Using magicband to charge...

There’s a very long thread on the Resorts board that discusses this in great detail - see https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-credit-card-authorization-holds.3729383/. The issues that seem most common are people having their CC accounts frozen due to multiple small holds causing their bank to be concerned about fraud; holds not dropping off quickly after Disney puts the actual charge through, thus causing “double charges” against the person’s credit limit; and CCs being “disconnected” from MDE on day 5 when actual charges are put through. @Pkltm’s story above is the worst I’ve read and is inexcusable on Disney’s part.

I really think Disney needs to increase the initial hold amount so that the number of incremental holds is decreased. Many people have started charging directly to their debit or credit card at point of sale — and report they’re spending less as a result.

We were there for 10 days in April. We had 2 rooms, on my room we put our Amex on the room, they did the initial hold and then each purchase added that amount or addition hold- example breadsticks at the food court, hold for $3, we did not reach the max for the resort, but policy is on day 5 they charge your card, - so they charged it and put on another hold, but the first holds didn't come off, we ended up with $1200 hold on our card plus the charges. The hold came off a few days after we returned home.

On the other room, the same type of thing where the holds kept going on, but the credit company (Mastercard) actually flagged the continuous small holds as fraud and froze their card. The hotel staff was very rude to the members of the room and despite them having another card to pay with did not put the charging ability back on the room. They had even had to speak to mastercard to verify the holds. It was a rough experience with the front desk staff, we won't stay there again. My MIL ended up in tears on the first - the only tears on vacation should be tears of joy!

Our next trip in September I think we will skip the CC on the room. I know it will save us money as I will have to stick to my budget lol

We had a very similar experience on our trip in April. We stayed at the Poly DVC, did online check in so we never went to the Front Desk. Supposedly, if we had, this new policy would have been reiterated to us. Seemingly on the 2nd credit card authorization attempt, our card flagged it and that is where it all went bad. The ensuing attempts to make it right were not very ‘Disney-like’. In the end, Poly management came through, but what hassle. I, too, would much prefer the initial hold per resort category and be done with it.

Disney Visa will give you some cash back on a card you can use at Disney, but there is an annual charge for the card. If you just want a credit card solely for DIsney, and intend to pay it all off whenever you use it, I'd check with your bank or credit union to see if they have a credit card with no annual fees. My Credit Union has a cash back credit card with no annual fees.
I agree 100% go with your local financial institution (Ive seen that credit unions have the lowest rates) and apply for a credit card with a limit that is high enough for what you typically may need.

Latest posts

facebook twitter