• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Veg AND non-veg together???

pezpam

DIS Veteran
OK, suggestions needed - more on sit-down restaurants as counter service is easy in this regard. I am vegetarian, but DD is not. I would reallllllly rather not call each restaurant to talk to the chef about meal options as advised by the reservations people. Any suggestions for places that are good for both vegetarians and nonvegetarians without going off-menu? I've chosen the Dining Plan so we can try places we wouldn't normally spend money on. After planning out several meals, I'm sure we'll get our money's worth overall on this trip, so I'm looking for food we'll both like, not the Best Value For The Plan. lol

Below is a link to Deb Wills site. It will take you to the main "Special Dietary Needs" page where you'll find numerous articles on being vegetarian/vegan at WDW. You will have NO problem at WDW with maintaining a veg diet.

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/special.htm

I've read all of that, but thank you! :grouphug: I guess I'm looking for more opinions. I know I'll eat well, but wonder which dishes folks would fly back to FL just to eat. We may not be able to get back to WDW for quite a while after this trip, so I want to make this trip special for my DD7 *and* for me. :daisy: :flower1: :shamrock: :flower2: :flower:

I can't recall everything I ate, but I do know that I never called ahead to make special arrangements for anything but HDDMR (and even that was done through guest services the day of the show). There were options everywhere, even by just asking the server. I recall having great veggie meals at 1900 Park FAire (breakfast), HoB Gospel Brunch, Mama Melrose, CRT (dinner) and Coral Reef. I know that's not very specific, but we had the standard veggie offering each time

My favourite surprise was the Lighthouse sandwich and veggie chili at Columbia Harbour Houe.

My daughter and her husband were with us for our last trip ~ DD is a vegetarian and her husband is a vegan. The only time we called ahead to talk to a chef was to make sure the veg dish (es) could be done vegan, which all the chefs were very glad to do.

Some of the best restaurants (ones we experienced) for vegetarians ordering directly from the menu are ~~

Rose & Crown at Epcot
Spoodles at the BW ... many choices here
Boma at AKL ... great selection
Mama Melrose at MGM
Kona at the Poly
Jiko at the AKL ... very good selections here also

You really shouldn't have a problem at any of the sit-down restaurants finding at least one good entree and some appetizer choices.
Enjoy :)

Crystal Palace!!! Awesome veg dishes!

50's prime time had some great options too! They have always worked with me to make whatever I wanted!

I will suggest eating at Boma, Brown Derby, Tangierine Cafe, Spoodles, and Coral Reef (sometimes they have a good veg dish). These places have both veg and non-veg entrees. :banana:

I just got back from 9 days at WDW yesterday and as a veg I can proudly say that I did not starve! :) Actually, it was a little hard travelling w/ 2 hard core meat eaters (ie: must have red meat w/ every meal) :sad2: cause they had a harder time than I did. The only time it was hard was while in the parks, the only non meat foods were unhealthy ones...unlesss you wanted to walk all over to find the one stand that sells fresh fruit. My solution was to bring my own snacks in the park w/ me. Dining out was another story! I found myself having to choose between dishes at many restraunts. The California grill had a great pumpkin lasagna w/ cranberries and pistachios, Portabello had many pasta options, and Rain forest cafe even had a tasty vegi stirfry. I could go on and on.... :wave2:

My DH and I make an odd couple. While he is Vegetarian, I am not. Since we eat mostly vegetarian at home, when we do go out I tend to order the steak to compensate. It is amusing that the majority of the time when the food comes out they try to give the veggie dish to me, the woman, and the big steak to my DH!

Back to topic... DH is an order off the menu, I'm not talking to anyone, type of guy and he had some great meals. These are some of the places we went and he enjoyed....

Boma... This was the winner of our trip! lots of choices - usually there are no 'choices' for him on a menu
Jiko.. It was very good, although we ate too many appetizers!
Whispering Canyon... Went for DD9 birthday choice ...and really enjoyed it!! (suprise!) They had a new dish that is not on allears - a bean stew thing that was good.
Mama Melrose... A couple choices. We were on the Fantasmic Dinner Pkg so had salad, bread, flatbread and dessert with the entree. DH was very happy leaving.
Rose and Crown... Curry Veggie Dish. He really liked it here but it could have been the black and tan's or the sticky toffee pudding!! LOL!!

Places DH didn't enjoy..
Rainforest Cafe... We did this for the girls.
Marakesh... The Veggie cous cous was a bit bland.

We did three character breakfasts as well but breakfasts are easy as a veggie. But I must say he loved the healthy choice breakfast at CRT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter