Use ART or any other transportation?

magickingdomprincess

DIS Veteran
We'll be staying at the Springhill Suites Anaheim Maingate on Ball Road on 7/20 - 7/25 and going to DL for 5 days. We will have a car but were planning on buying ART passes and not driving to DL each day. In your opinion, is this the best way to get back and forth to the parks? I ready really mixed reviews on Trip Adviser which is kind of scaring me. We're a family of 4 with a 6 and 8 year old, not sure if Uber/Lyft is an option or what the cost of that would be? I think it's a 20-30 minutes walk from what I've read, and I'd rather save our legs for the parks.

Also, is ordering online and delivery to the hotel the best option for tickets? I'd rather have them mailed, but it says to allow 7 days and that only gives a 1 day cushion. I guess I'm just worried they might get lost. Anyone experience this? TIA!

I'd use ART and/or walk. With a 6 and 8 year old you're looking at booster seat issues in an Uber/Lyft that makes them way less convenient. We stayed next door at the Holiday Inn on Walnut a couple of times and have mostly just walked. It was almost always faster than waiting for the ART buses.

I have been using ART for the last number of years, no issues. I stay at Motel 6 and in previous years I have bought my ART ticket at Motel 6 reception. You should ring the hotel and ask if they also sell the ART tickets.

For reference, a 5 day adult ticket is $25. You can use it multiple times a day. You insert the ticket into the ticket machine and it prints the start day on it.

This is a link to your ART route, it looks like there is a bus stop at your hotel

https://rideart.org/trip-planner/?from=31&to=60
The first bus to the park is at 6.20am
The last bus is at 12.30am

We had plans to stay at the same hotel, the walk was the concern I had. Sadly, you can't walk through the parking lots like people used to do. So that left either ART or taking Uber/Lyft. Reading the same reviews had me pretty unsure about ART, at least from that hotel. I'd decided we'd just Uber/Lyft and be good with it if things were busy, but with all we're hearing I'm not sure that is the case.

Alas I got a killer deal on the Sheraton at the Park and switched, so we'll probably walk over to the Toy Story parking lot instead and catch the bus unless we just walk to the park. Looks like my wife will have to use a scooter so doesnt matter if we walk/roll to the parks.

@SteveH @geergirl @magickingdomprincess you can get real time bus updates to your phone https://rideart.org/how-to-ride/text2go/

All ART stops have a specific TEXT2GO code that can be used to get bus arrival estimates.
TEXT2GO codes and instructions on how to use them are displayed on our signs each stop.
You can also look up your stop’s TEXT2GO code on its Routes & Schedules page found in the navigation menu, or use the alphabetical list of stops below.

There are two ways you can use your stop’s TEXT2GO to retrieve bus arrival estimates:

• Send an SMS text from your mobile phone to 41411
    • Simply send a text saying “RIDEART” followed by the TEXT2GO code for your stop. For example, “3013” is the code for Peacock Suites
      (pictured in the signage below). To get an ART bus arrival estimate you would send an SMS text to the number 41411 saying “RIDEART3013”.
  • Enter your TEXT2GO code in the submission box at the bottom of this page
Enter text2go stop code:

The text2go code for Springhill Suites Anaheim Maingate on Ball Road is 4003
The text2go code for Disneyland Transportation Center is 1

I'd use ART and/or walk. With a 6 and 8 year old you're looking at booster seat issues in an Uber/Lyft that makes them way less convenient. We stayed next door at the Holiday Inn on Walnut a couple of times and have mostly just walked. It was almost always faster than waiting for the ART buses.
Thanks, yeah, was thinking the booster seats would make that a much less attractive option. It's good to know walking is at least an option, and if it weren't for the kiddos we wouldn't mind as much, but figured it'd be a bit much for them.

I have been using ART for the last number of years, no issues. I stay at Motel 6 and in previous years I have bought my ART ticket at Motel 6 reception. You should ring the hotel and ask if they also sell the ART tickets.

For reference, a 5 day adult ticket is $25. You can use it multiple times a day. You insert the ticket into the ticket machine and it prints the start day on it.

This is a link to your ART route, it looks like there is a bus stop at your hotel

https://rideart.org/trip-planner/?from=31&to=60
The first bus to the park is at 6.20am
The last bus is at 12.30am
It's great to hear that you've had good experience using it!

We had plans to stay at the same hotel, the walk was the concern I had. Sadly, you can't walk through the parking lots like people used to do. So that left either ART or taking Uber/Lyft. Reading the same reviews had me pretty unsure about ART, at least from that hotel. I'd decided we'd just Uber/Lyft and be good with it if things were busy, but with all we're hearing I'm not sure that is the case.

Alas I got a killer deal on the Sheraton at the Park and switched, so we'll probably walk over to the Toy Story parking lot instead and catch the bus unless we just walk to the park. Looks like my wife will have to use a scooter so doesnt matter if we walk/roll to the parks.
We're using a Marriott 7 night certificate so the hotel isn't really negotiable (I know you weren't really suggesting we switch, but I myself have thought about it knowing there are lots of other closer options). What bus are you meaning you'll catch? Sorry, I'm used to WDW not DL so still trying to learn!

@SteveH @geergirl @magickingdomprincess you can get real time bus updates to your phone https://rideart.org/how-to-ride/text2go/

All ART stops have a specific TEXT2GO code that can be used to get bus arrival estimates.
TEXT2GO codes and instructions on how to use them are displayed on our signs each stop.
You can also look up your stop’s TEXT2GO code on its Routes & Schedules page found in the navigation menu, or use the alphabetical list of stops below.

There are two ways you can use your stop’s TEXT2GO to retrieve bus arrival estimates:

• Send an SMS text from your mobile phone to 41411
    • Simply send a text saying “RIDEART” followed by the TEXT2GO code for your stop. For example, “3013” is the code for Peacock Suites
      (pictured in the signage below). To get an ART bus arrival estimate you would send an SMS text to the number 41411 saying “RIDEART3013”.
  • Enter your TEXT2GO code in the submission box at the bottom of this page
Enter text2go stop code:

The text2go code for Springhill Suites Anaheim Maingate on Ball Road is 4003
The text2go code for Disneyland Transportation Center is 1

Thanks so much for this detailed info! I had seen some of this on the RideArt site but wasn't really sure what it meant. I sent the text and got this reply:
11 Ball Road Line -
2158 in 14 min
2158 in 39 min,
in 164 min

I assume the 2158 is the bus number and the times are when the next bus should arrive? This is great! Will definitely call the hotel and see if they sell the tickets there, if not I'll just go ahead and buy online and have them shipped to the hotel. The price is definitely reasonable for 5 day passes (especially since the kids are so much less).

Thanks so much for this detailed info! I had seen some of this on the RideArt site but wasn't really sure what it meant. I sent the text and got this reply:
11 Ball Road Line -
2158 in 14 min
2158 in 39 min,
in 164 min

I assume the 2158 is the bus number and the times are when the next bus should arrive? This is great! Will definitely call the hotel and see if they sell the tickets there, if not I'll just go ahead and buy online and have them shipped to the hotel. The price is definitely reasonable for 5 day passes (especially since the kids are so much less).

11 = bus route number
Ball Road Line = the route name
2158 is the individual number of the bus, used by ART internal systems.

On the front of the bus you will see a digital sign with the route name
Take note of the bus stop number you get off at in Disney, as this will be the pick up stop when you are leaving Disney. There is limited seating at the bus stops, so the best thing to do when you want to leave Disney is to go to the area around Main Street Train Station and send a text and see when the next bus is. If the next bus is longer than 10 minutes, sit on one of the benches at the Main Street Plaza. It usually takes me about 5 minutes from Main Street Plaza to the bus stops.

I've had good and bad service with ART. I feel like I usually wait atleast 10 minutes for it and other times I've waited much longer ( 1/2 our more). I usually stay close enough to walk so the ART is a back up. I've used it when it's hot in the middle of the day or at night when I didn't feel comfortable walking back to my hotel.

I stayed at the Courtyard close to the Sheraton and you shouldn't have any issues walking to the Toy Story Lot.

I don't think ART is cheap. If you have a family of 4 it might actually be cheaper for you to drive and pay the $25 parking fee - I believe the parking fee allows for in and out privileges

We're using a Marriott 7 night certificate so the hotel isn't really negotiable (I know you weren't really suggesting we switch, but I myself have thought about it knowing there are lots of other closer options). What bus are you meaning you'll catch? Sorry, I'm used to WDW not DL so still trying to learn!
So over by the Sheraton is the Toy Story parking lot, you can cross Harbor Blvd and hop on the bus to Disneyland, thus saving a walk. The walk was a concern after my wife got injured and didn't heel, but her Doc finally convinced her to get a scooter and not to try to walk all day. She's in denial but means we might just walk/roll down to the parks instead.

I’ve always used ART and it’s been fine. Sometimes it runs late at night but if you prepare yourself for it then it’s not a big deal. I care more about getting to the parks early and on time and it’s never failed me there!

I've had good and bad service with ART. I feel like I usually wait atleast 10 minutes for it and other times I've waited much longer ( 1/2 our more). I usually stay close enough to walk so the ART is a back up. I've used it when it's hot in the middle of the day or at night when I didn't feel comfortable walking back to my hotel.

I stayed at the Courtyard close to the Sheraton and you shouldn't have any issues walking to the Toy Story Lot.

I don't think ART is cheap. If you have a family of 4 it might actually be cheaper for you to drive and pay the $25 parking fee - I believe the parking fee allows for in and out privileges

Thanks for the info on the walk to the Toy story lot! Off to Google map these places!
A 5 day day ART pass for the 4 of us will be $61 total, when I checked DL parking it said $25/day so for our length of stay we will be saving money by not paying to park. If we paid the fees each day individually w/other 5 day pass it would probably be about the same price.

So over by the Sheraton is the Toy Story parking lot, you can cross Harbor Blvd and hop on the bus to Disneyland, thus saving a walk. The walk was a concern after my wife got injured and didn't heel, but her Doc finally convinced her to get a scooter and not to try to walk all day. She's in denial but means we might just walk/roll down to the parks instead.

Sorry to hear about your wife's injury. Hope you have as great time and the scooter goes well! When is your trip?

I’ve always used ART and it’s been fine. Sometimes it runs late at night but if you prepare yourself for it then it’s not a big deal. I care more about getting to the parks early and on time and it’s never failed me there!
Glad to hear you've had good experience with ART.
ITA getting there early is much more of a concern than late at night. We have a 2 hour time difference so I doubt with that and our kiddos that we'll make it to park close so should probably be ok.

If both your children are able to use travel boosters, many posters here like Mifold and Bubblebum seats (Amazon.com has good prices). The seats work with Uber and Lyft and can be stored in a tote bag or locker during your time in the parks. This would give you the option of using Uber/Lyft to the DTD drop off, which is just a minute or two from the DTD and DLH bag check stations. You can estimate the cost of a trip on the Uber or Lyft websites.

Sorry to hear about your wife's injury. Hope you have as great time and the scooter goes well! When is your trip?
Thanks, she's in major denail about needing the scooter but finally got one. She can't walk around the block with out some major hip pains, and her Doc said it was a sports injury/tear that will just take time to heal. We arrive next Wednesday, then conference meeting for a few days and head back Sun-Wed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter