Upgrade from 9C to 9B GTY on the Wonder?

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
We’re on a Southern Caribbean cruise in January, me, DH, DD9, and DS6. This is our first cruise. We originally booked a 9C GTY because that’s all that was available at the time. We’ve since been assigned room 2132 which is not a connecting room (which is good) but it’s pretty far aft. This morning I noticed category 9B GTY is available for our party of 4 and the upgrade will be around $100 for all of us. This would put us more midship but having never been on s cruise before, it’s hard to know if this will be important for us or not. I’ve looked into upgrades to higher decks and verandah rooms before but those are more than we’d like to pay, especially my DH! But he did ok this upgrade if I thought it necessary. What do you all think? Right now, our room 2132 is not beneath any restaurants and we’d be taking a gamble again with a 9B GTY room. Opinions?

I believe there are only 2 rooms in category 9B that sleep 4 people (2104 and 2604). The rest sleep 3. If you book the 9B GTY, I think it's likely you'd end up in a 9A room (forward on decks 5/6/7.)

I would probably pay the $100 to get to midship. I'm sensitive to the very aft engine vibrations (mostly when they're going full speed on the first/last nights). (I could feel them slightly in 2116, not enough to bother me, but enough to notice it and know I wouldn't want to be further aft than 2120.) I really felt vibrations our first night in the MDR that is now Tiana's Place (deck 3 aft). From looking at a map, 2132 is just below the start of Tiana's Place.

I have not stayed forward or on a higher deck...so I can't tell you what it would be like if you end up in a 9A. Our stays on the Wonder and Magic have been in 2116 and 2108--at or just forward of the aft elevators. I felt nothing in 2108 on the Magic and it was very quiet.

I believe there are only 2 rooms in category 9B that sleep 4 people (2104 and 2604). The rest sleep 3. If you book the 9B GTY, I think it's likely you'd end up in a 9A room (forward on decks 5/6/7.)

I would probably pay the $100 to get to midship. I'm sensitive to the very aft engine vibrations (mostly when they're going full speed on the first/last nights). (I could feel them slightly in 2116, not enough to bother me, but enough to notice it and know I wouldn't want to be further aft than 2120.) I really felt vibrations our first night in the MDR that is now Tiana's Place (deck 3 aft). From looking at a map, 2132 is just below the start of Tiana's Place.

I have not stayed forward or on a higher deck...so I can't tell you what it would be like if you end up in a 9A. Our stays on the Wonder and Magic have been in 2116 and 2108--at or just forward of the aft elevators. I felt nothing in 2108 on the Magic and it was very quiet.
Thanks Geomom! I was hoping you'd chime in - you've had a lot of useful information for me! ☺ Thanks for the info on the 9B rooms that sleep 4 - I didn't know that! Either of those rooms would be fine with me since they're not under the restaurants but it does look like they are both connecting which is a bit of a concern. My DS6 has one volume - loud! - so when we're in a connecting room I'm always stressing about him bothering other people! Does anyone know what the triangles on certain rooms in the deck plans mean? I can't find anything about that listed.

Since we've never cruised before, I'm not sure if any of us would be sensitive to aft vibrations but I've read enough complaints about it to be concerned! I'm a fairly light sleeper (though I'm really sensitive to noises like talking, not constant noises like a fan or I'm assuming vibrations?) If the vibrations are similar to snoring then I would have a major issue sleeping through that. When DH snores we have to sleep in separate beds for me to get any sleep! My DH sleeps through everything so he is 100% unconcerned by the idea of vibrations. I'm not sure if it would bother my kids at all.

And one more question! My dream is that we will be able to upgrade to a verandah room at port for not a huge price increase (the only prices we've seen come up for a verandah room are minimum $1600 more than what we paid for our 9C room!) If we upgrade to a 9B now and get assigned a 9A, if it worked out that we were able to upgrade at port to a verandah room, would we pay the difference between a 9B room that we paid for or a 9A room that we were assigned?

It looks like the triangles just tell you which 2 rooms are connecting, as some people might not notice the door symbol between the rooms.

For me, a lot of vibrations can make me feel queasy. Some people complain about the vibrations causing sounds in the room, like the hangers in the closet banging around--so if you're a light sleeper that might bother you. (Also, if you don't get the closet doors fully shut, they'll open/close all night long, lol.)

I have no idea on the upgrades. I also have no experience in a connecting room, so I can't tell you how soundproofed it is. I think the connecting door is across from the queen bed, so the noise from the living area where your kids sleep might not carry as much. I do think it's likely you'd end up in a 9A though, but if you do end up in a 9B, it's a good location!

It looks like the triangles just tell you which 2 rooms are connecting, as some people might not notice the door symbol between the rooms.

For me, a lot of vibrations can make me feel queasy. Some people complain about the vibrations causing sounds in the room, like the hangers in the closet banging around--so if you're a light sleeper that might bother you. (Also, if you don't get the closet doors fully shut, they'll open/close all night long, lol.)

I have no idea on the upgrades. I also have no experience in a connecting room, so I can't tell you how soundproofed it is. I think the connecting door is across from the queen bed, so the noise from the living area where your kids sleep might not carry as much. I do think it's likely you'd end up in a 9A though, but if you do end up in a 9B, it's a good location!
Ok, I'm a bit prone to motion sickness, so that's really good to know! I'm fine in a car ride, but I can't read or even look at a map for more than a few minutes without feeling sick. So I'm guessing maybe I could sleep through it fine, but I would have difficulty reading in bed at night (something I have to do every night in order to fall asleep!) - so that would be an issue for me!! And I would definitely have to have closet doors fully shut because noises like that drive me bonkers at night! My DH would for sure sleep through all of that though! Hahaha!

And I think you're right about the triangles! Disney doesn't show them on their website but Disney Cruise Line Blog does, so I was confused as to what they meant, lol!

I decided to take the gamble and went ahead and booked the upgrade to the 9B GTY! It was only $98 total for all 4 of us! I’m excited to see what we end up with!

We've had connecting rooms before and have never heard anything from the other room. We've gone on 5 cruises so far and usually try to get deck 2, mid-ship. We've been on the Wonder twice and love sailing on her.

We've had connecting rooms before and have never heard anything from the other room. We've gone on 5 cruises so far and usually try to get deck 2, mid-ship. We've been on the Wonder twice and love sailing on her.
Thanks!! Hopefully my son doesn’t annoy other people!! Lol! And I’m really looking forward to sailing on the Wonder! It was my top choice of ships and it worked out well with an itinerary we were interested in! 😊

Thanks!! Hopefully my son doesn’t annoy other people!! Lol! And I’m really looking forward to sailing on the Wonder! It was my top choice of ships and it worked out well with an itinerary we were interested in! 😊

Just remind him - even if NOT in a connecting cabin - about using an inside voice (or loud whisper if he doesn’t have one) and not to be a monkey on the furniture. :)

Just remind him - even if NOT in a connecting cabin - about using an inside voice (or loud whisper if he doesn’t have one) and not to be a monkey on the furniture. :)
He gets reminded approximately 1000 times every single day! Lol! He is extremely high energy, which is great for when you need to walk 11 miles a day at WDW but not so great at 6am when you’d love to sleep a few minutes longer! 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter