US dollar

marv

Mouseketeer
Hi
Ive been following the dollar rate and it apears to be going down and seems to be 1.73 to the pound. I am not clued up on all this and was wondering if any one is. We dont go to florida untill April but ime getting dollars for the children for xmas. Should i get them now or wait can any one see the dollar rate rising or do you think it will keep falling? Any advice please.

Thankyou Marv :wave:

As far as I can tell it's impossible to predict.

If you buy some now, it could go back up again.
There have been times in the past where it has been as low as $1.50 so compared to that it's a decent rate.

We tend to accumulate over a long period of time, you could buy some now and then see what happens after xmas - sorry but it's very difficult to know with this one.

Johnny's right. If we knew what currency rates were going to do then we would be getting paid Mega bucks at some top city financial instutution ;)

Even the people who are getting paid Mega Bucks are doing nothing better than guessing at the end of the day.

I think the advice Johnny gave about accumulating over a long period of time is good too. We generally change up some of our cash when the rate looks good and then we might hold off for a bit longer if we think it's low.

The current exchange rate isn't too bad really if you take an average over the last few years, it just looks bad because the rates were sooooo good last year :)

ITA Alan, its a stock brokers game! I bought some when it was 1.86 which was great but couldn't afford loads then so bought some more last week at 1.71 which is obviously not great but its certainly better than £1= $1 so as far as I can see everything is still a bargain. :sunny:

well it was 1.66 at halifax today

the worst we ever got was 1.4 so anything above is a bonus for us

To be honest unless you are buying a huge amount it doesnt tend to make too much difference anyway - possibly about £10.

We also got 1.37 once so... :confused3

Count yourselves lucky the current rate here in Ireland is €1.16 :confused3

These rates are great at the moment, but nobody really knows what they will be a few months ahead. Last time i went it was $1.38 to the pound and that made a huge difference to the cost of the resorts and also spending money.

I read somewhere although can't remember where that it can rise slightly in the winter months. This year (June) we exchanged for $1.82 but the previous time we went it was $1.37. Its just you luck. As previous post says why not get some just now and then if it drops you have won a bonus and if it rises then just don't think about it :) Think M & S was round about the $1.70 the other day which seems to have been the norm now for a couple of months.

we hire our car from america so I will watch it about January and if its quite good then pay for it then rather than wait.

Ali and boyz said:
we hire our car from america so I will watch it about January and if its quite good then pay for it then rather than wait.

Sorry to change the topic.

Ali who do you rent your car from?

We normally do before we go through Airline Network which is normally good on price, but have often wondered how it compares to buying when you arrive, so your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Boss Hogg said:
Sorry to change the topic.

Ali who do you rent your car from?

We normally do before we go through Airline Network which is normally good on price, but have often wondered how it compares to buying when you arrive, so your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Hi Matt

we rent off Discountmobiltyusa.com as we need a car that will take a wheelchair without our son getting out his chair (he is paralised). We have a Chrysler here and the one we rent is identical (7 seater). I think you can also rent direct with Alamo to. Last year with the pound being strong against the dollar it worked out a really good price.

Ali

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter