housing/books/personal expenses are budgeted at $14,000, the overall cost of attendance is estimated at $20,000. If a family borrowed every dollar they could for it, and had $20,000 worth of loan aid, but the student lived off campus and only had tuition billed to the school, they would still have access to the rest of that aid each term to cover their expenses that weren't billed by the university.

All the private school aid award letters I've seen have done something similar (allowed for borrowing for educational expenses beyond tuition alone), so perhaps it had to do with the type of loan or something unusual your school did?

I would say that in general, students are allowed to use their loan funds for all educational related expenses including rent, providing they've borrowed enough to cover their tuition and university-billed expenses first - but of course, always check with your particular school to see if they are an exception.

I had 'em all. And all of them that I had (not my parents, I don't know what mom's PLUS loan, if she had them for me (I know she did for my brother at Duke), said) stated clearly that as a dependent undergrad, they were NOT to be used for housing.

Schools, even now with all the new restrictions, refund overages to the students. The loans are for educational expenses. It really doesn't matter if you are in a dorm or an apartment.

Interesting.

We were only required to live on campus our freshman year, and our loans couldn't be used for that. My univ had an interesting housing thing where they bought upwards of 100 houses around campuses, and they were available on a lottery basis to non-frosh. They were charged the same as a dorm room...and still that couldn't be paid from any of the student loans I had. When I lived off-off, it was the same, no check or refund ever came to me to pay for housing!

But in grad school, it alllll changed with those loans (still a mix of types). For the long-term worse. Ugh.

My DD has both Bright Futures 75% and FL pre-paid (including fee plan). It's more than enough to cover tuition, books and supplies. It wouldn't cover room and board at all. Her tuition and most of the fees are paid with the pre-paid plan and what she doesn't use for books is paid to her in the form of a check or direct deposit. Of course she has to pay taxes on the amount she doesn't use for qualified expenses (anything other than tuition, fees, "required books and supplies". She usually uses the extra towards gas, parking fees, supplies not "required" etc. Our problem was that she changed majors (this gets costly!) and had to more courses etc. so her pre-paid ran out before she was done! Luckily she has more scholarship hours available and got a grant to pay the rest!

Can't she use the overage from the Prepaid plan to pay for housing, though? I thought that if you got Bright Futures and also had FLPrepaid, the school rebated the scholarship amount back to the student? We also did FLPrepaid (4 years of tuition and fees, 1 years of dorm), and we hope that Bright Futures is still around in some form when our toddler starts college.

daughtersrus says : We didn't even fill out the FAFSA forms the first two years because we knew that she wouldn't qualify for anything. We did fill them out when she transferred and her EFC was $17,000.
We didn't get any grants either via FAFSA. But we were told to fill out the form anyway, because the schools use it to determine grants/loans/work study etc. So, even though we knew we wouldn't qualify for much of anything, we went through the motions and sent it. Here, it let us know whether we'd qualify for a subsidized or unsubsidized Stafford loan.

Amy Epcot says : I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but this is the analogy I always come back to; you want to buy a BMW but you can't afford it. Do you go to the dealership and demand that they give you one? Do you complain to your friends about the "audacity" of the dealership to deny your request? No, you investigate cars that are more affordable and that fit into your budget. Same thing with a college, there are plenty that are affordable (especially community colleges) and they may not be your child's first choice but in the end, they'll do the trick and you child will not graduate with $85,000 in debt nor will you be re-paying a PLUS loan well into your 80's.
Well, I certainly wouldn't flame you, but I do respectfully disagree. Driving a BMW vs a Ford (or whatever), hasn't much to do witha quality education and a positive college experience. My dd worked her tush off in school and it has landed her the top 10% of her class out of 1,100+ students in her senior class.
Her major---Marine Biology---did dictate where she would go. She was accepted at two PA state schools she had applied at (both to the Honors program). But, Marine Biology is not a great major to have in a landlocked campus which is essentially a frozen tundra 80% of the school year. Her field work, would have had to be done over the summer and it would have required her traveling to VA and living there to do it. Also, at both Open House presentations, the Marine Bio profs, while laying a strong case that these schools had good programs, also mentioned it being tough to get a job in senior year because not many companies/agencies dealing with this major would recruit at these PA schools. PA is just not known for marine bilogy.
That said, we headed down to FL for a much better program with tons of hands on field work which also has many recruiters for this major. When you are in certain fields, sometimes it does pay to go for a school that is known for it's specific programs. The private university we chose in FL is such a school. So we did opt (and will sacrifice) to have dd in a more premiere school for her program of study (the BMW so to say), vs the school that had a decent program but not as promising in the way of field work and job offers. Is this school really what I'd call affordable to us ? No. There are other schools that we could pay for with much more ease, but what dd gets out of it in the end is more beneficial than going to the cheaper school. So it's not all black and white.

phragmipedium----great post and information. Thank you for taking the time.

Vijoge says : Yes, there are limits. The max DS could borrow his freshman year was $2700.
It's $3,500 for freshmen and higher for the uppper years.

ExPirateShopGirl says : I see a couple who mentioned they did, but otherwise I see a LOT of parents upset about the amount of money the schools expect them to contribute. I am disheartened by the number of people who don't or haven't saved a penny when, in fact, you've known this day was coming since the stick turned blue! This is where sacrifice comes in; things like not taking a vacation every year, even though you feel you deserve one, choosing Pop over GF even if your credit card limit allows a stay at the GF, buying a Honda instead of an Escalade, even if the salesman says you qualify. These are the choices we make throughout our adult lives that can help or hurt our kids in the long run, when it comes time to pay for the thing that really matters... the education!
Crisi echoed my sentiments exactly. Kids do grow up very fast. Looking back, it seems like a blink of an eye.
Yes, alot of us are upset at the high/exhorbitant cost of tuition. There are other parts of the world that offer education and healthcare to their citizens for free or nominal amounts. We were fairly frugal over the years, but still weren't able to save much for college (about $10,000). This was tough during hard times in our early marriage (i.e.frequent layoffs for dh, going on unpaid leave to care for ill family members, loss of health insurance etc). About 8 years ago, when the kids were 8, 10 & 12, my dh (seeing our measely savings), applied for a job at a large university that offers scholarships/grants to children of the employees. It may not have been his choice of a career, but he did it knowing it would help pay for college. The grant our dd will get from dh's employer benefit, plus the grants/scholarships provided by the private school my dd has been accepted at (academic based on her GPA and SAT scores), are making the cost of her education at the private school only about $4,000/year. The state schools in PA offered no grants/scholarships to dd. Someone else on this thread said it----the private schools have the most money to play around with. The private university in FL where dd is going in August helped me greatly with financial aid planning. They said "we'll make this happen". Believe me......a year ago I never would have thought my dd attending this school was possible. If grades are strong, alot of private institutions will do what they can to get your child to attend.

Crisi says : To be fair "they grow up so fast" and "you'll never have kids if you wait until you can afford them." Its easy to have kids when you are fairly young and money is tight....you'll start a college fund when you aren't searching up change from the couch for diapers. You start making a little more money, and rather than putting that money towards college - you'll do that tomorrow - you decide to reward yourself for the hard work that got you that promotion with a new car. Life happens, another baby arrives, and you manage to put off starting that college fund another year. Your kid is now ten and you know you NEED to start saving - but he really wants to play travelling baseball - and he's pretty good - and that's expensive.
I hear ya Crisi.........life truly does happen..........you spelled it out well. I don't regret the money (BIG $$$ over the years), that we put out for soccer, baseball, football, karate, guitar lessons etc. Also, our vacation memories will last a lifetime and I wouldn't give them back for anything in the world.

mamalle says : Im really starting with the kids early to get good grades so they will qualify for Fla's Bright Future Scholarship so everything is covered 100% either private or public schools. It just shocks me at what it takes for kids to go to college now and I dont seeing it getting any cheeper either.. I hope you all can figure something out..

I must say, the state of FL's Bright Future program is wonderful ! I'm hearing alot about it being that my dd will be going to a university in FL (we're from PA). Makes me REALLY wish I was a FL resident ! (not that we didn't want to live in FL anyway......but the program just makes it that much better).

To the OP....and others struggling with the high costs of college.....hope something works for you. My dd has applied for at least a dozen scholarships, but so far nothing. She's been doing Fastweb.com since last summer. It's hard. The trick is planning early. Good luck to all.

Can't she use the overage from the Prepaid plan to pay for housing, though? I thought that if you got Bright Futures and also had FLPrepaid, the school rebated the scholarship amount back to the student? We also did FLPrepaid (4 years of tuition and fees, 1 years of dorm), and we hope that Bright Futures is still around in some form when our toddler starts college.

that was my undestanding also but I just googled it and found this- Im wondering what I will do with that 4 year PAID college tution if the kids qualify. Ugh- something else to worry about..

Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program
The Bright Futures Scholarship Program offers two awards for high school students who earn an academic diploma.

The Florida Medallion Scholars Award (FMS)
Award: 75% of Florida public college tuition and fees (including lab fees up to $300 per semester). For private institutions a fixed award amount is given based on 75% of the average tuition and fees covered by a comparable Florida public institution prorated by term and hours.
GPA: 3.0 weighted (based on FLA Scholarship Program Weighting system: .5 quality pt for Honors and AP classes).
Test Scores: Best composite SAT score of one score or the combined best of two or more scores at or above 970, or an ACT score of 20

The Florida Academic Scholars Award (FAS)
Award: 100% of Florida public college tuition fees (including lab fees up to $300 per semester) plus $300 per semester for college related expenses (excluding summer term) prorated by term and hours. For private institutions a fixed award amount is given based on 100% of the average tuition and fees covered at a comparable Florida public institution including the $300 per semester provided for college-related expenses prorated by term and hours.
GPA: 3.5 weighted (as above) on the 15 academic credits.
Test Scores: Best composite SAT score of one score or the combined best of two or more scores at or above 1270 or 28 on the ACT.
Community Service: 75 Hours during grades 9-12
National Merit or National Achievement Scholarship Finalists will receive the Academic Scholars Award regardless of GPA/SAT.
Both rewards are renewable for four years with GPA requirements.
DEADLINE: The Florida Financial Aid Application must be filed by the end of the 7th semester and no later than the end of the 8th semester for the student to be considered for an award under the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program.

Bright Futures Home Page

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

1-888-827-2004

I agree that people should enjoy their jobs, but there is no doubt that Education is also about increasing your income potential. Unless your last name is Hilton or something like that, you need to be able to support yourself.

:thumbsup2

by MrsPeteI work in my degree field. DH works in his degree field. I know more people who DO work in their fields than don't! The majority of my personal friends who don't work in their degree fields are SAHMs, which is -- for the purposes of this discussion -- not really applicable.

Kids just out of high school need guidance to make good choices for college. You haven't lived with them for 18 years without getting to know their strengths and weaknesses, and you haven't lived in the world for however many years without having a grasp of what jobs pay well and would be a good match for your children.

I agree with this as well. Helping my child see where their interests can be used in viable fields which can support them, and the family that each says they would like to have, someday, is my job.

It is like letting them know that if they "wish" for a pony for their birthday, it isn't going to happen. A BA in Philosophy and $5 will get you a cup of coffee.

She could if it was enough...by the time you take out books and other fees (not paid by pre-paid (the fee plan doesn't actually pay for all the fees) etc. she usually gets a check for around $1,000 to $1,500 and that includes the small grant. She could use that for housing but it wouldn't go very far!

I just finished a "practical degree" in Accounting. My first degree was in Art History. I'm a six figure a year project manager with an Art History degree. My husband makes the "real money" in our house - his degree is in Anthropology and he works for a big online retailer in management. Liberal Arts majors can succeed - and quite well - but you won't be a Philosopher with a B.A. Or an Anthropoligist or an Art Historian - or by the way, anything in a biology field including Marine Biology and Entomology. Or if you DO get lucky enough to find work in your field it will pay slightly worse than flipping burgers as a lab tech or museum tech. You step out into the business world and work your way up, learning business by the ropes. The CEO for the Fortune 500 sized company I work for only has a Liberal Arts B.A.

I just finished a "practical degree" in Accounting. My first degree was in Art History. I'm a six figure a year project manager with an Art History degree. My husband makes the "real money" in our house - his degree is in Anthropology and he works for a big online retailer in management. Liberal Arts majors can succeed - and quite well - but you won't be a Philosopher with a B.A. Or an Anthropoligist or an Art Historian - or by the way, anything in a biology field including Marine Biology and Entomology. Or if you DO get lucky enough to find work in your field it will pay slightly worse than flipping burgers as a lab tech or museum tech. You step out into the business world and work your way up, learning business by the ropes. The CEO for the Fortune 500 sized company I work for only has a Liberal Arts B.A.

My point exactly. Though mnay may use the degrees that they chose for their life's work, many do not. I believe we need to guide our children as best as we can and watch them explore and grow and sometimes things change as we do that

My DH and I are just the opposite in terms of what to study in college. We are pushing a liberal arts curriculum. Graduate school is the place for professional training, in our opinions. Being able to think critically, write, converse on any topic, have a base of knowledge in all subjects is the most important base in our minds.

All 4 year degrees are LA, in general. That is the purpose of the core classes.

DH has only a BS, but in his field, there is no reason to get a higher degree. I couldn't do what I do with less than a Masters, and went for my PhD just for fun.

My point exactly. Though mnay may use the degrees that they chose for their life's work, many do not. I believe we need to guide our children as best as we can and watch them explore and grow and sometimes things change as we do that

I think, however, that its important to recognize the trade you make. I spent years as an Admin Assistant with a college degree....my husband worked in a coffee shop. He "got lucky" in the "desktop publishing" boom - and moved into typesetting (now pretty much a lost art) and from there into copywriting for an ad agency. From there he got lucky in the dot com boom and ended up in ecommerce. Luck as well as talent has been a HUGE factor in his success. I moved from secretarial work into IT systems administration when such a jump was possible, and from there into project management.

That's a longer, less well paid initially, and to some extent more frustrating career path than getting out with an Accounting degree and getting hired to do audit work for E&Y your first year out of school. Or majoring in ChemEng and working for Dow. It takes a certain amount of willingness to accept the opportunities and paths presented you. I know a trained biologist who is a web designer. I know a sociologist who is a technical manager. I know a theatre arts major who is a technical writer. A wildlife biologist who sells skiwear. A biologist who is a financial planner.

DH has only a BS, but in his field, there is no reason to get a higher degree. I couldn't do what I do with less than a Masters, and went for my PhD just for fun.

No they aren't. Liberal Arts degrees are quite seperate things than Business, Nursing, Education, CompSci or Engineering degrees. Those degrees make you take core classes, but they also prepare you to enter a specific and employable field. Almost no one takes a B.A. in History and becomes an employed Historian. Almost everyone who gets a B.S. in Engineering is employed withint the next year as an Engineer (or they go to grad school).

Wanted to put my two cents in......first of all want to say I have a freshman in college...and the financial side of it is a nightmare :scared1:

But I did have a great HS college counselor that just gave us the facts. One of the things that stuck out was the family contribution. When you fill out the FAFSA, it will give you your EFC, but if your college age child works, it take into account all that money hey made that year. So with that said, say for example, without a child working your EFC is $5,000, same family same tax return, but a child working that earned $2,000 that year too, your EFC will increase $2,000. Sometimes it is not good having a child work to earn money for college, they do figure into that the child will put all that money into college. But of course that algorithm is used for grants and loans. That darn EFC is a catch 22.

Also, as a personal note....son started college September '07.....if they offer you a Perkins Loan....apply really early....the college was out of funds by July of '07.....wasn't prepared for that one...ugghhhh!

Another side note, your child will receive everything....because basically they are adults...:rotfl2: ....with that said, if you have a responsible child, they will take care of everything. If you don't (can you tell which one I have :lmao: ) make sure you are constantly on their behinds, but make sure they take care of their stuff....don't do it for them.

My son is a procrastinator and he waited until the day of spring semester started to get his stuff in order....and he took care of it....but of course he was crying at the bursur's office and befriended everyone to get it done....he learned his lesson.....the hard way......also, tell your kids a little crying goes a long way. ;)

I disagree. So many things are not truly a breadth of knowlege. Engineering-very focused. Business-also not an across the curriculum kind of thing. Just our preference for our children, all are different. And, whether they take the advice-who knows.:)

No they aren't. Liberal Arts degrees are quite seperate things than Business, Nursing, Education, CompSci or Engineering degrees. Those degrees make you take core classes, but they also prepare you to enter a specific and employable field. Almost no one takes a B.A. in History and becomes an employed Historian. Almost everyone who gets a B.S. in Engineering is employed withint the next year as an Engineer (or they go to grad school).

But my BS in CompSci DH (LOL, that just sounds funny!) also took English, History, Science, Spanish, etc. Core classes. Teachers, business, and engineers at our school do also. I"m not sure about nursing as it isn't offered. Basically two years worth, both at OU, and MC. colleges I know intimately.

But my BS in CompSci DH (LOL, that just sounds funny!) also took English, History, Science, Spanish, etc. Core classes. Teachers, business, and engineers at our school do also. I"m not sure about nursing as it isn't offered.

You are required to get some core courses with those degrees - but they are NOT Liberal Arts degrees. Liberal Arts degrees don't require anything but courses within the liberal arts ciriculum. Where an Education degree requires courses from the College of Education. An Engineering degree requires courses from the School of Engineering.

Combining pre-professional and liberal arts programs delivers the experience and knowledge students need for the world of work.

From the MC website, as one of the 9 stated core values. It is possible to receive the benefits of a liberal arts school/program and still acquire the knowledge in a specific area in order to get a job.

Of course, here, they are likely to talk the student into two extra majors and a couple more minors...those suckers are money in the bank...:rotfl:

Not if you're a Comp Sci major, you go to an Engineering school, you take few core classes... Out of my five year program I might have taken 10 classes that were not core to my degree field. Additionally we were required to get co-op jobs, and our graduation rates to related jobs was near 100% Those of us who went on for Master's did so while working full time, nobody to my recollection went straight on the next year to get their Masters... We all had at least 6-9 months experience, I had 1.5 years as I had extended co-ops...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter