Using Gift Cards to Pay for Meals

zebrastreyepz

DIS Veteran
I am guessing you just tell the server that is what you're doing? They won't automatically charge your room via the MagicBand?

We haven't been in almost 2 decades so it feels like everything is new.

Yes, you can. You can also have them charge your magicband and then settle up at the hotel. We've done that before and just used our gift cards to pay, that way we weren't carrying anything extra into the parks.

Yes, you can. You can also have them charge your magicband and then settle up at the hotel. We've done that before and just used our gift cards to pay, that way we weren't carrying anything extra into the parks.
So, if you use your MagicBand to "pay" you don't actually pay until checkout?

I just use the gift card. I'm sitting there with nothing to do, why add an extra step at the hotel when I probably DO have other things to do?

So, if you use your MagicBand to "pay" you don't actually pay until checkout?
When you have reached a certain dollar amount your on your bill, your CC will be charged. I think the value starts at $1000, but I could be off. We just go every couple days to apply a gift card to the balance. I have missed the cutoff before and they were able to reverse the charge and apply the gift card.

I prefer to use my Magic Band to charge everything to our room account. It is so convenient. Then every few days I go to concierge and apply the gift card to the room balance. Nothing to worry about,
You can do this with meals, tips, souvenirs and it is very easy and convenient.

We just hand them the gift card in like we would a credit card. The only question you will get asked about payment is "Are you on a Disney Dining Plan ?"
We have used gift cards at Disney and non-Disney owned restaurants.

I prefer to use my Magic Band to charge everything to our room account. It is so convenient. Then every few days I go to concierge and apply the gift card to the room balance. Nothing to worry about,
You can do this with meals, tips, souvenirs and it is very easy and convenient.
I'm not trying to be argumentative but how is it easy and convenient to make a special trip to the front desk to pay for the same thing a second time? I just never understood that. But maybe my vacations are more go-go-go than yours since I'm traveling with a kid and they are far less frequent. I had to deal with a DDP issue that meant 3 trips to the front desk and it was irritating to have to go there first (it was a special trip and not on the way to anywhere) and second to wait in line for someone to open up. It is not so much harder to pay by gift card right there at the table than MB (you just hand it to the server) that I would want to build up a second trip to have to deal with paying off my room bill at some point later. I would not want that hanging over me, that I have to go and pay it off before they charge it back to my credit card... it would be a constant worry in the back of my head, and then I am stuck with this gift card good nowhere but disney!

I'm not trying to be argumentative but how is it easy and convenient to make a special trip to the front desk to pay for the same thing a second time? I just never understood that. But maybe my vacations are more go-go-go than yours since I'm traveling with a kid and they are far less frequent. I had to deal with a DDP issue that meant 3 trips to the front desk and it was irritating to have to go there first (it was a special trip and not on the way to anywhere) and second to wait in line for someone to open up. It is not so much harder to pay by gift card right there at the table than MB (you just hand it to the server) that I would want to build up a second trip to have to deal with paying off my room bill at some point later. I would not want that hanging over me, that I have to go and pay it off before they charge it back to my credit card... it would be a constant worry in the back of my head, and then I am stuck with this gift card good nowhere but disney!

I feel a bit like you are being argumentative. We are all different. Charging everything to my Magic Band - not just meals but tips, snacks, souvenirs - is best for us.
I enjoy my trip to the Front Desk. I enjoy interacting with the CM's there who help me. I enjoy a few minutes alone away from my family.
Different than you - but good for me.

Here is an idea that worked like a charm for our last trip. First of all, I bought the gift cards at BJ'S and got a discount. Yay mom! Second, I would look at each day's meal plans and then load plenty to cover for the whole day of eating and snacking. So, our last trip for 7 days, we had 7 "meal cards". Each morning, my husband would pop that days card in his wallet and we would use it. Lastly and most certainly most importantly ;) our kids knew whatever was left over on the cards at the end of the day could be used for whatever junk they wanted to buy, MB accessories, the 9th bag of goofy candy, etc. This amazingly simple idea saved so much wasted food. They were willing to share food with us or even each other, when I knew their portions would be too much for them alone.

I feel a bit like you are being argumentative. We are all different. Charging everything to my Magic Band - not just meals but tips, snacks, souvenirs - is best for us.
I enjoy my trip to the Front Desk. I enjoy interacting with the CM's there who help me. I enjoy a few minutes alone away from my family.
I also just charge everything as I go to my MB and then pay at the end of my stay. I think it's easier than carrying around a bunch of gift cards and trying to calculate in morning how many of them I need for the day. Even if Disney charges my credit card, they will reverse the charge when they apply the gift cards. If you want to make it easier for the front desk CM you can always combine your gift cards in advance and they only have to scan one card instead of 10 or more of them.

I also just charge everything as I go to my MB and then pay at the end of my stay. I think it's easier than carrying around a bunch of gift cards and trying to calculate in morning how many of them I need for the day. Even if Disney charges my credit card, they will reverse the charge when they apply the gift cards. If you want to make it easier for the front desk CM you can always combine your gift cards in advance and they only have to scan one card instead of 10 or more of them.
There aren't many people checking in/out late at night so almost always no wait...and I like strolling back after getting the gift card out of the safe for a little quiet time...Especially at Poly where it can be dark other than the torches.

Well I just carry around my one main gift card too... I don't carry around a pile of them. That would be ridiculous. I always buy smaller denominations then immediately transfer them to my main one. I do not spend in excess of $1k on vacation usually after all of the prepaid stuff so just having the one is not an issue at all. I can't imagine standing there while they scan a whole pile of gift cards! I figured everyone combined.

Unless I am misremembering, whether you scan your MB or a card, they have to go back and grab the receipts to sign, right? so how is it harder to use a gift card at the table than a MB? same amount of time to do both.

I go nowhere without my child so this is just major hassle for me... alone time is a thing that only happens after bedtime ;). But if you can and want to take a walk alone then I can see the charm. But it is not "easier" - you are adding an extra step to the whole process. It is a step that you enjoy but it is there nonetheless. I also put everything on my gift card (tips, snacks, souvenirs), until it was gone, then I just used the MB for the extras (I bought low on the gift card because I did not want to end up with leftovers) and had that automatically go to my card. You have to pay one way or the other so the extra 2 seconds of taking the gift card out of my purse (i have card slots directly in my purse and don't use a wallet on vacation) is way preferable to me than having to make an extra trip or two or three to the front desk. We do all have preferences but you can't argue it is less work to do it that way (and less work is my priority on vacation!)

I go nowhere without my child so this is just major hassle for me... alone time is a thing that only happens after bedtime ;). But if you can and want to take a walk alone then I can see the charm. But it is not "easier" - you are adding an extra step to the whole process. It is a step that you enjoy but it is there nonetheless. I also put everything on my gift card (tips, snacks, souvenirs), until it was gone, then I just used the MB for the extras (I bought low on the gift card because I did not want to end up with leftovers) and had that automatically go to my card. You have to pay one way or the other so the extra 2 seconds of taking the gift card out of my purse (i have card slots directly in my purse and don't use a wallet on vacation) is way preferable to me than having to make an extra trip or two or three to the front desk. We do all have preferences but you can't argue it is less work to do it that way (and less work is my priority on vacation!)[/QUOTE]

Wow!!!
Whatever you say. :-)
I agree your way is better for you. My way is better for me.
I am not trying to convince anyone of anything.
I am done here

Well I just carry around my one main gift card too... I don't carry around a pile of them. That would be ridiculous. I always buy smaller denominations then immediately transfer them to my main one. I do not spend in excess of $1k on vacation usually after all of the prepaid stuff so just having the one is not an issue at all. I can't imagine standing there while they scan a whole pile of gift cards! I figured everyone combined.

Unless I am misremembering, whether you scan your MB or a card, they have to go back and grab the receipts to sign, right? so how is it harder to use a gift card at the table than a MB? same amount of time to do both.
I would not want to carry $1000 in gift cards with me. That would be ridiculous. That's the same as carrying cash and if something happens and I lose it, I'm out a bunch of money. My gift card(s) stay in the safe until the end of the trip where they can't get lost. When we stayed offsite last summer, we still paid with gift cards and we brought multiple ones with us for that day (I was too lazy to combine them in advance like @TellTheHubbyLater did ;)) and I was much more comfortable carrying only $100-$200 around with me.

I get your point. It is one more step to pay at the front desk but it's worth it for me to (1) see everything on one bill and (2) keep my gift card(s) safe from loss.

I would not want to carry $1000 in gift cards with me. That would be ridiculous. That's the same as carrying cash and if something happens and I lose it, I'm out a bunch of money. My gift card(s) stay in the safe until the end of the trip where they can't get lost. When we stayed offsite last summer, we still paid with gift cards and we brought multiple ones with us for that day (I was too lazy to combine them in advance like @TellTheHubbyLater did ;)) and I was much more comfortable carrying only $100-$200 around with me.

I get your point. It is one more step to pay at the front desk but it's worth it for me to (1) see everything on one bill and (2) keep my gift card(s) safe from loss.

What I do (if you care, lol) is I combine them onto one card (and I only had about $500 on it, not $1000, because that was enough for me) and I keep a second card empty so if I lose it, I can quickly transfer the balance over. But I do keep pretty good track of my stuff. I might not want to carry around that much either, but a few hundred dollars is fine (and it's only that high for a day or two). But I don't have a big family so my expenses are a fraction of those who do have a big family (and also other people to watch their kids). Things that are a huge hassle for me are a couple of moments of peace for others. Also some people love the flexibility of counter service, for me it is uncertainty and annoyance that detracts rather than adds from my vacation. I see your point about not wanting to carry a grand around with you though (especially if you might not notice that you lost it). For me my expenses are small (relative to others with bigger parties... Disney is expensive! and I also prepaid a bunch of stuff so it was just for tips and souvenirs) so it's not that big of a deal to me.

But yes, the not carrying around $1000 at a time is a good reason and kind of what I was asking ;)

Last edited:
I am guessing you just tell the server that is what you're doing? They won't automatically charge your room via the MagicBand?

We haven't been in almost 2 decades so it feels like everything is new.

To get back to the original question and not a debate on whether gift cards or MagicBands are better or worse so we can help the OP - once the bill is presented, you can pay by however you want. MagicBand, gift card, credit card, debit card, and *gasp* even cash :) Your server will not assume you are putting it on your MagicBand at all.

Just to add another potential issue with gift cards - sometimes they dont work. There may be $$ on it, but Ive had 2 GC that just didn't seem to want to work with either the restaurant or @ checkout, but they worked at the gift shop. i think they were TD Bank GCs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter