Velkommen! Touring Disney with my Norwegian friend! Dec. 2013 TR update 6/18/14

Oops - somehow I missed your pre-nap update. Sounds like you had a great day at MK.

Too bad that some of the magic of HM was spoiled by other guests. :(

The party sounds like so much fun!! LOVE the pic with Mary, Bert and the penguins. How cute is that???? What a shame though that your friend wouldn’t do the lines - I know the special character meets are a big part of those parties. At least you got to meet some towards the end of the party!

I love the castle pics - so pretty.

Some day I definitely plan to do the Christmas party again with just DH, or even just by myself if I do another solo trip! And the focus will be on characters and photos :)

Love the photo of you & your DH in front of the castle! Too cute!
It really can be hard touring the parks with someone whose style doesn't match yours. I'm glad you still had fun at the party, though!

Too bad about the complaining.
I hope you do make it back there. I missed Tiana. I would have liked to have a photo with her.

Love the photo of you & your DH in front of the castle! Too cute!
It really can be hard touring the parks with someone whose style doesn't match yours. I'm glad you still had fun at the party, though!

Thanks! And that's one of the reasons I'm super grateful that my DH and I have "matching" touring plans. It's so wonderful to do Disney with him!

Too bad about the complaining.
I hope you do make it back there. I missed Tiana. I would have liked to have a photo with her.

I love Tiana! She's my second favorite princess (after Belle) so I'm glad we were able to get a pic with her.

Epcot Morning

Today was our Epcot day! We were greeted with some holiday cheer right away.

We headed straight to Test Track. I think my penpal had a lot of fun designing a car, and ours did pretty well. It scored a 214 and the best one of the day so far (okay, it was only the morning, but still!) was a 218!

Then we did Mission: Space, on the more intense side. I have a love/hate relationship with that ride. It's so intense and makes me feel a little funny, but it's such a unique, incredible feeling! After that ride it was time for us to use our FP+ on Soarin'. Along the way he stopped to listen to the Jammitors rockin it! I hadn't really stopped to listen to them before but they were a lot of fun.

We also spent some time wandering around the Land and admiring all of the gingerbread creations they had there. I had no idea that was something that would be up for the holidays, so it was a nice surprise!

Since we were in the Land we had lunch at Sunshine Seasons, which you can check out in my dining review. After eating we did Nemo and all three of us squished into one clam shell! We did Turtle Talk too. It was cute, though there wasn't anything too hilarious - all of the kids' questions were pretty standard. Boo! Children, I need you to be ridiculous to entertain me! :rotfl2:

We also stopped by Club Cool to try the new kinds of sodas. They switched up a lot of them since the last time we'd been so there were plenty of new flavors to try (though they still had good old Beverly!). I actually really enjoyed the pineapple soda from Greece. I'm not usually a huge fan of pineapple but it wasn't an overbearing flavor and it was very refreshing.

PP (this is what I'm going to refer to my penpal as from now on, since I'm too lazy to write it out every time and it seems silly to call him that when I refer to my husband as DH). So anyway, PP really, really wanted to ride Spaceship Earth because he wanted to be inside the big silver ball! So we went on that before heading to the World Showcase.

Wow - great Epcot morning!

I love the gingerbread creations - I had no idea they had such a display at The Land. :confused3

Haha, the Jammitors are fun, but so random. I really do like his Christmas hat too.

One of these days I'm really going to sample the flavours at Club Cool. Most of the time I just run in because... free drinks!!! I do find it hysterical that they changed I think every one EXCEPT Beverly. Disney knows it's fans. :lmao:

Wow - great Epcot morning!

I love the gingerbread creations - I had no idea they had such a display at The Land. :confused3

I know, I didn't know that either! I've never seen anyone else post them or share pics of them, but they were so fun!

Haha, the Jammitors are fun, but so random. I really do like his Christmas hat too.

One of these days I'm really going to sample the flavours at Club Cool. Most of the time I just run in because... free drinks!!! I do find it hysterical that they changed I think every one EXCEPT Beverly. Disney knows it's fans. :lmao:

Haha I love using Club Cool for free drinks! Last time we were there I got a popcorn nearby, but instead of buying a drink to go with it we just went to Club Cool ;)

I love Jaminators! And their Christmas hats are a nice touch.
Haha, I am with you on the children at Turtle Talk! They are there for my amusement.
Everyone needs to experience Spaceship Earth-- it's so iconic!

I love Jaminators! And their Christmas hats are a nice touch.
Haha, I am with you on the children at Turtle Talk! They are there for my amusement.
Everyone needs to experience Spaceship Earth-- it's so iconic!

I always write down the funny things the kids say at Turtle Talk so I remember for trip reports, because it's usually hilarious!

And absolutely, I don't know how you could go to Epcot and not say you were in that big silver ball ;)

Hi Becky!

I have not been on the DIS since before your wedding, but maybe you remember me from your PJ. I just caught up - read all your TRs and DTRs - sounds like you had a great 2013!!

Congrats on your (not so new now) job! Sounds like you're doing what you love. :)

Looking forward to the rest of your TR!

Hi Becky!

I have not been on the DIS since before your wedding, but maybe you remember me from your PJ. I just caught up - read all your TRs and DTRs - sounds like you had a great 2013!!

Congrats on your (not so new now) job! Sounds like you're doing what you love. :)

Looking forward to the rest of your TR!

Welcome back! It's good to "see" you again!! And my job still feels new, even though it's been almost 6 months now. There are new things to learn every day, but I'm loving it! Thanks for commenting!

Drinking around the World

Our plan for the second half of the day was to tour Epcot's World Showcase and drink our way along! I'd had a few drinks here and there before but never tried to conquer all the countries - we went around 1 o'clock so we'd have plenty of time to try and handle 11 beverages ;) DH and I originally talked about splitting some, but when the time came he wanted his own, haha!

We decided to start in Mexico, and went to La Cava de Tequila. We went to order and they carded us... and told PP that he needed his passport. Which he did not have on him, because why would someone carry their passport around the theme parks? And well, drinking was our whole plan for the entire afternoon. We even had t-shirts! So after briefly discussing it PP and DH decided to go back to the room to get it. I stayed in Epcot on my own so I wouldn't have to walk as much (my legs can't handle too much walking sometimes!). As a side note, the interesting part of all this is that no other country asked to see his passport. It was only enforced in Mexico, even after we asked to speak to a manager. Every other place we ordered a drink PP gave his license and no one said anything. So it was just really unfortunate that it happened here. We ended up losing over an hour because it took them almost an hour and a half to make the round trip on Disney transportation.

So I'm on my own, and silly me decides, "Hey, maybe I'll go meet Anna and Elsa! Even if the wait is really long, like an hour, I have time to kill." Well, I get there... and the wait is over 3 hours long. It's just insane really! I can't imagine anyone waiting that long to meet a character. So I wandered around back past Mexico to the store that's kind of right where you enter the World Showcase. I bought a couple of Pixar vinylmations and manged to blox the chaser! (If you're a vinylmation collector you'll get it haha).

Then I saw Duffy doing a meet and greet across the way with pretty much zero line. I'm not a huge Duffy fan one way or the other, but he looked cute in his Santa costume so I went and got a picture!

After that I made a phone call to chat with a friend back home for a bit, and then made my way toward future world. I saw the gospel choir (not sure what they're called) performing on stage and stopped to watch them. They were really good and energetic!

Then finally, DH and PP were back and we went back to La Cava, where we were finally able to get our margaritas! Tequila isn't my favorite, but if there's some good flavoring in the margaritas I can enjoy it. PP went with a cucumber margarita:

DH had the blood orange. I tried his and I definitely liked it!

I went with the passion fruit. It was sweet and tangy, a great combination for me. I liked mine best out of the three so I was happy:

Each of the margaritas was $13, so DH and I spent $26 here total. It's probably going to hurt to keep track of the price of all the alcohol we drank, but I am curious to know and maybe you are too, if you plan to drink around the world at any point!

We skipped Norway at this point because we had dinner reservations there, and we figured we would have a drink with dinner. So on to China it was! DH had the Peach Snap, which he'd had before and really enjoyed. PP decided to go for a Peach Snap too. He liked it so much he went back and got another one! I tried to warn him we had 9 more countries (and therefore 9 more drinks) to go haha. I tried the Canto Loopy. This was great! It basically just tasted like cantalopes with vodka. It was also very refreshing, and I bet it would be a good on a hot day:

Both drinks in China were $7.50. The total for us was now $20.50 per person, or $41 total.

On to Germany, where I tried a grapefruit beer. I'm a big fan of grapefruit and this beer was sooo good. I'm not a huge beer drinker but I'm so glad I tried it! I would definitely get it again just wandering around Epcot (and in fact, I did on our February trip!)

It was a funny sort of switch because the boys ended up getting wine in Germany while I was getting my beer. I'm not sure what kind they got but they seemed to enjoy it:

My beer was $7.75. I think the wine was about $7 as well. $28.25 for me, $55.75 for two of us.

We then went back to Norway for our dinner reservations. I'll discuss the food in my dining review - here it's all about the drinks! PP got the Magical Star. He was intrigued by the glow cube, haha:

DH went with the Stavanger (A refreshing frozen blend of Raspberry, Vodka, and Linie Aquavit):

He enjoyed it a lot! I had the Prince of Norway (A royal blend of Apricot Brandy, Sloe Gin, Sour Mix and Orange Juice). Not my typical kind of drink, but I liked it!

'
And of course, since it was Akershus we met the princesses too. Aurora was fantastic:

She was so sassy! She asked which of these men was my dragon slayer, so I pointed t DH. She asked him how many dragons he'd slayed, and he said many. She looks at him and goes, "Well, they must have been tiny dragons." We were cracking up! And she asked PP where his princess was and he said he hadn't found her yet. So Aurora told him he'd have to slay a lot of dragons to find one as beautiful as me. Aww.

PP also had a lot of fun speaking Norwegian to the waitress and other people that worked there. They all got a real kick out of that!

Drinking around the world recap to be continued...

As the countries tick by your smile gets broader...and we are not even half way around!!!

I do remember the announcement of needing a passport for booze in Disney now. Clearly this is being enforced all over. Oy. What a shame to lose all that time.

I think Anna and Elsa are wonderful, but NO WAY I'm waiting 3 hours.

Santa Duffy rules!!!! I have a real soft spot for him.

I really want to try this grapefruit beer. It's sounds SO GOOD!

I have to tell you Becky, watching the "changes" over the course of the photos is quite enjoyable. Looking forward to the next batch!!

As the countries tick by your smile gets broader...and we are not even half way around!!!

Hahaha just wait til we get to the UK!

I do remember the announcement of needing a passport for booze in Disney now. Clearly this is being enforced all over. Oy. What a shame to lose all that time.

I think Anna and Elsa are wonderful, but NO WAY I'm waiting 3 hours.

Santa Duffy rules!!!! I have a real soft spot for him.

I really want to try this grapefruit beer. It's sounds SO GOOD!

I have to tell you Becky, watching the "changes" over the course of the photos is quite enjoyable. Looking forward to the next batch!!

Yeah, I vaguely remembered hearing something about that annoucement but since it didn't affect me I promptly forgot haha.

When we went back in February the wait was up to 5 hours for Anna and Elsa! Seriously insane!

Grapefruit beer is great! I wonder if I can find it around here.

I LOVE the grapefruit beer! We have a gourmet grocery store here that has a gigantic beer selection and I've never been able to find it there, unfortunately :(
Your shirts are terrific!! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your drinks! ;)

Excellent, drinking round the world! That is definitely on my Disney to-do list so I'm interested to see what you picked. :drinking1

I am also a fan of grapefruit beer! My local liquor store stocks Schofferhofer in the summer, so there is hope for wider availability. :)

Just joining in - loving it so far!

You are brave to drink around the world. I think my DH would need to carry me after 3 or so drinks! At least you're spreading them out nicely!

Excited for the next update!

I LOVE the grapefruit beer! We have a gourmet grocery store here that has a gigantic beer selection and I've never been able to find it there, unfortunately :(
Your shirts are terrific!! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your drinks! ;)

Yeah, I've searched a few places nearby and haven't found the grapefruit beer. I was hopeful because I found Rosa Regale at my wine store!

And thanks - a friend of mine designed the shirts, she is awesome!

Excellent, drinking round the world! That is definitely on my Disney to-do list so I'm interested to see what you picked. :drinking1

I am also a fan of grapefruit beer! My local liquor store stocks Schofferhofer in the summer, so there is hope for wider availability. :)

Ooh I will have to look during the summer to see if they get any grapefruit beer in! There are so many good drinks around the World Showcase sometimes it was hard to pick just one for this ;)

Just joining in - loving it so far!

You are brave to drink around the world. I think my DH would need to carry me after 3 or so drinks! At least you're spreading them out nicely!

Excited for the next update!

Welcome! Yes, that's why we left about 8 hours for drinking and had a big meal - otherwise I would've been a mess!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter