Used Pop up camper help!

peyjax

DIS Veteran
We have been looking for a pop up for a few weeks now and they seem to be harder to come by than we expected. I think it has to do with our price range. We found one this evening for cheaper than we expected, but it being older we have concerns.

It is a 95 Coleman stone creek. It is huge and that is what we like. Very roomy, but it is stripped down. The big concern was the small area of rust by one of the windows where it appears part of the roof was leaking. Then we saw a small amount of mold on the curtains. The canvas was older and i did not see it on that. The ends were a bit saggy, not sure if that is normal. It has a small stove but no vent. No electric brakes and it is 1600 pounds. I guess we have some concerns, but I really like the price. They took $900 off asking price and we are getting it for the low end of NADA value.

WE are clueless as we are new to this world. Any suggestions would be great. Things to look out for and questions to ask. We have not bought it yet, but just got the call that they would take close to what we were asking. Is it easy to add things and do repairs or is it so expensive that it is not worth it. It seems that the things we are looking for would put us in the $4 grand and up category. I figure this would get us in the door? Any help out there?

Well, it soundls like it's a little rough and judging from your description I wouldn't pay very much for it, especially since it is moldy. Bed ends shouldn't be saggy, or did you mean the canvas is saggy?

I'm not sure what "stripped down" means. . .cabinets and everything gone?

You don't say what the selling price is but I found this same model and year in excellent condition for sale in MI, used six times and garage kept, for $3699

Maybe I need more info..

If there's mold, there's moisture, I would keep looking.

thanks for responding.
When I say stripped down, I mean no extras. There are cabinets and they are fine. The cushions are in good shape. The canvas is a little saggy not the bed. It does not smell. LOL:rotfl: It has an ice box, stove, and small sink and beds with a table and couch. That is all they offered 1600 for it. Is that good. The nada value is between 1700-2100. I like the size but am not sure what we should look for. I have seen some rough ones and it is not that bad. Just not sure what to expect with an 95. Also how do you check the roof?

If there's mold, there's moisture, I would keep looking.

Probably, but. . .our first pop-up (it was old and ugly) had mold on the canvas, as well as a bit of dry rot, and a myriad of other undesirable attributes. But we only paid $500 for it, and we used it four years, fixed it up, and sold it for $600.

My biggest concern with this one is that they "dropped the price $900" which makes me think they're asking way too much to begin with.

thanks for responding.
When I say stripped down, I mean no extras. There are cabinets and they are fine. The cushions are in good shape. The canvas is a little saggy not the bed. It does not smell. LOL:rotfl: It has an ice box, stove, and small sink and beds with a table and couch. That is all they offered 1600 for it. Is that good. The nada value is between 1700-2100. I like the size but am not sure what we should look for. I have seen some rough ones and it is not that bad. Just not sure what to expect with an 95. Also how do you check the roof?

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the age if it's in decent shape. Are there water marks on the ceiling? Usually if it's leaking there are water sopts. It's possible the rust is just from rain coming in the windows. We always had our windows open and it rained in a lot. It doesn't sound as bad as I originally thought. Check underneath to make sure it's sound and there's no rot.

Do you have a friend who owns a pop-up who could go look at it with you?

They were and that is what I told him. It was a used camper dealer who sells them for others for a fee. He agreed about the NADA value and I think that is why they came down. I just wonder if there is something specific I should look for. For example on the roof. Like i said it did not smell and the mold was just on the curtain from what I could tell. My DH wants to install a vent in the rood but has concerns and we would probably do small cosmetic as this is just a starter. I know it is not like we are investing in a house, but I still do not want to get taken.

I'm a popup owner and although I bought mine new I've lurked on enough boards (mostly popupexplorer.com) to provide some advice. :surfweb:

First, if the canvas is moldy it can be replaced. Check out the website for Bear Creek Canvas whose prices seem reasonable.

Second, water leakage can come from not closing it up properly and then letting it sit in storage outside or a leak in the roof. The caulking along the roof seams will not last forever and will need to be replaced/redone if they are dried/cracked/gapped. You could do it yourself (it's easy to do) but get the caulk from a trailer dealer and not just any caulk from Home Depot.

Third, I'd be reluctant to EVER cut a hole in the roof (except if you're adding a roof-mounted A/C). Popup owners sometimes do have to take down when the canvas is damp, drive home, but then you have to pop it up again to let the canvas dry out. Sometimes I've had to wait 1-2 days before the weather was such that I could pop it and dry it. But don't EVER let it sit closed up with wet canvas.

Fourth, as longer as the camper is structurally sound you should be okay. Axle bearings need to be repacked in grease occasionally - it depends on how many miles you pull it. I stay close to home most times and have mine packed every other year. It's possible to do it yourself but I let my dealer do it - not expensive.

Fifth, the roof should not have any noticeable "sag". Segments of the roof should not show any gaps or seperation.

Have the dealer take you completely through a setup and takedown process (if he hasn't already). Check the documented weight of the camper against the towing capacity of your vehicle (allowing for a couple extra hundred pounds for people, bikes, propane tanks filled, and other "stuff" you'll bring). I always keep a container of DampRid in mine while it's closed up to suck up any moisture.

Good luck!

Bama ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter