• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Use of points at Disneyland... help needed!

runmommyrun

Mouseketeer
I am relatively well-versed in WDW, but when it comes to Disneyland, I know very little. We are trying to figure out our use of points for 2013. We plan on going to Aulani for 7 nights (via Phoenix first) in June 2013 (assuming we get the reservation we want) and then stop on the way home in LA/Anaheim and stay at Disneyland for 4 nights and give that a shot since we don't make it out to the West Coast often. Here is my main issue....

I really want to stay and use our points at VGC. I love the look and want to give it a shot. Plus the proximity to the parks sounds good. However, I have a son who is a MAJOR train fan. When he saw the pictures of the DLH monorail water slide he wanted to stay there.

When I looked at the points, it seems a much better use of our points to stay at VGC. For those who have used points at DLH, is it worth doing so?

For those who have stayed at both DLH and VGC, any preferences? We love the space and kitchens with the DVC villas, which is a big reason we bought DVC, and it sounds like we'd be giving that up for DLH. And I hate the idea of booking DLH just for a waterslide, unless it is one fabulous waterslide!

Also, is there pool hopping among the Disneyland hotels for DVC members? I assumed not, but that would certainly solve my issue!

It is possible we could just book a night at DLH to just try it. But we are there for such few nights I hate having to move, especially after we'll have already done moves from AZ and Aulani. Thanks for any thoughts and insights!

There is no pool hopping at Disneyland, unless your resort's pool is closed for repair/renovations/etc.

If you can get a villa reservation (or if DVC decides to actually start allowing hotel stays again on points, like they supposedly said they were going to do), unless you specifically go over to Disneyland Hotel for some reason, he won't even *see* their pool and slide. It's enclosed by the buildings. So...just don't dine at Goofy's Kitchen or anywhere else at DLH.

Yes the points are better staying at the villas, but there are just so few of them and so many hotel rooms, it's easy to get the hotel room. It might be good to know that there's no $95 fee when using points to book at Paradise Pier or Disneyland Hotel. However, once you DO book with your points, you can't cancel and use *those* points for a villa stay; they change, and can then only be used for things in the same category as PPH and DLH. (vacation points become reservation points...I think that's how they change)

DS played around on the slides a bit; I'm still not sure if he actually liked it. There are two or three places where the slides come out, and we could never quite figure out where he was going to be coming out...it's confusing.

The rooms at the DLH are newly remodeled and renovated, and they seem QUITE beautiful. Our fave hotel (having stayed in rooms at all 3 onsite hotels at Disneyland Resort) is Paradise Pier, but we might have to check out the new rooms at DLH, because they look so nice.

That said, if you want to use the kitchen at the villa, it's hard to go to a normal hotel room.

We stayed in the Frontier Tower at DLH last August. Our room had a view of the pool, some of it was under construction at the time. Our room was nice, 2 queens and a daybed. I slept on the daybed and it was comfortable. We had the headboard with the nightlight, it was cool. If your choice is a VGC studio or DLH, I would take DLH. If it's a VGC 1 bedroom, I would take a 1 bedroom for the extra room and closer proximity to the parks.

There is no pool hopping at Disneyland, unless your resort's pool is closed for repair/renovations/etc.

If you can get a villa reservation (or if DVC decides to actually start allowing hotel stays again on points, like they supposedly said they were going to do), unless you specifically go over to Disneyland Hotel for some reason, he won't even *see* their pool and slide. It's enclosed by the buildings. So...just don't dine at Goofy's Kitchen or anywhere else at DLH.

Yes the points are better staying at the villas, but there are just so few of them and so many hotel rooms, it's easy to get the hotel room. It might be good to know that there's no $95 fee when using points to book at Paradise Pier or Disneyland Hotel. However, once you DO book with your points, you can't cancel and use *those* points for a villa stay; they change, and can then only be used for things in the same category as PPH and DLH. (vacation points become reservation points...I think that's how they change)

DS played around on the slides a bit; I'm still not sure if he actually liked it. There are two or three places where the slides come out, and we could never quite figure out where he was going to be coming out...it's confusing.

The rooms at the DLH are newly remodeled and renovated, and they seem QUITE beautiful. Our fave hotel (having stayed in rooms at all 3 onsite hotels at Disneyland Resort) is Paradise Pier, but we might have to check out the new rooms at DLH, because they look so nice.

That said, if you want to use the kitchen at the villa, it's hard to go to a normal hotel room.

They updated the points charts on the member web site to show the points needed for various room views at GCH. The standard view there looks about comparable to the premium DLH view rooms.

The charts say effective 4/1 for GCH, so I guess they can be booked now.

I've used points to stay at DLH hotel (since the remodel which is VERY well done!) but only when VGC was booked. I'd have a very hard time using more points to stay at DLH even though I do like the hotel.

But - as a child my parents often let me choose where we stayed on trips and I always based it on the pool. :rotfl:

They updated the points charts on the member web site to show the points needed for various room views at GCH. The standard view there looks about comparable to the premium DLH view rooms.

The charts say effective 4/1 for GCH, so I guess they can be booked now.

So good to know!

But - as a child my parents often let me choose where we stayed on trips and I always based it on the pool. :rotfl:

Aw, that's so sweet. :) I was a simple kid, though...we only ever stayed at places like Motel6 (except for the one shining moment when we got to stay at the Disneyland Hotel in what must have been '79 or so) and a small rectangle of water is all I ever needed! Easy to please. (but, sadly, I'm still sort of the same...the rectangular simple "quiet" pool at one of the Universal resorts was better for me than the 3 fancy ones there...and I prefer PPH's simple pool over DLH's pools)

Aw, that's so sweet. :) I was a simple kid, though...we only ever stayed at places like Motel6 (except for the one shining moment when we got to stay at the Disneyland Hotel in what must have been '79 or so) and a small rectangle of water is all I ever needed! Easy to please. (but, sadly, I'm still sort of the same...the rectangular simple "quiet" pool at one of the Universal resorts was better for me than the 3 fancy ones there...and I prefer PPH's simple pool over DLH's pools)

lol - actually it usually wasn't all that complicated for us either although we were blessed to get to Hawaii a couple of times and the pools were great! Best Western fell on the normal list though and if one motel had a slide or a diving board then it was probably the winner! :rotfl:

You can get great views of the pool walking around back there. There's a bridge that you can walk over to get to the new bar...Trader Sam's! Which is so much fun if you sit inside! (there are tables not just a bar; there's food). When people order special drinks they do all these special effects in there! It's fantastic.

Back to the subject. Anyways, I'm a local to DLR and own at VGC. VGC is so gorgeous and convenient, I don't think I would spend the extra points for DLH, but I LOVE walking around DLH and can't wait to stay there one day. But I don't think I would use my points...(I have so few!)

We are going to Disneyland this year oct 2-5 a ties thru Friday. At exactly 8am on the 7th month window I was on the website to reserve a 1bedroom or studio at vgc but none were to be had they were all already booked. Instead of hoping for our wait list to come through we booked yesterday for the main hotel through the Disney collection we requested downtown Disney view. We have stayed there twice before once with a park view and the other time with downtown Disney view. We loved that we could watch the fireworks from DL on the balcony and the kids loved waving at all the people walking by.

Booking at the GC hotel became available on 4/1/12. It cost 168 pts for three days though but it beats the $1700 price tag if our wait list did not come through. We love the relaxing feeling of the grand californian hotel. That said we have not stayed at the others. It is also the closest walk to the two parks, with a private entrance for CA. If you have your hear set on staying in the villas And you don't own there for the 11 month booking window, try to see if you can do a point swap with someone who does and maybe would like the 11 month booking window you have at your home resort. They only have 48 total that can be 2 bdrms or split to be 1 bdrms and studios and 2GVs.

Thanks for all the input! Sounds like maybe our decision will be a bit easier if I can't get a villa anyway! GC just looks great... it is definitely our type of place. We will have to see what I can get at the 7 month window. Thanks again!

Even though I love the pool at DLH, yes try for the Villas at GC, and waitlist for them first.

Another consideration ... Aulani's pools are fantastic, and will win over DLH's pools anytime. Since you're going to Aulani first, then Disneyland, he'll have more than enough awesome pool time and can just focus on the parks when you get to DLR. If you were going in the opposite direction it might be a harder sell to your DS ...

BTW, my DS5 is also a car/train lover and his reaction to the monorail slides was surprisingly underwhelming. He really loved looking at them and playing in the splash area but didn't want to go on them over and over like the adults did ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter