Upgrades at the Westin?

NothingClever

Earning My Ears
We are staying at the Westin in August. Has anyone had any luck getting an upgraded room with Platinum status? We booked a fairly "middle of the road" room (Deluxe 2 beds) with hopes of getting a slight upgrade, but now considering whether to upgrade my reservation ahead of time. This will be our first stay at the property and would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

I don't know specifically about the Westin, but I always choose to book the room I'll be happy in and not count on luck (or status or any other way) to get a better room. If I'm not going to be happy with "middle of the road" I book up. That way I'm not disappointed.

As long as they're not sold out, you should be able to count on a slight upgrade. I'm Ambassador Elite and got a one-category bump despite every room type above that being available for sale; it appears to be the same policy for titaniums and platinums.

Are you talking about Platinum Amex? If so, you’ll still get the $200 credit and other perks but don’t ever plan on an upgrade but definitely ask if it’s not offered.

I did 7 nights there in the fall of 2021. Booked on points then used my suite upgrade certificates, which they honored. I never count on status upgrades from Bonvoy.

As long as they're not sold out, you should be able to count on a slight upgrade. I'm Ambassador Elite and got a one-category bump despite every room type above that being available for sale; it appears to be the same policy for titaniums and platinums.

This was our experience while DH was Titanium.

We are staying at the Westin in August. Has anyone had any luck getting an upgraded room with Platinum status? We booked a fairly "middle of the road" room (Deluxe 2 beds) with hopes of getting a slight upgrade, but now considering whether to upgrade my reservation ahead of time. This will be our first stay at the property and would appreciate any insight. Thanks!
My wife and I were bumped up in early Dec 21 when I was platinum. I'd expect you will be if there's room, but that's not a given.

Will it matter much since you will spend very little time in your room other than sleeping?

We’ve stayed at the Westin a bunch and here have been our experiences:

July 3, 2022 titanium status, 5 nights booked on points. Used 5 SNA and got upgraded to 1-bedroom park view suite with balcony via SNA request which processed a few days prior to arrival. This was amazing and totally spoiled us!

Nov 5, 2022 titanium status, 4 nights, booked cheapest room. A few days before checkin the app showed upgrade to normal sized room, park view with balcony. At check in we asked if we could be upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite and were told that for “such long stays” they couldn’t upgrade to a 1-bed and what they gave us was the best they could do. The agent was also pretty rude.

Jan 28, 2023 titanium status, 7 nights, booked cheapest room. No pre arrival upgrade. Since we had been told 4 nights was too long for a good upgrade, we weren’t expecting much but asked at check in anyway if we could be upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite. Check in agent was new and went in the back to check with a manager. Got upgraded to a 1-bedroom with no view whatsoever. It had a large outdoor patio/balcony type thing that was enclosed on the sides by walls (2nd floor). But we prefer the extra room and extra half bath to the view so we were happy.

April 15, 2023 platinum status, 7 nights, booked cheapest room. No pre arrival upgrade. Asked at checkin if we could be upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite. Told there was a convention so they couldn’t give us a 1-bed but we got a larger than standard room with no view. We were given a choice of a pool view with a standing balcony and something else I can’t remember. We preferred the extra space. This check in agent was very kind and helpful.

Going back Sept 1 for 8 nights and will still be platinum, again booked in cheapest room. So we’ll see. We really like the extra half bath in the 1-bedroom but we won’t pay that rate. Even if we didn’t get any upgrade, we’re fine with the standard room. Biggest perk of the platinum and above status is access to the club lounge which we make great use of.

I also want to say we don’t demand anything we just politely ask if there are any possible upgrades available and we understand nothing is guaranteed.

Bonvoy Ambassador, late Oct 2022 (weekend preceding Halloween). Pre-arrival upgrade from double-queen park view to a gorgeous 1 bedroom suite, without using SNA. We much prefer the hotel and rooms to the JW. The breakfast is decent and convenient. Only downside: the walk was a challenge with our large, mixed-age group, so we used Uber a few times to save our feet.

I have been upgrades to a room with a view all 3 stays. I booked the standard no view (points and pay) but have recieved a view and balcony each time. The view is worth it! I would not expect a suite for what I paid but would certainly welcome it!!

Bonvoy Ambassador, late Oct 2022 (weekend preceding Halloween). Pre-arrival upgrade from double-queen park view to a gorgeous 1 bedroom suite, without using SNA. We much prefer the hotel and rooms to the JW.
I'm not arguing with your experience or opinion, but for this Ambassador I have found the JW provides a FAR superior stay overall. Start to finish, in multiple stays, the JW has treated me better and I've found the hard and soft product leaps and bounds ahead of the Westin.

Honestly, I wasn’t wowed by the styling or the room we had at the JW. The Westin felt more luxurious. I spent the whole JW stay weekend annoyed we hadn’t just stayed on-site.

(Now if we were talking WDW…we had a phenomenal experience at the Swan Reserve, which is absolutely beautiful and very upgrade-friendly. Our SNA got us an Epcot view signature suite and a Epcot view double queen, so we effectively had a 2 bd/2 ba “apartment” for the week. For us, it was far more impressive than the Anaheim Bonvoy properties.)

Are you talking about Platinum Amex? If so, you’ll still get the $200 credit and other perks but don’t ever plan on an upgrade but definitely ask if it’s not offered.
Platinum is actual status with Marriott that gives upgrades so that’s what OP is talking about not the Amex FHR Program. Upgrade idea is the same though, purchase what you want because upgrades are just gambles.

I also want to say we don’t demand anything we just politely ask if there are any possible upgrades available and we understand nothing is guaranteed.
This is the key point!! Thank you for reminding others; working in hospitality here I can assure you a bit of kindness can go a long way.

Westin is a big convention property too- at times it may seem like Disney wouldn't be busy but all it takes is one large convention/business style group and hotel will nearly sell out.

We’ve stayed at the Westin a bunch and here have been our experiences:

July 3, 2022 titanium status, 5 nights booked on points. Used 5 SNA and got upgraded to 1-bedroom park view suite with balcony via SNA request which processed a few days prior to arrival. This was amazing and totally spoiled us!

Nov 5, 2022 titanium status, 4 nights, booked cheapest room. A few days before checkin the app showed upgrade to normal sized room, park view with balcony. At check in we asked if we could be upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite and were told that for “such long stays” they couldn’t upgrade to a 1-bed and what they gave us was the best they could do. The agent was also pretty rude.

Jan 28, 2023 titanium status, 7 nights, booked cheapest room. No pre arrival upgrade. Since we had been told 4 nights was too long for a good upgrade, we weren’t expecting much but asked at check in anyway if we could be upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite. Check in agent was new and went in the back to check with a manager. Got upgraded to a 1-bedroom with no view whatsoever. It had a large outdoor patio/balcony type thing that was enclosed on the sides by walls (2nd floor). But we prefer the extra room and extra half bath to the view so we were happy.

April 15, 2023 platinum status, 7 nights, booked cheapest room. No pre arrival upgrade. Asked at checkin if we could be upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite. Told there was a convention so they couldn’t give us a 1-bed but we got a larger than standard room with no view. We were given a choice of a pool view with a standing balcony and something else I can’t remember. We preferred the extra space. This check in agent was very kind and helpful.

Going back Sept 1 for 8 nights and will still be platinum, again booked in cheapest room. So we’ll see. We really like the extra half bath in the 1-bedroom but we won’t pay that rate. Even if we didn’t get any upgrade, we’re fine with the standard room. Biggest perk of the platinum and above status is access to the club lounge which we make great use of.

This is very helpful - thanks!

Honestly, I wasn’t wowed by the styling or the room we had at the JW. The Westin felt more luxurious. I spent the whole JW stay weekend annoyed we hadn’t just stayed on-site.

(Now if we were talking WDW…we had a phenomenal experience at the Swan Reserve, which is absolutely beautiful and very upgrade-friendly. Our SNA got us an Epcot view signature suite and a Epcot view double queen, so we effectively had a 2 bd/2 ba “apartment” for the week. For us, it was far more impressive than the Anaheim Bonvoy properties.)
We are staying at the Reserve in September. The reviews seem mixed so I was a bit worried. I booked "pool view" on points and the rate is fairly high. Glad you liked it!

We are staying at the Reserve in September. The reviews seem mixed so I was a bit worried. I booked "pool view" on points and the rate is fairly high. Glad you liked it!
We have older kids and wanted a new, clean and comfortable place to stay. Unfortunately, my husband and older daughter were sick for the first few days of the trip, so we spent more time in the room than anticipated. (Rested during the day, hit the parks in late afternoon/evening with dining reservations and 4-5 LL’s stacked.)

The Reserve was clean, quiet, comfortable, and the service was very responsive. We had tons of storage space, thoughtfully planned bathrooms, and outlets everywhere for charging devices and Magic Bands. It was great having a huge table for 4 and breakfast delivered early each morning, and we really liked the Mediterranean food. The walk to the Friendship Boats was about 3-5 min - not an issue for us at all. For all other parks, we Uber’d or took Minnie Van (to MK, to bypass TTC). No issues linking to MDE. It was just…easy. And our two bedroom suite set-up was only slightly more than a single room at the Yacht Club would have been = no brainer. I hope you have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter