Using Crutches to Get on Rides

kwinmd

Earning My Ears
I had knee surgery and am unable to weight bear on my right leg. I have rented a wheelchair for our upcoming Disney trip but am wondering if anyone has experience getting from a wheelchair onto a ride using crutches. Because I can't walk on my leg, I will still need a way to get the few steps from the wheelchair to the ride. I can't recall ever seeing anyone do this thought and am wondering if anyone knows how Disney handles this. Can I bring crutches on the ride with me? Have my family put them on the wheelchair once I'm on the ride? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I had knee surgery and am unable to weight bear on my right leg. I have rented a wheelchair for our upcoming Disney trip but am wondering if anyone has experience getting from a wheelchair onto a ride using crutches. Because I can't walk on my leg, I will still need a way to get the few steps from the wheelchair to the ride. I can't recall ever seeing anyone do this thought and am wondering if anyone knows how Disney handles this. Can I bring crutches on the ride with me? Have my family put them on the wheelchair once I'm on the ride? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
I've seen guests transfer from a chair to a ride with canes and crutches, you cannot bring them on the ride so you leave those items behind just as you would your chair and pick them up at exit.

Also, this list may be dated but could be helpful for planning- https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/disney-world-disability-access-attractions/

Posts 18-21 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has updated information about boarding
It lists which attractions have a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV) and info about steps in.
In general, wheelchairs can be brought as close as you need to the ride vehicle; CMs will ask if you can transfer. If you plan to transfer, tell the CM you need the wheelchair as close as possible to the ride vehicle to transfer.
On some, the load and unload area are the same place and the wheelchair will be exactly where you left it. If load and unload are not in the same place, a CM will move the wheelchair to the unload area while you are riding.
CMs will instruct you what to do with the crutches; in some cases, you can bring the crutches on the attraction with you. In other, the CM will take them and they will be waiting for you when you get off.

Feel free to follow this link to the disABILITIES Board to ask questions

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter