• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Value Resorts

fallen_angel727

Here you leave today and enter the world of yester
Has anyone stayed at one of the value resorts for something like their honeymoon? We had booked ours for CBR and now DFi keeps lecturing me on the meaning and value of money so now that I feel bad I want to change our reservation and probably save us almost $1000 because it's either that, we don't go or I get a guilt ridden trip because "of all the money we have to spend on a stupid vacation when we could be using it to live."

Sorry, didn't mean to go that far...anyone think this might be as enjoyable for us as CBR and a night at CR would be?

We stayed at POP while on our honeymoon.

For us it was not about the place being romantic, which by is at night walking by the lake. ;)

Anyway, it was more fun and exciting for us to stay economy and have a little extra money to spend on souviners, not to mention the money we saved by staying Value.

Our thoughts were this...we are not in the resort room that much, and when we were we made it romantic.
It is all personal preference, but I would be more apt to have the honeymoon there, go Value or mod and still save. That is the best of both worlds, the honeymoon yet not go in debt or have a good savings started. JMO

And I can hear all the "it is a once in a lifetime things..." Yes it is, but so is your whole life, saving now means a better tomorrow. ;)

We stayed at POR for our honeymoon and honestly I think we should have saved money and stayed at POP or ASMusic, we were so busy running around we hardly spent time at POR. We had already bought our house together 4 months prior so our sleeping arrangements weren't anything new (wink,wink:rolleyes1). Since then we've stayed at POP and loved it, however now we like to stay at a moderate because we don't run around as much and spend afternoons back at our resort.

My bigger question at this point would be if you both have the same economic goals? What are your priorities for spending $ and what are his? Are vacations high on your list? because apparently it's not for him.

Either choice Disney can be a fantastic honeymoon:goodvibes

Although money saved is nice, I am one of those who believes it is your honeymoon and you should treat yourselves!

Stay somewhere you usually wouldnt stay usually,

but the above is right, either way a disney honeymoon will be a blast!

Thanks everyone...i feel a bit better.

And it's not that vacations aren't important to him...he's just used to for lack of a better term "cheaper" vacations like camping. All of the trips they went on as kids were camping trips wither for a weekend or 2 weeks they always camped because it was cheaper than a hotel. Which I understand, but i had assumed because he was the one suggesting it, he wanted to go back to disney at a mod. resort :confused3

*sigh* I think my issue is that we have already booked, HE booked it a couple days ago. I would have thought since he booked it it would have been OK? We were even talking about spending our first night at CR in a theme park view room. I guess I'm just kind of shocked because I didn't feel it was an issue

thank you all anyway, like i said I feel a bit better about our situation. We still have 10 months left an I don't plan on changing my signature...so I'll keep you all up-to-date if you'd like

We stayed at Pop last year for our honeymoon and enjoyed it. For us, we knew we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the room just hanging around, so we preferred to save the money on the room to have to spend on other things.

Yes, the resort is more family friendly, but we saw plenty of other couples of all ages as well. And there are plenty of places and opportunities to avoid the young crowds. Walking by the lake at night was very nice. And we swam by the 50's buildings to avoid the big crowds.

Of course we are also big kids at heart and spent time in the arcade, as well, and just wandering around enjoying the fun sights at the resort.

All that said, you guys have to decide what's right for you. It may not be the same as what worked for us.

I'm going to say that if you're doing a commando touring plan and are really only going to be on the resort to sleep, then go with Pop. However, if you're going to have down time, want to use the pools/spa or are going to hang around the resort upgrade, stay with the moderate.

Unless you can't afford it, are trying to pay off debt or some other circumstance you haven't mentioned and have an emergency savings fund, then I'm going with Treat yourself for your honeymoon!!!

We stayed at POP for an anniversary trip and it was just fine for us. Rooms were quiet and clean, POP had a little more of a grown-up feel to it (maybe due to the nostalgia of the different decades and it left more money to spend on nice dinners, drinks, etc. What POP lacked in romance we just found in other areas on property and parks.

I will say though that having done that and had a great time, having stayed at some of the other resorts, I do kind of feel that if we'd chosen a mod or deluxe, the trip would've been just that much better for us. I just couldn't justify spending the extra money while we didn't have our kids with us.

When getting married we believed in taking the plunge....had mostly nothing LOL but went to Hawaii because we thought we wouldn't get the chance too for a long time and boy we were right....still haven't went back!!

That being said, I have stayed at Pop and loved it but personally wouldn't want it for a honeymoon.. stick with the other you never know when you will have that chance again :)!

Well it's official...I will be calling first thing tomorrow morning to change our ressie to POP. I think DFi feels bad about making me switch from the mod. I wanted so badly because he's letting me add an extra night and an extra park day, which therefore adds another day to my DDP :thumbsup2

Question though...if I change my reservation, will they transfer the $200 deposit we already put down, or will then charge me for a second deposit and refund me the 1st (which doesn't really make sense, but i've heard of worse)?

Other question...man I'm just a curious one tonight...can a King bed be guaranteed if we say it's our honeymoon? The only concern i have about the value resort is the double beds as opposed to the queens

DH and I stayed at AsMu when we went alone. We were told this was the more quieter and more adults "only" value. After staying at Pop and Movies now I can say that is true!! We actually really loved Music. I think the food court was better than the other values and the whole resort seemed more relaxed. I'd definitely stay there again. I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you decide though!!

Well it's official...I will be calling first thing tomorrow morning to change our ressie to POP. I think DFi feels bad about making me switch from the mod. I wanted so badly because he's letting me add an extra night and an extra park day, which therefore adds another day to my DDP :thumbsup2

Question though...if I change my reservation, will they transfer the $200 deposit we already put down, or will then charge me for a second deposit and refund me the 1st (which doesn't really make sense, but i've heard of worse)?

Other question...man I'm just a curious one tonight...can a King bed be guaranteed if we say it's our honeymoon? The only concern i have about the value resort is the double beds as opposed to the queens

We transfered from CBR to ASMusic not that long ago and we were able to transfer our deposit with it. We went from free dinning to the 40% off instead also.
Be careful of requesting a king bed. We got one on our honeymoon at ASsports and had a roll in shower (no tub). I was a little upset. We didnt request that room, they just gave it to us. We were excited about the king bed but they didnt say anything about the bathroom situation.

I think alot of the king rooms are handicap/accessible. So you have a chance of getting a shower (which I don't take baths on vaca, so wouldn't matter to me) I don't know if being on your honeymoon will up your chances of getting one but it's worth a try. And if it's that important to you both maybe you can even move when one opens up.

FYI even CBR has double beds the only mod that has queen beds is CSR.

Requesting a King is just that....a request. It is not guaranteed, but I do think when people put on their reservation they are celebrating a honeymoon, that they try and fulfill that.

If you don't request anything else and you are going at a slower time of year you up your chances. But POP only has something like 180 rooms that are King out of 1200.

Have you considered renting points from a dvc member. You couldget a studio for less then a moderate depending on the price charged per point. As long as you don't go for the more expensive views. OKW has 2 queen beds the others have 1 queen and a sleeper sofa. That might be nice. Don't know how tall you and your fiance are. My DH is 6'1". A full size bed means his feet stick out the end unless he sleeps at a slant. When he does that then I either need to curl up or there is no room for me. For those that say they don't spend much time in their rooms I find that the smaller the room the less time we spend there. I don't mean to be crude but you are on your honeymoon. I would think you would want to spend some time in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter