vent alert!

Kteacher

<font color=660099>Not your average kindergarten t
Arrrgh!!! There are 20 girls in my DD's GS troop, and it's always the same 3 of us parents that seem to do all the work. it's the same excuse every week "they're too busy". Most of the time these parents don't even come into the meeting room, they just drop their kids off in the parking lot. There's an overnight campout planned for this weekend which I didn't volunteer for because of my hip, and sure enough, I got asked tonight if I could chaperone on the trip because no one else could do it:mad: I had to explain to the leader that I just couldn't do it this time-camping in the woods would definitely not do my hip any good. Anyone else involved in a group where the same people seem to be the only ones who volunteer? So frustrating.......

I'm so sorry! I must say I felt awful because I was on the "too busy" side this past weekend. They needed me to work the concession stand at the football game at J.C.'s school and we were moving. There was just no way I could do it. I felt awful about it because I usually love doing things like that!

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. I wound up staying and helping at their meetings more than I should have. And I did go on most of their trips too.

I know how frustrating that is!
I know in DD GStroop they had to have a parental meeting and had the activities outlined with the dates so parents could sign up...It got to point where they told the parents if they didn't participate they would have to disband the group!....It worked!

Good luck! and I sure hope your Hip heals soon!

Holycow

I have to say, I am one of those parents that has done very little volunteering, not by choice, but my work schedule has always been very demanding, and I even work Saturdays. Fortunately, in our area, many moms are SAHM, and they are not trying to juggle around a work schedule, and they spend many hours volunteering. I both appreciate and envy them.
Finally after 18 years of motherhood, I have found a way I can be a very useful volunteer in a way that works with my schedule. Our elementary school needed a website, and because I have family members in that field, I took on the job. I feel very appreciated and involved, and it is a good feeling.
I'm sure you must get burned out on doing everything, and I feel bad for you. On behalf of all the moms who don't volunteer much, I apologize. I think some are probably lazy, but there are some who probably wish they could, but for whatever good reason, cannot.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure some of the parents have good reasons (work schedules, or childcare issues), but some of these parents in the troop I know just can't be bothered. Ifeel worse for the kids, because ultimately they are the ones who lose out.

I can understand parents that have busy schedules and try to help in other ways.

The ones that bother me are the ones that volunteer but drop out at the last minute for no good reason. We all have busy periods but hey, a committment is a committment!

When my ds was in school, it seemed as though it was always the same parents who volunteered for everything. I was the coordinator of volunteers for my sons private school(what were they thinking?), so I was pretty familiar with the phenomenon.

Some people volunteer and are seen and others work behind the scenes and others give money (something I couldn't give so I worked).

Sorry you are feeling so frustrated kteacher. {{{HUGS}}} for you and I hope your hip is feeling better.

My kids are now 17 and 14 and it is still the same old story. Some parents volunteer and do their fair share and others have excuses why they can't.

YUP, I'm the leader of a GS troop where I have 2 mom's that always step up to the plate and that's it!!!

I feel your frustration!!! Remember, you being involved in your daughter's life will make her a better person and that's what is important!!!! You are a good mom!!!

***but I'm glad you said no. Some sacrifices are too great!! Take care of that hip girl!!!***

I have also found, the opposite, that it is the same parents who are involved in EVERYTHING. I think it is that some parents are the involved do everything parents and some aren't.

I have been lucky to be able to volunteer.
Many do not and can. I DO understand now
what others should get-being a SAHM doesn't
mean you don't have schedules to juggle.
Volunteering is a full time job and sometimes
kids would just love to see their parents
involved instead of the same old moms and
dads they always see. I was laid off last
May. I had cut down to a 4 day schedule to
be able to volunteer in ds's school. to those
who say they are too busy-I say this-take
a vacation day. They are only young once,
don't blow it. It's loads of fun spending time
in your child's life.
This is not a flame-just the facts.

You are so right, shortbun. If at all possible, parents should try to make some time volunteering at their child's school or become involved in their actiivities. We were shocked when we went to Back to School night at my son's school, and only half the parents showed up. :( How could a parent not make time for a child's Back To School night?

My son is in 2nd grade and this is the first year I've become involved in helping out at the school. I work part-time outside the home, but on the days that I don't, I have made myself available to my son's teacher to help out when I can. This coming Monday I'm chaperoning a trip to the library, and DS is so excited that I'm going to be there. I figure it won't be long before he doesn't want his Mom around, I better appreciate it while I still can. :)

So even if a parent can't commit to full time volunteering, they should at least try to when they can, its very rewarding for both the child and the parent.

Unfortunately it's that way in everything. I've never dealt with the GS but I've always been a worker in the church. We don't have any children but for the past 15 years I've worked in Mission Friends, Awanas, childrens choir, childrens dept. and sunday school. It's always the same. You get a few that will work and the rest won't and a lot of times you know the parents are "dropping" off their children like it's a baby sitting service.

Please don't misunderstand me. I do know that there are parents that are working or have a legitimate reason for not being able to help and they truly wish they could but circumstances just don't permit. You can always count on 10% of your parents to help though. So if you have 20 parents about 2 will show up. Sound about right?

Sometimes it steams me that the ones that could help don't but it really doesn't matter. I get the joy of hearing the childrens laughter and seeing the looks on their faces. It's been a true blessing!

I'm the SAHM who always volunteers. One year I had to get helpers to work the school type carnival. One mother had the nerve to tell me "no, because I just want to enjoy it!":rolleyes: ! Like I did NOT want to enjoy it some? Another said "no because my child has a soccer game this afternoon"(carnival was in the morning!) DH was working a booth for DS's class and I was in charge of DD's class booth. I worked and watched the other mom's enjoy the day with family. I do sub at DD's school on occasion and just turned down a day because it was my volunteer day. That comes first with me. Oop, today is that day, gotta go:D !

uhh, Kteacher, maybe I should import some of our school parents over here..

There are not one, not two, but THREE homeroom parents in my daughters K class. Last night was back to school night and every parent except two of all 40 plus kids came there.

Parental signups were so huge, it was booked until March! They had to say to some parents, give the other parents a chance!

As for working, this is my first year working during the school year. I don't know my work schuedule for March yet! I refuse to feel guily about helping since they have TONS and TONS of help and money... (yes, its true!)

For my sons second grade class:

Two homeroom parents

Signups for spelling partners FULL!
Signups for math gameshow.. not full, but you can not bring other siblings.. I have a 1/2 day kindergartener so she is free in the afternoon, but can't come, so I can't help!

All parents except two showed up for the back to school night as well.. and one has a language barrier.

This is the only district I have been in, so this is what I know. I am assuming that this is not true across the board.

It's almost overwhelming on how many committes there are, and how many people want to do it. There were, no lie, about 25 things that you could sign up for with the PTA.. from the spaghetti dinner, to the pancake breakfast to the spring fair, to the Halloween PTA party..

This district the SAHM is the norm, not the exception. Some working moms are actually frowned upon.

Originally posted by Kteacher
There's an overnight campout planned for this weekend

Hello kteacher! As a leader going on 6yrs I know the frustration. But I would like to offer my opinion what may be part of the problem.
When you plan something part of the planning is WHO is going to do it. So you do not sign up for an outing until the chaperones are asked and accepted the responsibility, otherwise the troop doesn't go. For some things you just have to do it that way.
If you wait to ask parents at the last minute expect that no one will help.
Been there, still there! {{HUGS}}

I got roped into helping out in DS's art class more than I would have liked. I actually wanted to NOT do it at all. I can't stand art. So in addition to helping in the computer lab (which I love), I'm stuck with art also.

thanks for all the replies- I guess one of the chaperones cancelled at the last minute, but I'm being told that unless I chaperone the trip may have to be cancelled. Talk about laying a guilt trip on someone. I have to say no this time-I've been to this campsite before-very rough, uneven ground, a-frames for sleeping-just not going to work for me in my condition:(

very organization that I am involved in always has the same group of people that do all the work, and r=the rest of the folks complain about how they don't like what's being done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter