Vacation Spot of the Day: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
So since it's warm out, and everyone loves to travel to soak up the warmth, every few days Ill be posting vacation spots that may or may not be interesting to eventually visit!

Have you ever been here?

Would you go again if given the chance?​

This is actually the first time I saw the ocean. I think I was 24 years old and went with some with friends. It was a great trip but it’s gotten a bit commercialized since then, so I would probably pick a different place to get my beach fix.

PS-great idea for a thread.

It's pretty much Pigeon Forge with an ocean instead of the Smokies nearby. And instead of Kountry Kookin and pancake houses, it's Fried Fish places and pancake houses.

I am going to Myrtle Beach in August, with my oldest DS and his family. I haven’t been in over 10 years! I am looking forward to walks on the beach!

I live about 20 minutes south of Myrtle Beach in Murrells Inlet. If you want to visit this area, check out Pawleys Island, North Litchfield Beach and Litchfield Beach - an area called the Hammock Coast. Gorgeous beaches. Far less commercial than Myrtle. We love living here!

We went over 10 years ago with another family and stayed at the Litchfield Beach and Gold Resort (Pawleys Island). We would stay in this area again but we would also choose Hilton Head before Myrtle Beach.

Spent some time going in the 90s. I've heard it's best to stay away now. NOt sure what has happened. I'm sure it's probably an exaggeration.

Grew up going there since I live in SC. Haven't been to Dirty Myrtle in 20 years and have no desire to go back. Hilton Head is our beach go to.

I live about 20 minutes south of Myrtle Beach in Murrells Inlet. If you want to visit this area, check out Pawleys Island, North Litchfield Beach and Litchfield Beach - an area called the Hammock Coast. Gorgeous beaches. Far less commercial than Myrtle. We love living here!
We rent a house on Pawleys island with my entire family every summer. It’s so nice. The house we’ve been renting every year for 20 years now is called the big kahuna and it has the inlet on the front of the house and the ocean out the back. There’s really awesome tide pools on the beach there where we’ve found everything from star fish to sea urchins. It’s a quiet and family oriented area. Cant recommend Pawleys island enough.

Haven't been there in 24 years! We had fun when we did visit (probably 3 or 4 times), I'm sure things have changed since 2000. We've just always went to Florida to go to Disney. Wouldn't mind going back though.

We had Myrtle Beach all planned in '97 and then last minute we switched to taking our sons to Disney instead. Never looked back. :)

But now we have visited Charleston SC a couple of times in the past couple of years as one of our sons lives there. The beaches are very nice. :beach:

I heard it is rundown and not so safe anymore, it would be nice if it got turned around but I'd read a lot of reviews and check their local news before going.

Crimegrades says:
Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 7.15.16 AM.png

I vacationed there twice in the 1980s. About 6 years ago we stopped by for a few hours after leaving Charleston and some parts looked kind of run down and seedy.

Still, there were nice places and the Swamp Fox roller coaster is fun.

Yep....we'd stay at a condo in Myrtlewood for 3 years in a row. We would hit the beach during the day and hit some interesting places at night (unmarried and younger back then). I remember the Hard Rock outside bar having a nice view of the marketplace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest