used car choices-malibu/taurus/intrigue?

I have owned 2 Tauruses and currently have a Malibu. We not so affectionately call the Tauruses the "death-mobiles". Nothing but problems with both of them. They overheated all the time (Dallas summer heat), problems with the alternators, regulators, spark plugs, transmissions, etc. Not to mention the fact that the Taurus has struts and not shocks, meaning repairs are a LOT more expensive when it comes time for that.

The Malibu I LOVE. I get right around 25 mpg commuting, right at 30 highway. I bought it used with 40k on it and have had it for three years now and it is still running strong. The radiator (so far) is trouble free, with regular mainetnance only (oil changes, new brake pads and shoes once, tune-ups every 18 months or so, a new battery yesterday, and yearly tires). And I am able to fit three carseats in the back, so it is definitely big enough for a family. It has a full-size spare and a HUGE trunk. I mean I fit a double stroller and a single stroller (the big travel system ones) in that sucker with room for some groceries to spare.

Hope this helps.

Consumer Reports April issue lists best used cars and used cars to avoid. Their recommendations are year-specific, since some models made in particular years have more problems than others.

Under cars to avoid, they list Malibu(V6) ’99-04; Malibu Maxx ’04-05,
’07; Taurus 99.

I have an '05 Malibu. I guess I got in on them once they were better.

I had a 99 Malibu and loved it when I was working with a commute...gas mileage was great...but when I stopped working and was running around with errands that gas mileage was horrible. However it drove really nice and had a lot of room. We sold it cause we no longer needed it when we moved, but I would still be driving it if I had needed a car.

We have two Malibus.

My 2003 has 117K on it and it has needed two tires (rears are still original and just about to wear bars), two sets of front brakes, a battery(after 6 years) and a blower motor resistor ($23 for part, 10 minute install anyone can do themselves). Oil changes and air filters for maintenance and still has the original spark plugs and wires. It gets a consistent 25-29 mpg regardless of how hard I drive it (I drive my vehicles pretty hard) or if the AC is on. Bought it with 24k on it for $8800 and it was worth every penny. They come stock with pretty much everything you need. AC, Power accessories (windows, locks, mirrors, trunk), cruise, tilt, cd player, rear defroster, auto headlights, and intermittent wipers. It has a comfortable rear seat and a huge trunk.

The wife has a 2005 Maxx that is loaded with everything but the chrome wheels. All power, sunroof, XM, Onstar, 6 disc in dash changer, electronic AC, rear DVD, and more. Picked it up for $25k(0% interest rate) new which was a bargain compared to a camry or accord, even a taurus. It has 47k and has needed brakes all around at 40k and that is it. There were a few recalls but were handled by warranty. Just got 30mpg on a trip to canada and back with the 200 hp v6 which has plenty of power btw.

Neither car has ever broken down, not even a flat tire!

So what Consumer Reports says does not hold true with me at all. I would buy another one no questions asked.

BTW, my dad has a 2002 Malibu with 22k on it and it is also a trouble free car that he has owned from new.

We had a 2002 Intrigue and LOVED it! Nice ride, very well-appointed interior, decent gas mileage. We'd probably still be driving it today except somebody hit us in 2005 and totaled it.

Good luck with your search!

All of our "family vehicles" have been GM products, and they served us fairly well. Since my oldest was in kindegarten(16 years ago), we have purchased 3 new GM Safari vans, and our current vehicle, a 2004 Suburban. Three weeks after purchasing our last GM Safari(a 1999 model), I was involved in an accident. My manufacturer and extended warranty(up to 100,000 miles) was summarily void, and I had nothing but trouble with that van for the next 5 years. The transmission went out due to a defect that never reached recall status, and cost us two disney trips to fix. Then small electrical problems surfaced: my remote entry no longer worked on one door, one door would not lock any way but manually, lights and fuses were always needing to be replaced. I was so glad to sell that thing, even though it was at a big loss. I do like my Suburban better than the vans, more so for the size than anything else. Having said all that, my experience with Ford products has been great. My husband purchased a brand new Ford Ranger pick-up in 1996, with the intention of saving money on his 75-mile-a-day commute, and he is STILL driving that thing! The paint peeled within the first year( a problem with the clear-coat) that would have been covered under the warranty had my husband taken it back to the dealership, and the gas hand sometimes works and sometimes not, but it has over 250, 000 miles on it! It has needed a new O2 sensor to pass an emissions test two years ago, and a new timing chain/belt thingy, but otherwise just routine maintenance. It actually has the original clutch that came in the truck! My husband broke down and replaced the headliner a few months ago, and we decided that we would rather replace the small things in a Ford than big things in other brands...don't even get me started on my daughter's Mini Cooper transmission woes! When my second daughter went ditch-jumping in her Toyota Carolla(I loved that car...very dependable), we replaced it with the best we could afford...a 2001 Ford Taurus. My daughter has been hatin' on this car since we purchased it a year ago, but it has proven it's value several times. My daughter has hit my Suburban with the front-end of the Taurus while backing out...my Suburban looked worse than the Taurus! She can't stay between the lines on a road, and ended up in a ditch in March during a snow storm, taking a mailbox with her this time. We pulled the Taurus out and drove her home. It wasn't until recently we found out how much damage was done to the Taurus during that adventure...the air was not working properly this summer, and closer inspection showed the radiator was bent and the condensor was not working. My daughter had been driving this poor car one or two weekends a month when home from college from March until May, and EVERY DAY since May, and the car never left her stranded. We had $400 worth of repairs done today, and my daughter hopped right in it and drove 4 hours to the beach...she hasn't called, so I am sure the Taurus made it. I agree with you that the Taurus' behind is really big...you can get a lot of junk in that trunk...so backing up may require a little practice. The front-end is pretty long, too, now that I think about it, but she is mechanically sound. I see my daughter driving her for a good many years...or until she buys her own car.

We have two Malibus.

The wife has a 2005 Maxx that is loaded with everything but the chrome wheels. All power, sunroof, XM, Onstar, 6 disc in dash changer, electronic AC, rear DVD, and more. Picked it up for $25k(0% interest rate) new which was a bargain compared to a camry or accord, even a taurus. It has 47k and has needed brakes all around at 40k and that is it. There were a few recalls but were handled by warranty. Just got 30mpg on a trip to canada and back with the 200 hp v6 which has plenty of power btw.

I guess we all have different expectations. I'd not be pleased if one of my Toyotas needed new brakes at 40K and had a few recalls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter