USH rebuilding thread

perlster

DIS Veteran
I'll start if off with a quote from a very recent L.A. Times report

Universal plans to replace the animatronic King Kong and New York street backdrops destroyed by the fire, although spokesman Eliot Sekuler could not say how soon. Park officials plan to re-route the popular tram ride around fire-damaged sets to those that were untouched by the flames, including Wisteria Lane, home to "Desperate Housewives."

Really was a blessing in disguise because no matter how much we all liked seeing Kong, it was extremely outdated. This gives them the opportunity to create something bigger and better and most importantly, something new to encounter.

Really was a blessing in disguise because no matter how much we all liked seeing Kong, it was extremely outdated. This gives them the opportunity to create something bigger and better and most importantly, something new to encounter.

Kong was still good and a "classic" Universal attraction, one of those attractions that you don't want to see go ala PeopleMover at DL.

Speaking of classics - I haven't been since the early 90's but was looking forward to a return trip this fall. I told my son all about the Back to the Future ride - but looking at a map, it looks like it's gone :confused3
Is E.T. gone too?:worried:
Sorry for being a bit :offtopic:
thanks!

Oh Lord, you've missed the boat with E.T. I'm afraid. As perlsterm, that's been gone for years! The Mummy replaced it back in 2004. And as you've seen yourself on the Universal website, Back to the Future has recently been replaced by The Simpsons. I'm surprised you haven't seen or heard anything about it on the TV/Radio. Jurassic Park River Adventure is still there though. And you can't go wrong with that! :thumbsup2

Any news on just how much damage (money-wise) the fire created in the end? All I've heard is millions.

Oh Lord, you've missed the boat with E.T. I'm afraid. As perlsterm, that's been gone for years!

Yes, I am showing my age! I visited tons when I lived in San Pedro as a girl 1970-73. Then my DH worked for LA County Dept. of Public Works/Building Dept. and we got our own "pass" to drive around the back lot on our own once around 1990 - so cool. I got to see the drawings/plans for Backdraft in his office. Visited a bunch back then too. I was teaching in Santa Clarita at the time ('89 - '94), and one of my students said my voice sounded like a tour guide from Universal :rotfl:

Love the place - many memories (albeit historical!) Thinking of bringing out the kids this fall.

We had plans to visit during our Oct trip and I am going to keep them, real bummer about Kong though. I love the tram tour. We did the tour in 97 and again in 06.

I missed the ET ride, my first tour was in 97 for some reason it wasn't up that day or something can't remember now. But the Mummy is fun. Can't wait to try the Simpsons.

We were scheduled to go to Universal last Sunday but had re-booked to go the next day...what a shock to see the news. Anyway, we re-booked again for Monday once we knew the park was open and had a great time.
Yes, there is a lot of damage. All of the New York area and King Kong are gone. It's really quite sad to see first hand. The tram tour however was still good. Instead of going through that area, the tram stopped so everyone could see the damage. There were still some hot areas when we were there so firefighters and security were on hand.
We were told that King Kong will not be rebuilt but replaced with something else.
Other than that, it was business as usual and we had a great day.

The new Simpson's ride is awesome...far exceeding my expectations.

So they are going to make a new Kong ride? I've been trying to find info about it, but with little luck.

IMO, its really a travesty if they make it after the '05 Kong. I am not a fan of that one at all. I really wish they would stick to the '76 Kong (my favorite) and rebuild & expand upon Kongfrontation. Set it in Manhattan with a rampaging Kong on the loose. You know, a real life organic Kong coming after you. Not this silly CGI/3D stuff Im hearing about.

However, to try and remain unbiased, I think if they do go with a CGI/3D Kong, they need to make the ride exactly like the Spiderman ride at IOA. Thus, we're in a moving 'real life' vehicle which interacts with real object, and can also be bashed around by the CGI/3D characters. Thats the best way to do it IMO.

But all in all, I am a huge fan of the '76 film, and a huge fan of the old Kongfrontatiion (from USO) and its a real travesty and farce to hear what they are planning for King Kong.

Oh well.... :(

Speaking of classics - I haven't been since the early 90's but was looking forward to a return trip this fall. I told my son all about the Back to the Future ride - but looking at a map, it looks like it's gone :confused3
Is E.T. gone too?:worried:
Sorry for being a bit :offtopic:
thanks!
Head over to US Orlando, they still have it there, for now anyways.

**PHOTOS**Also, if you click on this link, scroll down til you find Universal [or do ctrl f, the 3rd Universal], shows you what some parts of the new backlot looks like
http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/in-the-parks/1525-special-world-color-coverage-blue-sky-harry-potter-more.html

So any word on soft openings for Kong??,we will be there on the 2nd of July and would be great to see.:cool1:

That would be great, we are going to be there the 2nd, yikes cutting It close
but Its better then knothing. Heres to pening on times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter