Vacation Home Rental Questions

MomluvsDisney

Earning My Ears
Hello to All,

I have a few questions in regards to renting out a house near Disney so bare with me.

I will be going to Disney in April, but I am using my hotel points for that time. However, I have read all the wonderful reviews about house rental and I plan to go that route during other visits to Disney. I am already planning another trip for 2009. I definitely do not want to stay in a hotel during future visits to Disney.

So, here are my questions:
Is it possible for me to schedule a few appointments to view a few homes and resort areas during my visit in April? I really would like to see these places in person before I make any confirmations for 2009.

Should I just contact a few home owners and resorts personally to schedule an appoinment in April?

I keep hearing about how nice Windsor Palms and Formosa Gardens are. Are there other resorts and rental communities that you will recommend to me as well?

I am worried about getting scam. Can you provide me with a list of reputable companies or home owners that you yourself have used?

What rental agencies or home owners did you have positive experiences with?

Can you provide rental agencies or home owners to avoid using? Or what places or home owners did you have negative experiences with?

What places have the best cancellation policies (God forbid something happens)?

What resorts or rental communities will you rank highly for families with young children under the age of five?

What mistakes or cons will you caution me to avoid?

Lastly, what steps do you go through in regards to house rental? It seems like every place has different policies.

I just want to hear from individuals who have experienced both positive and negative outcomes with renting a home. Any other additional information will be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance! :yay:

I used to be an "on-site only" kind of person until we rented a home. So many options. So many different companies and websites. Be sure to do your homework. Here's what I've learned...if you go through a company choose one that guarantees the home you see is the home you get. Some just book you for a certain size then assign you a home that day. Look for hidden fees like cleaning fees, processing fees, pool and spa heat, and security deposits. As more people post, I'm sure they can tell you how to check if someone is on the up and up and how to check for ownership through tax records. I've seen it on other threads.

We've rented a few times through a mgmt. company, All Star Vacation Homes, with great success. They have a variety of sized condo's and villas in the popular areas. Easy to book, you know the exact house you're getting, insurance and pool heat are included. We found the homes well stocked, clean and spacious with not a single issue. The only slight drawback is that they have higher rates than going directly through an owner. We found that it was worth the peace of mind and time we saved. We rented in the smaller developments (which we loved) but we hope to rent next time in either Windsor Hills for the great pool and play areas or Formosa Gardens for the space/privacy. Windsor Hills might be your best bet.

While our upcoming trip will be the first time we've rented through an owner (I'm still a little aprehensive and we have yet to choose a home), the few that we've contacted have been very professional and up front about their policies. All offered to provide references.

Good luck! PM me if I can answer any other questions for you about All Star.

Hasil72,

I found All Star's website easier to navigate and in great detail than other company sites that I have visited. Its good to know that you too recommend them. I asked this question on other travel boards and it seems like All Star ranks pretty high on everyone's list. Their prices do seem a bit more expensive, but I need that additional security by renting through a reputable place.

What community did you rent your previous homes from?

Thanks Again!

We rented in Oak Island Cove, Oak Island Harbor, and Acadia Estates (in that order). OIC and OIH are older very small developments, no gated security, playgrounds etc. Acadia Estates are newer and larger. All Star only rates the homes in OIC/OIH at "3 stars" but they seemed great to us. Not much different than the "5 star" Acadia Estates. The drawback to all three is that the homes are one on top of the other; although we never had any problems with noise. All Star has a map of all their developments and they are all within close proximity plus the office is in the shopping center right on 192. We even borrowed movies from them one day that it rained.

I can't stress how great it was to rent a home. The first time, DS was maybe 5 and DD was only 1 and in a still in a crib AND we traveled with both grandmothers (never again) as well as my brother and his girlfriend. Everyone had their own space, the kids could play and spread out, no fighting for a spot at the pool, etc. It was wonderful to come back from the parks and pull up a chair under the lanai while the kids were in bed. They even provided baby monitors, strollers, etc. As much as I would LOVE to stay at the Poly, I can't imagine keeping my kids confined to a single room or telling DH it's time for lights out at 9pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter