Using Wise account in France

JKCDA

Earning My Ears
So I've never travelled outside of North America (I'm in Canada), and my daughter and I are taking a trip to Paris in August, with a sidetrip to Disneyland Paris (of course!). I have a set budget, and CDN$ to Euros is ridiculously expensive when using your credit card, so I signed up for a Wise account. I've done the required move of just 20 Euros to set up the account, and received my card yesterday.

What I'm wondering is does it make sense for me to transfer my Canadian dollars I'm holding in a travel savings account into the Wise Euro account? Will I be able to use it as I would a Canadian debit card, to like pay for dinner in Paris, or for souvenirs in Disney.

I just don't know how it actually works, and I don't want to move a few hundred dollars into the Wise account and find out I can't use it how I'm hoping to.

Do you have a Debit Card ( your everyday shopping bank card ) with a

Chip & Pin facility or new Tap facility ?

If yes then it should work in Europe Just USE it at a Bank ATM

to withdraw funds ( Euros )........ a currency fee will be charged

If your MAIN Bank Credit Card like Master card has also got Chip & Pin

use this as well

Note When you" insert your Card " at a ATM your home language will be displayed

with instructions

Never heard of a Wise A/c card & you MIGHT have difficulty using it in Local shops

Stick to your everyday Bank Cards & you will be fine

I've used the Wise card when going from UK to Russia (three years ago) and have just set it up to use in US when I go in a couple of weeks. The app and the process works great and would recommend it. Make sure you setup/open your account in euros and transfer into that. I think it's free to withdraw cash twice per month (up to 200) but for paying via credit card it's good too (and good exchange rate.

So I've never travelled outside of North America (I'm in Canada), and my daughter and I are taking a trip to Paris in August, with a sidetrip to Disneyland Paris (of course!). I have a set budget, and CDN$ to Euros is ridiculously expensive when using your credit card, so I signed up for a Wise account. I've done the required move of just 20 Euros to set up the account, and received my card yesterday.

What I'm wondering is does it make sense for me to transfer my Canadian dollars I'm holding in a travel savings account into the Wise Euro account? Will I be able to use it as I would a Canadian debit card, to like pay for dinner in Paris, or for souvenirs in Disney.

I just don't know how it actually works, and I don't want to move a few hundred dollars into the Wise account and find out I can't use it how I'm hoping to.
Hello Fellow Canadian! I just returned for a week long trip to France with my two kids, age 15 and 10- June 5-12. We took the WJ direct flight from Halifax to Paris- It was cancelled on the way home- but that of course is another story. They put us on a AC flight a few hours later.
WE did not end up doing DLP, as I had just planned the trip a week and a half before! I have been to Europe a few times, but always had my husband with me. I looked all through this DLP board and got lots of info to help me with Paris.
I used the shuttle recommended and put info on here about an e-Sim card to use on your phone.

The Metro was easy to Navigate, we Stayed in the 11th Arr and would stay there again.

I got 500 Euro's from Bank at home. I had to use 70 in cash to get us from airport to hotel. I have a Scotia Bank Visa, with low Foreign Exchange rate, I honestly used this for almost everything. Most places I could use tap like at home, but sometimes had to put in PIN. Maybe twice I took cash out of bank machine. But just like home, mostly used Credit card!

The e sim was great, used google maps on my phone often to get places. Numbers on buildings often not visible.

We did a tour of Louvre and Eiffel Tower. Used skip the line options and bought tickets on Viator.

I was terrified of pick pockets, as you read so much about this. We mostly used cross body bags and fanny packs. no issues.

Feel free to message if you have any questions.

Hello Fellow Canadian! I just returned for a week long trip to France with my two kids, age 15 and 10- June 5-12. We took the WJ direct flight from Halifax to Paris- It was cancelled on the way home- but that of course is another story. They put us on a AC flight a few hours later.
WE did not end up doing DLP, as I had just planned the trip a week and a half before! I have been to Europe a few times, but always had my husband with me. I looked all through this DLP board and got lots of info to help me with Paris.
I used the shuttle recommended and put info on here about an e-Sim card to use on your phone.

The Metro was easy to Navigate, we Stayed in the 11th Arr and would stay there again.

I got 500 Euro's from Bank at home. I had to use 70 in cash to get us from airport to hotel. I have a Scotia Bank Visa, with low Foreign Exchange rate, I honestly used this for almost everything. Most places I could use tap like at home, but sometimes had to put in PIN. Maybe twice I took cash out of bank machine. But just like home, mostly used Credit card!

The e sim was great, used google maps on my phone often to get places. Numbers on buildings often not visible.

We did a tour of Louvre and Eiffel Tower. Used skip the line options and bought tickets on Viator.

I was terrified of pick pockets, as you read so much about this. We mostly used cross body bags and fanny packs. no issues.

Feel free to message if you have any questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter