Using my DSLR in Disney

Monorail3

Carousel of Progress
What do people reccomend bring for eqpt. While trying to still enjoy your family vacation? I have a Nikon D90 and wasn't sure what I should bring for Lenses and flash to the parks while still trying to go on all the rides and enjoy my vacation

I travel light in the parks. I have my camera on a comfy strap around my neck with a 28-105 walkaround lens on. I use a Lenscoat Bodybag to protect it from getting knocked around. Sometimes I'll stick a fast prime for dark rides, my fisheye or a tele zoom in the pack I use to carry the water and ponchos in. I also keep a plastic bag incase it rains.

I've travelled heavy (big bag, multiple lenses), and travelled very light (nothing but an advanced point & shoot). Two very different photographic experiences, and loved both.

So it's really what you're comfortable carrying, how much you are comfortable lugging around, understanding that it can make just walking around the park more cumbersome.

I do recommend bringing a decent amount of your gear -- anything you might realistically truly want to use -- with the understanding you can leave most of it in the room. Just pull out the tripod 1 night. Just pull out the super telephoto for the day at Animal Kingdom. Etc.

I travel heavy also...multiple lenses...all my gear. I hate not having something. :P

I have a case logic large case that to me insn't too bad. It was on my last trip that I had my point and shoot and talked to another gentleman that was using this and I had to get one.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SL...id=1359749093&sr=8-7&keywords=DSLR+case+logic

In it I keep my more common used items.

D90
Extended grip with extra battery
Flash
6 lens filters
55-300 mm Tele
18-105 mm

I'm just concerned when I go on rides what I do with it? As my wife and daughter go on all of them together

I bring everything to Disney. I leave what I don't want that day in the room. The last 2 trips I brought a travel tripod and on both trips it has broken! I haven't had much luck! My next trip I will bring my full size tripod.

This is what I carry everyday in the parks:
Crumpler 6 Million Dollar bag
Pentax K-5 w/battery Grip
Pentax DA 18-55 WR
Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

My first recommendation is to decide what type of vacation you want. As you can readily see by the previous posts, it is an idividual decision. For myself, I bring a lot of gear because photography is an integral part of my every 1 1/2-2 year trip. I also have to be cognizant of weight and bulk because I fly to WDW. I will continue to fly Southwest until such times as they start charging for checked bags!!:rotfl2: My family allows me to go off on photography jaunts by myself. It also helps that the DW is also a photographer! If my plan was to spend as much time with the family taking in the sights, rides and attractions, I probably would go light maybe even using P & S'. It really is dependent on what you are going to shoot because things like fireworks traditionally requires a tripod. Lowlight rides require a large aperture lens. Safari ride is shot best with a zoom out to 150-200mm. So as is apparent, it really requires you to make a decision how much and what you want to shoot. Here is an example of what I bring (I try to shoot everything)

WDW Camera Equipment 2011 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

WOWSER. Ok well I thik I'm going to bring my complete bag but my question is what do you do with your gear while going on rides. I think if I'm subjected to just that bag I'll be fine but I'm concerned with what I should do come time to ride Everest, Tower of terror, Rock n Roller coaster, Space Mountain ETC.

coming over from the UK means that WDW is a big trip for us. My wife and I both enjoy photography and our DS doesn't mind waiting a few minutes here and there while we wait for the monorail to come around!

We both take almost all our kit but only carry a few lenses each day - we leave the rest behind in villa/hotel safe.
we take ...
10-24 mm
28mm (dark rides)
50 mm (dark rides)
18-200 mm x2 (general walk about lens)
100mm (Fantasmic)
55-300mm (AK)

plus a tripod (we now have 2 for our next trip - whenever that will be:))
waterproof camera for the waterparks
video camera (hardly used - will leave behind next time!)

Our kit by limegreenlife, on Flickr

At Disney, you can take your equipment with you on every ride. Get a good bag. On many rides there is a place you can stow it (e.g. under the seat in Star Tours). If your bag doesn't fit (for example, in the little bags in front of your seat in Rock'n'Roller Coaster) you could just sit it on the floor and put your foot through the strap. You might want to be a little careful of water on Splash Mountain. I think there are now lockers near Kali River Rapids (there's also a storage place in the middle of the boat). You can also always rent a locker near the front of the park, if you will go stretches (say in the middle of the day) without an interest in taking pictures. My camera and several lenses have all ridden all the thrill rides in Disney with no problems in my Lowepro Slingshot 100AW bag.

I stow the camera on only a couple rides at Disney. On-ride photography is one of the things I look forward to most at Disney!

On Soarin, they will let you put oversize bags to the side on the floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter