• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

UPDATED - 1 room vs. 2 rooms questions

dtuleya

DIS Veteran
UPDATE - Ok, I talked to our TA today and it seems my well intentioned friend had some information a little confused. First of all, we do not have a group rate as of yet. Apparently we are on some type of a standby list with DCL for groups. The TA said that they do little "extras" for groups but she didn't want to give specifics because sometimes they don't offer them. She'll be able to make more inquiries after everyone has booked and sent in their deposits.

What everyone has clarified for me on this post is what she told me. First and second passengers in the same room are charged one fee. Third, fourth and fifth are discounted depending on ages (3-12 and 13 and over). Thanks for all your help!

We're in the process of booking our first cruise (11/27/04, 7 day eastern). A friend of ours has a friend that is a travel agent and has 10 Category 9 rooms blocked for us for with a group rate. Of course when I have questions, the travel agency isn't open today, so I thought I'd post my ??? here.

It will be me, DH, DS (15), DS (11) and possibly DS's friend (15).

These are the rates we have:

$947 for first and second adult (no trip ins.)
Child 3-5 $432
6-12 $447
13-17 $637

It would be a total of roughly $2988 for the four of us.

Even if DS's friend doesn't go we'd like to get two rooms for the added space/bathrooms since DSs and DH are all tall guys.

My thought is that we'd have to book one adult with each of our boys in the seperate rooms. No problem. My friend seems to think that we might be charged more since we'd like two rooms. I don't see how that can be possible since I'm sure there are lots of single parents that take their children on cruises. She seems to think that since our boys would be the second person in the room we'd have to pay adult rates on each of them. Has anyone had experience with this before?

:confused::Pinkbounc

Originally posted by dtuleya
Make that "first and second person," not "first and second adult."

The first two passengers in a stateroom are charged the rate for that room, regardless of age. The 3rd/4th passenger rate varies by age category.

Especially in the lower categories (higher category numbers), the price difference between four persons in one room and four persons in two rooms isn't too bad -- for twice as much space and twice as many bathrooms.

For five persons in Category 9, you would need two rooms in any case, because there are no Category 9 rooms that hold five. (Only Catgories 1 through 4 accomodiate more than four.)

Thanks for clarifying that for me. It would only make about a $200 difference for our family if DS's friend would come along, but the price jumps to about $1000 for him. Don't know if his parents would want to pay for that.

For a family of 5- it's still cheaper (so far in my experience) to get 2 rooms rather than a higher cat that fits 5 guests in one room.. even with 2 of the children being priced as adults.

However, this is the first I've heard about the 3/4th guest being charged based on age of the child? I thought it was a flat rate for children as 3/4th guest? IF it's based on age- I'd like to know.... might make a difference of when we cruise (first cruise planned already- I'm asking for future reference for future cruises). Might want to plan those around the certain age groups??

The information was given to me by my friend. Maybe it is because we have a group rate???? The prices I mentioned in the first post are based on 3/4 person occupancy.

Originally posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo
However, this is the first I've heard about the 3/4th guest being charged based on age of the child? I thought it was a flat rate for children as 3/4th guest?
If you look at the price charts in the DCL brochure (the large-format paperback "book" with over 60 pages), you'll see three price catergories for "3rd, 4th, and 5th guest" listed:
  • Under age 3
  • Ages 3-12
  • All other

You pay adult rate for the first 2 people in each cabin, regardless of their age. I've paid adult rate on my DD since our first cruise at age 4! Ditto on DCL since age 7. The kid rates kick in after the first 2 people at adult rate.

The only break you will get is that the oldest 2 people in the room will pay the adult rate, so your younger ones will pay the lowest kid rate that they qualify for.

Originally posted by kcashner
The kid rates kick in after the first 2 people at adult rate.
Just to clarify, there's a single rate (not an adult rate) for the 1st and 2nd passengers sharing a stateroom, regardless of age, based on double occupancy.

There are three age-based rates for 3rd, 4th, and 5th passengers (up to the capacity of the stateroom). The appropriate 3rd/4th/5th passenger rate kicks in after the first 2 people at the 1st/2nd passenger rate.

This is significant because the 13-and-over "all other" (adult) rate for a 3rd/4th/5th passenger is lower than the 1st/2nd passenger rate. In fact, it's significantly lower in the more expensive categories.

Originally posted by Horace Horsecollar
If you look at the price charts in the DCL brochure (the large-format paperback "book" with over 60 pages), you'll see three price catergories for "3rd, 4th, and 5th guest" listed:
  • Under age 3
  • Ages 3-12
  • All other

Yes, that is how I understood it to be- only based on age as in under 3 only paying port charges/taxes.... 3-12 as child and 13+ as adult. (oh wait- I thought it was 11+ as adult? but in any case... that's the only way I thought the ages were divided up)

My questions concerning being charged by age groups was in reference to this:
Child 3-5 $432
6-12 $447
13-17 $637

That's splitting it up and charging different based on age MORE than just 3-12 being child rate... that's charging different for 3-5yr olds vs. 6-12yr olds. So that's why I asked. :)

Sorry, I don't know what to say. These are the prices the travel agent quoted us.

I did misunderstand the 2nd person in the room being charged the full-fare regardless of age. I was assuming (and you know what happens when you do that) that they were "adult" rates. Sorry that is the newbie cruiser in me. The rates she quoted us for the 3, 4 & 5th person in the room were the ones I mentioned before.

I did look at the fold-out section in the cruise brochure and it does state the following age groups.

3,4, and 5th Guests

under age 3
ages 3-12
all other

Will have to clarify with travel agent when she is in on Monday.

I don't really know a whole lot about cruises and their port fees/taxes/etc. but MAYBE the $15 or so difference between the ages 3-5 vs. 6-12 has something to do with it costing more in some OTHER fees based on the child's age? And you were just quoted it with it all together? Or maybe it included DCL transfers and there is a difference there in ages of child or something like that?
In any case, it's a nominal amount (shown here about $15)- so not a big deal- I was just curious if they really did charge the 3/4/5th rate based on the child's age.

Originally posted by dtuleya
When I talk to the TA I'll post what her reply is.
In addition to asking your TA why she is breaking the ususal 3rd/4th/5th passenger pricing for ages 3-12 into two price groups (3-5 and 6-12), you might also want to ask her why she has a separate price group for ages 13-17, when DCL usually has the same 3rd/4th/5th passenger pricing for teens and adults.

I think u will find that , u have the corrrect info however it was not explained to u correctly as Horace and others have stated
first 2 people in the cabin will be charged at Adult rate.......

peter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter