Using DVC points after a vacation is booked??

CindeBella

Mouseketeer
Hi,
can anyone tell me if I am able to use points after a vacations is already booked?

We are planning to purchase a DVC membership and would still like to go at the time our trip is already planned in December. Will I be able to use the points rather than paying out of pocket?

Thanks for any advice you can give!! princess:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but...

I'm assuming the OP has booked at a DVC resort, but I am wondering what resort specifically. In order to book through DVC using points you must call member services once you actually get your points. Then they will check availability based on the amount of rooms that DVC has available. There are times when DVC is not available but cash rooms are. There are also times when DVC is available but cash rooms are not (seldom does this happen). Once you call MS and they tell you that the room is available, then you can book using your points. You must then cancel your room that you did NOT book through DVC. DVC is basically a different entity where you cannot book through (for example) the Disney website and then call Member Services and say that you have a reservation but now want to use your points and get your room deposit back.

Hope this helps. Which resort are you already booked at?

That depends on whether anything is available at the time you want to go. Are you saying that you now have a cash reservation and you would like to book a similar reservation using points?

Are you planning on purchasing from Disney? A few resales, not all, have stripped contracts which will give you no points this year.

I purchased my points in May and already had a December OKW stay scheduled through CRO. My guide told me if there was any availability at OKW for the nights I was currently scheduled, they would be able to cancel my CRO reservation and reserve it through MS on points. If the nights had not been available, I would have had to waitlist like any other member. Keep in mind I was still calling prior to the 7 month window opening.

So, don't cancel your reservation with CRO until you have spoken with MS and know what is available.

I purchased my points in May and already had a December OKW stay scheduled through CRO. My guide told me if there was any availability at OKW for the nights I was currently scheduled, they would be able to cancel my CRO reservation and reserve it through MS on points. If the nights had not been available, I would have had to waitlist like any other member. Keep in mind I was still calling prior to the 7 month window opening.

So, don't cancel your reservation with CRO until you have spoken with MS and know what is available.

Thanks!!

That depends on whether anything is available at the time you want to go. Are you saying that you now have a cash reservation and you would like to book a similar reservation using points?

Are you planning on purchasing from Disney? A few resales, not all, have stripped contracts which will give you no points this year.

Disney has a waiting list for BWV. There is 135 points available this year.

Disney has a waiting list for BWV. There is 135 points available this year.
The 7 month window for December opened in May and December is very popular with DVC members. VWL, BWV & BCV are all difficult to reserve for December unless you book during the home resort advantage.

I really doubt a waitlist would come through especially since you haven't bought yet and so aren't even on it yet. The good news is that if you buy, your future December stays at the BWV will not be a problem.

Good luck with your purchase!

Hi,
can anyone tell me if I am able to use points after a vacations is already booked?

We are planning to purchase a DVC membership and would still like to go at the time our trip is already planned in December. Will I be able to use the points rather than paying out of pocket?

Thanks for any advice you can give!! princess:
This would be a new booking and cancellation of the standing reservation. You can't just sub the point into a cash reservations directly. But sometimes you can get the same thing anyway, even the same cabin for DCL at times.

The 7 month window for December opened in May and December is very popular with DVC members. VWL, BWV & BCV are all difficult to reserve for December unless you book during the home resort advantage.

I really doubt a waitlist would come through especially since you haven't bought yet and so aren't even on it yet. The good news is that if you buy, your future December stays at the BWV will not be a problem.

Good luck with your purchase!

Thanks. I wasn't sure what Disney's policy was. I thought since I already had reservations that it didn't matter how I paid for the room ~ cash or DVC points.

Learning all of the policies can be a bit overwhelming princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter