Vancouver - getting to Granville Island and suggestions

IBelieveInTheMagic

DIS Veteran
I know there are so many helpful Vancouver DIS'ers and I'd appreciate your input. We will be arriving in Vancouver next month and I estimate we should be at the Pan Pacific around 12:30pm. My tentative plan was to head to Granville Island but the logistics of getting there are throwing me off. We are traveling from the East Coast having to leave at 3am our time so we will be tired, I know but we prefer to explore once we get there.

I prefer not to take the HOHO bus as we don't want to take the whole route and the time it takes. I'd rather not take the public bus either (but perhaps those that have travelled from Pan Pacific can offer advise), and the options that seem best based on my research is to take the AquaBus or a taxi. If we take the AquaBus we must get to their location which isn't convenient to the Pan Pacific it appears. I have no issues taking a taxi if that's the best and fastest option, even if it costs a little more.

For those that have done a taxi leaving Granville Island, are they readily available? I've read parking can be a challenge there and not sure how that impacts the taxi's (if at all).

Thanks in advance :)
Heather

I walked from my hotel (Pinnacle Harborfront) down Hornby to the water taxi, rode that over, walked around, and then took the water taxi back and walked back to my hotel. It's not a bad walk and may help you feel a little more awake. You can buy a ticket on the water taxi for the round-trip, which will be a little cheaper than two one-ride tickets.

I know there are so many helpful Vancouver DIS'ers and I'd appreciate your input. We will be arriving in Vancouver next month and I estimate we should be at the Pan Pacific around 12:30pm. My tentative plan was to head to Granville Island but the logistics of getting there are throwing me off. We are traveling from the East Coast having to leave at 3am our time so we will be tired, I know but we prefer to explore once we get there.

I prefer not to take the HOHO bus as we don't want to take the whole route and the time it takes. I'd rather not take the public bus either (but perhaps those that have travelled from Pan Pacific can offer advise), and the options that seem best based on my research is to take the AquaBus or a taxi. If we take the AquaBus we must get to their location which isn't convenient to the Pan Pacific it appears. I have no issues taking a taxi if that's the best and fastest option, even if it costs a little more.

For those that have done a taxi leaving Granville Island, are they readily available? I've read parking can be a challenge there and not sure how that impacts the taxi's (if at all).

Heather

I haven't exactly done this complete route, but you can take the Skytrain (Canada Line) - (like the "monorail") from the Pan Pacific to the Yaletown stop. Walk about 2 blocks south and catch the Aquabus (at Stamps Landing) to Granville Island. When I lived in Vancouver I walked a lot and I would have walked from Pan Pacific to Granville Island and back (but I didn't mind the long walk). If you love walking, have the time and the weather is nice it's not a bad walk either. Also, bring an empty stomach, there is lots to eat at the public market. The island is also a great place to get local handmade gifts for yourself or others.

I walked from my hotel (Pinnacle Harborfront) down Hornby to the water taxi, rode that over, walked around, and then took the water taxi back and walked back to my hotel. It's not a bad walk and may help you feel a little more awake. You can buy a ticket on the water taxi for the round-trip, which will be a little cheaper than two one-ride tickets.
I did google the information and the walk didn't seem too long so we might do that to Hornby street. Perhaps if we are exhausted after the journey we can just take a taxi back to the hotel on the return portion. We do prefer to be active, without overdoing it of course :) Thanks!

I haven't exactly done this complete route, but you can take the Skytrain (Canada Line) - (like the "monorail") from the Pan Pacific to the Yaletown stop. Walk about 2 blocks south and catch the Aquabus (at Stamps Landing) to Granville Island. When I lived in Vancouver I walked a lot and I would have walked from Pan Pacific to Granville Island and back (but I didn't mind the long walk). If you love walking, have the time and the weather is nice it's not a bad walk either. Also, bring an empty stomach, there is lots to eat at the public market. The island is also a great place to get local handmade gifts for yourself or others.
I hadn't even considered the Skytrain to another location to then take the Aquabus so thanks for that :) We are big walkers, however I'm just afraid with very limited sleep the night before, leaving the house at 3am, the time difference, etc we'll be zonked and not feeling up to the entire walk, but you never know. In 2013 we did the entire walk to Stanley Park upon arrival, but then later crashed and felt like zombies and took a taxi back to the hotel. :)

Thanks to both - would love other first hand accounts!

Heather

This is exactly what we did to get to Granville Island and did the reverse to get back to the Pan Pacific. Worked great!

We were at the Pinnacle Harbourfront, and we took the bus. I can't remember the line, but I googled the route before we left home. I bought a book of tickets before boarding the bus (there were 10 of us), and used them at various points throughout our visit.

Well, I've walked TO Granville not-an-island (LOL), so I'll just let you know of that possibility. :)

DS and I walked from Hyatt Regency to where the aquabuses leave, and it was a casual easy walk (with bakeries and safe-for-him frozen yogurt (yay for Canada using tapioca syrup instead of corn syrup). HR is just a 10 minute slow saunter from PP.

Granville is a huge tourist place so taxis are plentiful.

We were at the Pinnacle Harbourfront, and we took the bus. I can't remember the line, but I googled the route before we left home. I bought a book of tickets before boarding the bus (there were 10 of us), and used them at various points throughout our visit.

Unfortunately, the ticket books are no longer available and have been replaced by something called a "Compass Card" which is some kind of reloadable card that has a deposit (and would need to be returned to get a refund on the deposit). From what I can tell, the options for tourists appear to be day passes or exact coin fare, which is irritating because I was initially going to purchase the ticket book as well. (We aren't going to Granville Island, but we do need three days of public transit and the day pass is more than I think we really need.)

I stayed at the Pan last September for our Alaskan cruise and there were PLENTY of taxis right out front of the hotel lobby. There was a even a nice gentleman with a whistle that would call one over for you. We took the Taxi to and fro Granville Island. While it was more expensive than other options, the convenience and time saving were worth it to us. PS - Granville was really cool.

Another option is the #50. I goes between the nearby Waterfront station (3 blocks from Panny) Granville Island... which later rejoins the Olympic Canada Line Station. The #50 travels above ground so you get to see the city.... love the bridge views.

http://infomaps.translink.ca/Route_Diagrams/123/r050.pdf

Taxi is about $19 the taxi fare calculator.
Thanks for the info on the bus and I guess having to have the exact change as mentioned by @anricat has led me away from this option. I'll keep it on the list and see what we find out.
This is exactly what we did to get to Granville Island and did the reverse to get back to the Pan Pacific. Worked great!
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the bus vote and as noted by @anricat those bus book of tickets don't appear to be an option any longer. Boo!
Well, I've walked TO Granville not-an-island (LOL), so I'll just let you know of that possibility. :)

DS and I walked from Hyatt Regency to where the aquabuses leave, and it was a casual easy walk (with bakeries and safe-for-him frozen yogurt (yay for Canada using tapioca syrup instead of corn syrup). HR is just a 10 minute slow saunter from PP.

Granville is a huge tourist place so taxis are plentiful.
Thanks for the info on walking the whole way to the Aquabus location. Ideally that's what I'd prefer to do so I appreciate the info! I'm glad to hear the taxi's are plentiful leaving Granville!
Unfortunately, the ticket books are no longer available and have been replaced by something called a "Compass Card" which is some kind of reloadable card that has a deposit (and would need to be returned to get a refund on the deposit). From what I can tell, the options for tourists appear to be day passes or exact coin fare, which is irritating because I was initially going to purchase the ticket book as well. (We aren't going to Granville Island, but we do need three days of public transit and the day pass is more than I think we really need.)
Hi! I remember you had previously shared this information which is exactly why I have shied away from taking the bus. I wasn't planning on bringing any Canadian funds and having to keep exact change seems like a hassle and I've read the bus takes longer to get there. Thanks for posting back to confirm the info :)
I stayed at the Pan last September for our Alaskan cruise and there were PLENTY of taxis right out front of the hotel lobby. There was a even a nice gentleman with a whistle that would call one over for you. We took the Taxi to and fro Granville Island. While it was more expensive than other options, the convenience and time saving were worth it to us. PS - Granville was really cool.
We've also stayed at the PP previously in 2013 and agreed we found the taxis in front of the hotel plentiful but I was concerned they might be harder to obtain leaving Granville so I'm glad to hear above that wasn't the case! The taxi would be more as you mentioned, but saves us decent amount of time which might allow us to squeeze something else in as well!

Thanks,
Heather

We did almost exactly this a couple of weeks ago for our June cruise! Got to the Pan around noon (we were actually able to check in early, which was a nice surprise, but they will hold your bags if your room isn't ready yet), and then caught a cab over to Granville island. It was $10-12 CAD each way and since we were traveling with tired grumpy kids well worth the couple of dollars extra. Granville island is super cool, lots of neat shops and places to eat, there is a taxi stand right by the Public Market so it was very easy to catch another cab back.

We did almost exactly this a couple of weeks ago for our June cruise! Got to the Pan around noon (we were actually able to check in early, which was a nice surprise, but they will hold your bags if your room isn't ready yet), and then caught a cab over to Granville island. It was $10-12 CAD each way and since we were traveling with tired grumpy kids well worth the couple of dollars extra. Granville island is super cool, lots of neat shops and places to eat, there is a taxi stand right by the Public Market so it was very easy to catch another cab back.
Perfect!! Thanks so much and that's exactly what I needed to hear :) I'm praying our room will be ready when we check in but if not, we'll drop off our things and head out. Just curious - did you have any issues with paying the taxi with a credit card? I've read they readily accept them and of course to ask first (just like in other places) but thought I'd ask since you took a taxi. I'm just trying to avoid carry extra cash on this vacation.

Thanks everyone - great help! :)
Heather

A couple of the taxi drivers we had wanted cash only. Even though the cars clearly read "credit cards accepted". We gave one cash then told the rest we had no cash and if he wanted money he would take our card. Everyone would take USD, though.

We actually got a bit of Canadian cash ahead of time for the trip We spent 2 days pre-cruise in Vancouver and it helped having cash on hand for tips and smaller purchases, we paid for larger purchases and meals with a card for the most part, but used cash for taxis, porters etc. Most places will take USD but they will give you change in CAD, so you won't get to take advantage of the exchange rate which is in our favor right now. Might be worth pulling out a bit of cash at one of the Airport ATMs so you have some on hand.

For taxis you can also use the ECab app which lets you call for a cab and pay using your phone (you can set up an account and add your cc ahead of time)

we did the hop on/hop off bus -- fantastic deal (sometimes they offer second day free or half price. It stopped at Granville. No time limit. When you are done just go to the designated bus stop. They ran every 15-20 minutes.

We just got back from a couple of days in Vancouver and stayed about two blocks from you. Granville Island was a huge highlight of our four days in Vancouver.

I didn't think the Sky Train ran there when I was doing my research to go to Granville. We just drove and it took about 15 minutes to get there. I would suggest just getting a cab from the hotel and heading down there.

If you haven't been there you will love it

Heather
We came back last week and stayed at the Hampton Downtown, we walked to the aquabus location and it was a beautiful ride. To get back we got a taxi. They have a taxi stop and it was easy and fast for our group of 11 to take 3 cabs.

A couple of the taxi drivers we had wanted cash only. Even though the cars clearly read "credit cards accepted". We gave one cash then told the rest we had no cash and if he wanted money he would take our card. Everyone would take USD, though.
Thanks for the info and it's looking like I'm just going to get enough cash in case we run into that situation and then use it up once we have excess :)
We actually got a bit of Canadian cash ahead of time for the trip We spent 2 days pre-cruise in Vancouver and it helped having cash on hand for tips and smaller purchases, we paid for larger purchases and meals with a card for the most part, but used cash for taxis, porters etc. Most places will take USD but they will give you change in CAD, so you won't get to take advantage of the exchange rate which is in our favor right now. Might be worth pulling out a bit of cash at one of the Airport ATMs so you have some on hand.
Exactly, I'd rather use Canadian due to the rate exchange so it looks like I'm going to get enough to cover taxi's and small miscellaneous items. In 2013 we did the same but was just trying to avoid dealing with cash, coins, etc. It is what it is, right? :)
For taxis you can also use the ECab app which lets you call for a cab and pay using your phone (you can set up an account and add your cc ahead of time)
Interesting, never heard of the app so I made note of it! Thanks!!
we did the hop on/hop off bus -- fantastic deal (sometimes they offer second day free or half price. It stopped at Granville. No time limit. When you are done just go to the designated bus stop. They ran every 15-20 minutes.
The info I had read on the HOHO is the loop can take quite awhile and I didn't want to be on the bus say an hour when we only needed 15 minutes to travel to Granville Island. Thanks for the positive report and I haven't completely ruled it out :)
We just got back from a couple of days in Vancouver and stayed about two blocks from you. Granville Island was a huge highlight of our four days in Vancouver.

I didn't think the Sky Train ran there when I was doing my research to go to Granville. We just drove and it took about 15 minutes to get there. I would suggest just getting a cab from the hotel and heading down there.

If you haven't been there you will love it
Awesome!! So glad you guys loved it! We didn't make it over in 2013 and it wasn't really on the radar so this trip, it's something I really want to do :)
We came back last week and stayed at the Hampton Downtown, we walked to the aquabus location and it was a beautiful ride. To get back we got a taxi. They have a taxi stop and it was easy and fast for our group of 11 to take 3 cabs.
This is exactly how I'm leaning - do the Aquabus for half the journey - probably journey over, then taxi back if we get tired. Glad to hear it went well for you guys and thanks!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter