Vacation planning confusion.

Avenger9873

Buffalo New York
I am taking my two 6 year olds to Disney for the first time. I haven’t been to Disney World since I was a child in the 80’s. I have been reading the boards for a few weeks trying to get a clue. I am lost. I don’t understand fast passes. I mean I generally do but without ever having booked them when people explain it it seems like I’m reading Greek. Maybe I truly won’t understand until I actually try to get them for the trip. I’m not even sure when my time to book them would be. 60 days out from the first day of my stay? I am still unsure of what day for the two parks I think my children could handle. One has some sensory issues. We will be there from February 3-7. I have no advance dining reservations and I’m not sure if I should bother. Additionally I don’t know what rides will be ok for my kids to go on. What’s fast or scary. And boy do I not understand everyone’s short hand for which rides I should get a fast pass for. Is there a list of rides for each park? A key to the special language. Lol. How do I know if they are tall enough. Etc. we are going to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood studios. The rest of the time we will likely just see what is up with Disney Springs or whatever else might be available. I was able to get reservations at Art of Animation. I’m sorry for all of the questions. I just didn’t imagine it was so complicated when I agreed to a Disney vacation. Any help is appreciated.

This link allows you to look at all available attractions. You can filter the attractions based on thrill level, interest, age, height requirement, etc: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/
If you aren't sure about a particular ride, there are plenty of videos on YouTube that will show you exactly what the ride is like. Those are great to determine if the ride is appropriate for your kids.

For advanced dining reservations, this link will show you all of Disney's restaurants. Again, you can filter the restaurants based on price range, cuisine, etc: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

Go to the “ Welcome to the Dis” under “Forums” & there is a list of abbreviations. I’ve been on the Dis a long time & still have a hard time figuring some of them out!
You can also google the height restrictions, but they are probably tall enough to ride most things.
I also go to DW (Disneyworld😄) frequently & it’s hard work to have so much fun!
I can’t fully explain fastpasses but basically you need to figure out which rides you really really want to do & then try to get those fastpasses first.
You can see ride videos on YouTube & that can give you an idea of what your kids would like or not. Show them the videos & see what excites them.
And know you can’t do it all in such a short timespan, so just enjoy the things you do get to do.
You will have a great time no matter, I’m sure!
Oh- you should buy a Disneyworld guide book- either the official or the unofficial one. The official one will have lots of pictures & the unofficial one will give you some great tips on how to maximize your time there.

I was literally in the same boat as you just a few months ago. I didn’t know where to start and I was overwhelmed. So much so that several years ago, my cousin invited me on a trip (she goes to Disney about 3 times a year) and I declined because she sent me pages and pages of links to restaurants and told me to figure out where I wanted to eat. I noped outta that. Fast forward to now and I moved to Florida, an hour and a half from Disney, and I have a 2 year old. I knew I had to make a trip. After reading A TON of stuff over a 2 day period, I learned I could get a Disney TA. For free. So, that’s exactly what I did. I messaged for a quote and it went from there. I knew I wanted to stay at AoA, but that’s about it. But she’s made everything so easy. I haven’t stopped reading though. I follow several blogs and websites that all revolve around WDW. It’s a lot, but it’s fun to learn. I’m a super single mom and my son also has sensory issues. As far as the rides go, I’m kinda hoping for the best. Lol idk how else to go about it. My son can’t talk yet and is developmentally delayed. He wouldn’t understand ride videos on YouTube if I showed him. Idk if this helps you or not, and even with all my reading, I still don’t know all of the abbreviations. I mean, damn, there’s a crap ton of them. I have faith that you’ll figure things out and some sites explain things in better terms, or terms that you’ll click with and understand. You’ll find your way 🙂

Avenger.....my 1st trip since 1978 was 2013. I was totally lost......so, I went through a local Disney Travel Agent. She helped me ALOT!!! She booked all my dining reservations (fastpasses were not online yet) & helped me figure out what park to go to on which days.
Since then, I've been back several times and now I do all my own planning. It's part of the fun to me.
A Disney Travel Agent might be what you need.

PS...…..this board is WONDERFUL!! You can learn so much here but, it can be overwhelming.
Good Luck!! And just remember, don't try to do everything....just make sure to enjoy being at Disney!! I'm sure you will return :)

Sorry, this is a little long winded. Hope it helps though!
The first time I went, I read guide books. The second, i found the Disney parks app, and another disney world map that shows wait times and has a description (that includes minimum heights too!)

I look at this app every year for a few days before booking my fast passes, just to get an idea of what the longest waits are.

I tend to plan MK in a circle. I start left to right or vice versa depending on when I can get the ride we most want to do. (For us, it’s seven dwarf mine train!) A lot of Guide books have a touring plan so you can have an idea of what you can fit in a day, or what order to try booking your fast passes in. My family is usually done at 8000-10000 steps, and we can usually get lots done, but not all the stuff on our list. My last visit I did a lot of walking back and forth, and I got to 20 000 steps each day.

Hollywood studios doesn’t have as much walking involved, so I don’t plan a particular route when I book fast passes.

Also, as your child has sensory issues, it might be worth asking about a das pass when you get in the park. There are lots of threads about this.

For dining, if you have a dining plan, you will want to look more into table service meals as all the good reservations disappear closer to your arrival date.

If you are not on a dining plan, only eating at quick service is a great way to go. There are lots of healthy options, and the meals are generally more affordable. Lots of great options at Art of Animation!
If you were thinking about booking any table service and paying out of pocket I put my two cents in about restaurants I think 6 year olds would enjoy:

Breakfast is generally a lot cheaper than the other meals if you want to book character meals. There are some great ones in the parks and in the hotels close to the parks.

I have discovered Sci FI dine in ( a drive in movie theatre themed restaurant at Hollywood studios) has options that are the same price or slightly more than quick service options, but it books up fast.

Be Our Guest is a difficult to get quick service for breakfast and lunch reservation at magic kingdom. It is more affordable at lunch (still over priced). Way way more expensive for dinner.

At Disney springs, if you like themed restaurants, it may be worth looking at T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe.
Enjoy your vacation!

Your dates should be a lower crowd time.

For a first time visitor (or just a first time with kids visitor), my suggestion is to make a list of priorities. Name 3-5 things that are must dos for you. What needs to happen for the trip to be a success? Is it getting pictures with characters, riding certain rides, etc?

Also do your kids have an idea of what Disney is? Do they have something they would want/need to do for the trip to be a success?

And remember you know your kids best. So while some members here might say their 6 year olds loved "insert roller coaster" your kids might only like the gentler rides, and that's ok.

1. Get a guidebook.

2. Show the kids ride videos on YouTube. My kids have been several times, but we still do this for new rides or rides they have never ridden. It really helps gauge their interest. You could also do this for character meets if you’re not sure about their interest level.

3. If your kids do want to meet characters, character meals are a great way to do this without waiting in line. I honestly don’t think we’ve ever met Mickey in the park. It’s always been at a meal. There are plenty of non-character meals, also.

4. A Disney travel agent is a great resource for answering questions and making meal reservations. And they are free!

5. Don’t stress too much, both during the planning and while you’re there. It’s very overwhelming to plan your first trip, but just remember you won’t be able to do everything. Keep your expectations reasonable. I would ask the kids for their top two things they each want to see/do. Try to make those happen and then see what else you can fit in. And don’t underestimate the power of taking a break in the parks! If someone is getting overwhelmed or tired, stop, get a drink or ice cream and relax.

Also, are there particular characters or movies your kids are into? Star Wars, princesses, Toy Story, etc. We could give you suggestions for rides and attractions based on their interests.

Can I make a suggestion? My kiddo is also autistic with SPD. For a few trips, it was really difficult to manage. He struggled mostly with long lines. THATS where fast passes are helpful. Bringing a SPD child and expecting them to stand in line for an hour is a lot. The whole thing is a LOT.

So the fast passes helped, but you only get 3. so.... theres that. But we found out about DAS and it has made a HUGE difference. A cast member suggested it after my then 4 year old tried to climb over the wall at Small World And then screamed and kicked like a psycho while I tried to hold him for the rest of the wait. Smiling and saying "sorry...he struggles in line" was embatrassing for me- but the experience was miserable for him AND for those around him.

A DAS is an access pass while you wait in a virtual line instead of in person. You can get it at the front of the park and its good for your length of stay. You tell them that your child has additional sensory needs and standing in line may be overhwhelming.

Of course this isnt right for every family, but when you have a child who would not be able to go on rides with long lines bevause of their disability, its a lifesaver.

As far as magic kingdom goes? Anything but space mnt, splash mnt, 7 dwarves and big thunder my infant nephew goes on. Hes 1.

Additionally, haunted mansion is a little ghost-y and pirates of the carribean has some shooting of cannons that maybe loud and a SLIGHT drop (there arent even buckles-its that slight). But both are family friendly. Everything else is whole-family.

For hollywood studios.... torror of terror and rockin rollercoaster are probably out. Star wars is fun and my 6 year old loved it-but it can feel fast, which can be a little intense. Not scary- just intense. Its a 3d ride.

Toy story mania is family friendly. Slinky dog is a small roller coaster. Alien saucers has height resctrictions because hiofow it spins-but not scary and totally appropriate for a 6 year old.

I think thats actually it?

HS is more about the shows. The frozen sing a long is a MUST DO. Do NOT miss it. Its the best thing in the park. they also have a disney jr one, indiana jones (loud!), beauty and the beast and little mermaid.

Dont think I missed any! Good luck!

4. A Disney travel agent is a great resource for answering questions and making meal reservations. And they are free!
This is great advice. If it has been less than 30 days since you booked your reservation, you can transfer it to agent who can then get the commission from Disney for helping you plan your vacation. Look for an agent who specializes in Disney World, and who will offer full planning services (including FastPasses & Dining Reservations) as part of their commission (paid by Disney).

Planning for Disney doesn't need to turn into a job. We went earlier this year after not being at Disney for many years. If you get a list that shows the most popular rides, use your 3 FastPasses to reserve those that you are interested in which are typically the most popular. The benefit of FastPass is you don't have to wait in a 1+hr line to do a ride. Honestly, travel agents are using all the same website we all use nowadays, so to involve a 3rd party just adds more work for you.

Basically, you need to determine which days you will go to which park. You can only pre-reserve 3 FastPasses for each day, but can make other ones when onsite after you have used those up. Try to get FastPasses in the same area of the park so you aren't zig-zagging all over the park just to get to your next reservation.

Disney is really crowded most days, so no amount of pre-planning will change how many other people are there.

Last edited:
This link allows you to look at all available attractions. You can filter the attractions based on thrill level, interest, age, height requirement, etc: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/
If you aren't sure about a particular ride, there are plenty of videos on YouTube that will show you exactly what the ride is like. Those are great to determine if the ride is appropriate for your kids.

For advanced dining reservations, this link will show you all of Disney's restaurants. Again, you can filter the restaurants based on price range, cuisine, etc: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/
This is

This link was extremely helpful. Thank you.

Go to the “ Welcome to the Dis” under “Forums” & there is a list of abbreviations. I’ve been on the Dis a long time & still have a hard time figuring some of them out!
You can also google the height restrictions, but they are probably tall enough to ride most things.
I also go to DW (Disneyworld😄) frequently & it’s hard work to have so much fun!
I can’t fully explain fastpasses but basically you need to figure out which rides you really really want to do & then try to get those fastpasses first.
You can see ride videos on YouTube & that can give you an idea of what your kids would like or not. Show them the videos & see what excites them.
And know you can’t do it all in such a short timespan, so just enjoy the things you do get to do.
You will have a great time no matter, I’m sure!
Oh- you should buy a Disneyworld guide book- either the official or the unofficial one. The official one will have lots of pictures & the unofficial one will give you some great tips on how to maximize your time there.
Bought a guidebook. Great advice.

I was literally in the same boat as you just a few months ago. I didn’t know where to start and I was overwhelmed. So much so that several years ago, my cousin invited me on a trip (she goes to Disney about 3 times a year) and I declined because she sent me pages and pages of links to restaurants and told me to figure out where I wanted to eat. I noped outta that. Fast forward to now and I moved to Florida, an hour and a half from Disney, and I have a 2 year old. I knew I had to make a trip. After reading A TON of stuff over a 2 day period, I learned I could get a Disney TA. For free. So, that’s exactly what I did. I messaged for a quote and it went from there. I knew I wanted to stay at AoA, but that’s about it. But she’s made everything so easy. I haven’t stopped reading though. I follow several blogs and websites that all revolve around WDW. It’s a lot, but it’s fun to learn. I’m a super single mom and my son also has sensory issues. As far as the rides go, I’m kinda hoping for the best. Lol idk how else to go about it. My son can’t talk yet and is developmentally delayed. He wouldn’t understand ride videos on YouTube if I showed him. Idk if this helps you or not, and even with all my reading, I still don’t know all of the abbreviations. I mean, damn, there’s a crap ton of them. I have faith that you’ll figure things out and some sites explain things in better terms, or terms that you’ll click with and understand. You’ll find your way 🙂
Where do you go for a Disney TA for free?

Avenger.....my 1st trip since 1978 was 2013. I was totally lost......so, I went through a local Disney Travel Agent. She helped me ALOT!!! She booked all my dining reservations (fastpasses were not online yet) & helped me figure out what park to go to on which days.
Since then, I've been back several times and now I do all my own planning. It's part of the fun to me.
A Disney Travel Agent might be what you need.

PS...…..this board is WONDERFUL!! You can learn so much here but, it can be overwhelming.
Good Luck!! And just remember, don't try to do everything....just make sure to enjoy being at Disney!! I'm sure you will return :)
Thank you. I’m going to try this.

Where do you go for a Disney TA for free?

Some of the blogs I follow will say ‘request a free quote now’ and that’s literally what I did. In fact, I think this site is sponsored by an agency or they do it themselves. I found this site too confusing when I first started planning and reading about Disney. I did not request a quote through this site. I’d give you the name of the woman I use, but I think that’s against rules. Just make sure it’s an authorized Disney agent. Disney pays them, not you. Idk what I would have done without my agent. Yes, I could have done it myself and some of my ADRs I did change myself, but she simplifies things for me. She also answers all of my ridiculous questions lol

I think I can post the sites I read:

disneytouristblog.com
Allears.net
Wdwnt.com
Mickeyblog.com
Wdwprepschool.com
Disney parks moms panel

1. Get a guidebook.

2. Show the kids ride videos on YouTube. My kids have been several times, but we still do this for new rides or rides they have never ridden. It really helps gauge their interest. You could also do this for character meets if you’re not sure about their interest level.

3. If your kids do want to meet characters, character meals are a great way to do this without waiting in line. I honestly don’t think we’ve ever met Mickey in the park. It’s always been at a meal. There are plenty of non-character meals, also.

5. Don’t stress too much, both during the planning and while you’re there. It’s very overwhelming to plan your first trip, but just remember you won’t be able to do everything. Keep your expectations reasonable. I would ask the kids for their top two things they each want to see/do. Try to make those happen and then see what else you can fit in. And don’t underestimate the power of taking a break in the parks! If someone is getting overwhelmed or tired, stop, get a drink or ice cream and relax.
I followed your advice and booked a crystal palace character meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter