Using Mears for Disney hotel to Universal trip?

Hobbes

DIS Veteran
We are doing a day at Universal this time and as we don't drive we were intending to use Mears for the transfer. Has anyone any tips on this? We are 2 adults only. When I posted on the transport forum several Americans suggested Uber were cheaper but I understand that means mucking about opening an account which basically we can be bothered to sort for one day!
I'm really excietd about this-we have watched the Universal vids on Youtube so much now I feel we know it as well as we do WDW!

I've used both Uber and Mears to get from Disney to Universal. There are pros and cons to both.

Uber - PROS: cheaper, only book when you need it so you can be more go with the flow, you can use if at Disney if you are head from resort to resort, app is really easy to sort out and use.
CONS: Have to have a special app, I haven't always been too confident the uber drivers know where they are going

Mears: PROS: multiple options (shuttle, private car), reliable and well known service, once booked it's all done and doesn't rely on park wifi
CONS: more expensive, will have set pick up times which means you may miss out on something or be stressed about making it back to the pick up point on time

Honestly because I use Uber all the time and am used to the app so I would use Uber over Mears. It is easy, you just have to make sure you drop the location pin where you want to be picked up from, not where you are (I have previously made that mistake). Plus I stay on-site usually so I have access to the hotel wifi.

If you do decide to use Mears, DON'T book a shuttle. It's not worth the hassle in my opinion even if it is cheaper. Get a private car or just grab a normal cab.

We are doing a day at Universal this time and as we don't drive we were intending to use Mears for the transfer. Has anyone any tips on this? We are 2 adults only. When I posted on the transport forum several Americans suggested Uber were cheaper but I understand that means mucking about opening an account which basically we can be bothered to sort for one day!
I'm really excietd about this-we have watched the Universal vids on Youtube so much now I feel we know it as well as we do WDW!

Hobbes, you sound like us. My husband and I had a day trip planned at Universal a while ago and didn't know what service to use. We gave Mears a try, but for us, it didn't work out at all. The day before our trip to Universal, we went to the hotel front desk concierge and asked if they could contact Mears and set up a pickup time for 7am the next morning. They did do that, and we thought all was set. Wrong. The next morning we were at the front of the resort at appx 6:45 am and Mears did not show up at all. We waited until 7:45am and finally we called a cab. The cab was waiting at the resort and we were on our way quickly and comfortably. We however did not get to the park early like we had planned, since we had only one day for Universal.
It did cost more for the trip to Universal, but it was reliable and quick, and well worth it for us. We were disappointed in Mears because they are associated with Disney in some way.
I know others have had good experiences with Mears, but we are one and done. We don't do Uber because we don't have a smart phone (personal choice).
I hope this helped you somewhat. Good Luck!

Uber always nowadays - it's all about the cost. I could direct them if they seemed lost!

Another vote for Uber, it will also be free!
When you register for Uber, you can get a referall code that gives you $25 off you first trip, which is more than it would cost from DIsney to Universal. I can give you mine, if you want, send me a PM (hopefully this isn't against forum rules).

Another vote for Uber, it will also be free!
When you register for Uber, you can get a referall code that gives you $25 off you first trip, which is more than it would cost from DIsney to Universal. I can give you mine, if you want, send me a PM (hopefully this isn't against forum rules).

Thats assuming you don't already have a UK account set up!

We costed up both Uber and Mears over the course of our two week stay. We visited a couple of malls, Universal and Discovery Cove so had a few trips to make outside of Disney transport. Mears came out at $250 more than if we used Uber. One thing you could do is one of you get an account which entitles you to a discount (make sure you sign up whilst your in the states though or it will be in pounds), once one of you is up and running, refer the other person and you then get another discount whilst the new person gets their first trip free, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

With the driver and safety aspect we had a poor experience once with uber and the rest were great. Most of the drivers were disney employees who uber on the side so are really chatty and know where they are going. The one that wasn't great was a pick up from a mall so off disney site and the photo of the driver on the app didn't match up to the person picking us up and she had no idea where she was going so cost more. Quick complaint through the app and we got the fee reimbursed.

we have this same dilemma
DS and DDIL are spending one day at universal (the rest of our group of 8 are staying put at WDW)..
unless i drive them, they'll have to get there and back somehow.
i'm a bit leery about uber......i've heard stories about not the best drivers (especially in the orlando area).
i'd feel a lot better if i knew a specific uber driver..
i've heard about an app called uzerve...or something like that....where you get to vet the uber drivers...
not sure how it works..

we have this same dilemma
DS and DDIL are spending one day at universal (the rest of our group of 8 are staying put at WDW)..
unless i drive them, they'll have to get there and back somehow.
i'm a bit leery about uber......i've heard stories about not the best drivers (especially in the orlando area).
i'd feel a lot better if i knew a specific uber driver..
i've heard about an app called uzerve...or something like that....where you get to vet the uber drivers...
not sure how it works..

I've seen Mears Cab drivers cut people up and generally not know where they are going in Orlando too.

I think people like mentioning Uber 'horror' stories because it's new. I've had to personally direct Mears drivers around Universal and WDW before!

UZURV is a great idea (you browse the profiles of the available drivers in the area, then select them rather than the driver picking up the job as usual), but I've read on driver forums alot of drivers are reluctant to pickup using it as the customer is expecting and Uber X price, but the driver only does Uber Black

Last edited:
I've seen Mears Cab drivers cut people up and generally not know where they are going in Orlando too.

I think people like mentioning Uber 'horror' stories because it's new. I've had to personally direct Mears drivers around Universal and WDW before!

UZURV is a great idea (you browse the profiles of the available drivers in the area, then select them rather than the driver picking up the job as usual), but I've read on driver forums alot of drivers are reluctant to pickup using it as the customer is expecting and Uber X price, but the driver only does Uber Black

my mom has used uber in detroit (where she lives)..
her first few drivers were a bit scary for her (as she lives alone and really didn't trust them).
but then she got a driver whom she liked and trusted..
so since then she's used him as her regular driver....she doesn't use uber at all anymore..
whenever she needs to get anywhere, she just calls him directly..
to me that's the perfect thing....using a driver, you know and trust...
but of course, that's not possible in a holiday situation....
i've had so many bad taxi drivers over the years...it's so hit or miss...and i'm sure the same is true of uber...

I've never used the option, but I think Uber drivers are reviewed, so I guess one can reject them when they pick up the job?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter