UPDATE p. 37. I finally canceled. Too much uncertainty for us.

Could we just express our sympathy without any snarky remarks? It really sucks that someone felt they had to cancel a Disney vacation because of what's currently happening with the parks. Period. No comments needed on how YOU do/don't do things, just sympathize. It sounds like the OP has a rough year, so some sympathy here might go a long way. Sheesh, common courtesy is sorely lacking on these boards lately.

Every family is different so a one size answer does not fit all.

I keep reading on this forum about how there is so much more to do at Disney than pull FP's and ride rides. I have read on here more than a few times that soaking up the vibe of WDW should be good enough and it is almost implied if it isn't good enough there must be something wrong with those who feel that way.

Well, I don't see it that way at all... that maybe good for some people but, this attitude that if it is good for them it should also be good enough for everyone else, is a narrow minded view in my opinion.

My family loves the rides. Quite honestly that is why we go to WDW. We do not like the shows or parades and while walking about, shopping and soaking up the atmosphere can be fun, we are primarily there to ride the rides.. period. We happily have paid 6k for a WDW vacation because in the past we went at slower times of the year and rode as many rides as we could fit in, utilizing FP as much as we could.

We are just like the OP's family who rode our favorites multiple times, and we pulled many FP's because frankly, if you are going to ride things several times you need the FP's. Only being able to pull 3 FP's is a huge disadvantage to a family who is used to pulling many more than that per day. On top of that reports seem to be the stand by lines are now taking much longer.. so either way you look at it, things seem to be definitely changing for those who are used to riding a ton of rides on their WDW vacations.

I understand for many just being at WDW is the important thing and I say that's great for those people... WDW will continue to be an amazing vacation for them.. I just wish some on here would acknowledge that for some other folks WDW will be different and those differences are not necessarily positive.
Instead we get this attitude that those who voice concern or hold off on their WDW vacation are "whiny, complainers, negative".

What is a good value for some is not a good value for others because we all look for different things on our WDW vacations.

We love the headliners and can do RnR, ToT, EE, etc. 5-8 times per day. Happily. Getting to ride them only once or twice per day would be torture for us. But we see/do plenty of other things since we get there early and stay late. And although this latest trip was only for 7 days, we usually visit for 10-12 days, with 10 consecutive days being spent in the parks. Ten days of loooooong touring days allows you to see and do a great deal. I remember how happy my DD was to do Sum of All Thrills six times in a row. That is our way of touring. We tour hard. But we've never had to work hard at it. It was always easy until now.

For the poster who gave Disneyland advice, we have decided that if we go, we'll do it M-Fri and do other things on the weekend. But I have a lot of research to do first.

For the poster who pointed out I should be grateful we can go on vacation and that I have a job.......Well, my DH has a job. He wishes I had one. :rotfl: And I never said I was ungrateful. Why in the world would your mind go there? Just because I recognize that a particular vacation may no longer be a good fit for us does not make me ungrateful. It merely makes me a thinking, reasoning human being. I don't see that as whining......just facing reality and making a well thought out decision based on the facts. I'll turn down the offer to hang out in a prison, especially solitary confinement. I prefer to stay out of jail and can appreciate my life without self torture.

It's not whining or lack of gratitude. It's just my decision regarding a vacation. That's all.

I keep reading on this forum about how there is so much more to do at Disney than pull FP's and ride rides. I have read on here more than a few times that soaking up the vibe of WDW should be good enough and it is almost implied if it isn't good enough there must be something wrong with those who feel that way.

Well, I don't see it that way at all... that maybe good for some people but, this attitude that if it is good for them it should also be good enough for everyone else, is a narrow minded view in my opinion.

My family loves the rides. Quite honestly that is why we go to WDW. We do not like the shows or parades and while walking about, shopping and soaking up the atmosphere can be fun, we are primarily there to ride the rides.. period. We happily have paid 6k for a WDW vacation because in the past we went at slower times of the year and rode as many rides as we could fit in, utilizing FP as much as we could.

We are just like the OP's family who rode our favorites multiple times, and we pulled many FP's because frankly, if you are going to ride things several times you need the FP's. Only being able to pull 3 FP's is a huge disadvantage to a family who is used to pulling many more than that per day. On top of that reports seem to be the stand by lines are now taking much longer.. so either way you look at it, things seem to be definitely changing for those who are used to riding a ton of rides on their WDW vacations.

I understand for many just being at WDW is the important thing and I say that's great for those people... WDW will continue to be an amazing vacation for them.. I just wish some on here would acknowledge that for some other folks WDW will be different and those differences are not necessarily positive.
Instead we get this attitude that those who voice concern or hold off on their WDW vacation are "whiny, complainers, negative".

What is a good value for some is not a good value for others because we all look for different things on our WDW vacations.

Great post!!

Thanks for getting it. We vacation hard wherever we go. Amusement park? Ride, ride, ride. Europe? Museums, cathedrals, tours, cafes, sightseeing until we're ready to drop. The beach? Snorkelling, swimming, volleyball, etc. We can rest and relax at home. When we went to Versailles, we arrived at opening and were literally the last two people to leave that evening. We walked between 10-12 miles that day and loved every minute of it. I can and do, sit on my duff at home, but not on vacation.

We love the atmosphere at WDW, but if the headliners and thrill rides disappeared tomorrow, we'd never visit again. They are too much of the appeal for us. We are ride junkies. Big rides, small rides, thrill rides, kiddie rides. We do them all and we repeat them as often as we can.

We have dear friends who practically live at WDW, but they are largely a family of what we call "ride chickens." They will see every show, tour every little nook of Epcot, ride a few mild rides and be happy as a family of clams. More power to them! It's what makes them happy. It's night and day from us, but we're fine with that and would never tell them they were touring the "wrong way" or did not show enough appreciation for what appeals to us.

When I was in high school, my class went to Six Flags and because it was drizzly and a low attendance day, they let us ride the biggest, baddest roller coaster 18 times in a row. And I loved it! Some classmates rode it once or twice and got off, having had enough. Everyone is different.

Understand your frustration, but I probably wouldn't cancel my trip over it. The week you're going shouldn't be very crowded (I hope) and would likely allow for tons of riding, with or without FP.

Just curious, were you able to get a full refund on such short notice?

You know, I am not bitter or angry at all. I am somewhat disappointed, as this was likely the last year we would be able to pull DD out of school for a trip. We were only going to pull her out for three days, so as to get a jump on Thanksgiving, but it was our last chance. The first half of the trip would probably have had low crowds, but the second half as we approached Thanksgiving was another matter.

I'd say "relieved" best describes how I feel. No more anxiety about whether we'll blow a small fortune on a trip that goes south. I think people fall into one of four categories, so long as they even begin to understand what is going on with FP+.

1. FP+ will probably work with our touring style, so we are going to WDW and figure we'll have a good time.

2. FP+ could be bad or good for us. We're just not sure. So we'll go and take our chances, since it's better to be at WDW than at work.

3. FP+ looks like it will not be a good fit for our family, but we're going and crossing our fingers it's not a disaster.

4. FP+ looks like it will not be a good fit for our family, and we are not willing to risk our vacation time and dollars on a vacation that is stacking up to be unfulfilling, so we will cancel.

So much depends on your touring style and family preferences. I know our family and I know what we are used to (and what we expect) from WDW. This trip won't provide us with that and with the year we've had, we cannot handle a minefield of a vacation.

So I am relieved to have it over and done with. Now I can start planning the next vacation, be it Disneyland, Universal or even Hawaii or Europe. Again, we'll look at WDW once this mess is settled and see whether it is a good fit for us or not. A girl can hope.

I appreciate you all being so understanding and supportive.

I hear you. We are in a similar situation, but our tentative trip is in May, so we have time before we cancel. It is at the Dolphin, which it seems as though will not be able to book FP+ ahead of time. Our touring style has changed since our kids are in their twenties. We don't get up early and get to the parks for RD. Now, we use late EMHs because two college-aged boys will not get up early. We would ride Splash over and over during evening EMHs. Splash is no longer included in evening EMH. Probably no ability to get FP+ ahead of time. Without hyperbole, WDW just may not work for us the way it once did. It's really too bad, and we will miss it, but there are so many other places to see...we will either figure out a way that the new WDW system works for us, or travel to other places more. It's vacation...I don't want it to be difficult.

OP - I truly get this. We are also FP super-users who in the past have been able to ride the headliners multiple times each trip. That is where it is at for us. We are a big family who likes the comfort if spreading out in a house and the closest accommodations Disney can offer many, many times more money. Like 5 times more.

We are going to FL in May. Our 180 days just opened. I find myself making ADRs I wonder if we will use. My hearts not in the planning, but I'm doing some anyway. We're locked into the FL piece b/c of a DCL cruise, but may bail on WDW park days as we get closer & see what it looks like as we get closer.

I'm disappointed, too, at seeing the vacation experience I could count on be a thing of the past.

I'm sorry your vacation is off the table. I hope you find a magnificent plan B!

I totally understand your feelings and I am sorry you decided to cancel your trip.

It stinks having to stress about an upcoming vacation that usually causes an overwhelming feeling of excitement.

We just returned from our every other year family vacation to WDW in October. We used both FP systems but during our days in the park. We felt a little steessed and a little less happy then we normally are at WDW. We definetly did fewer rides on this trip then we have in the past and we spent less time meeting characters in the parks then we usually do (because my kids are getting older and characters were not a priority for them). We did fewer rides because we were not able to maximize our time in the parks like we usually do with the FP system. This trip was very different for our family. We still had a great time and enjoyed the parks and each other but it just wasn't as great as some of our past trips have been.

My mom commented that it didn't seem as magically and she contributed part of it being due to a staff that was having to deal with the new system. She was not complaining about CMs and in fact we never met or saw a CM that wasn't friendly or helpful. As always the WDW cast members were top notch and really make Disney stand out compared to other amusement parks and tourist destinations.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to say that it must have been hard to cancel your trip because we all know how great a Disney vacation can be. I am sure you will be back to Disney soon. :)

I agree with the PP that everyone vacations differently and what works for you or me won't necessarily work for everyone else.

For example, I love to see old historic buildings but I know that some people would go out of their minds if they trudged along with me. Some people I know love to shop or gamble but I'll take a pass. If riding a lot means a lot to someone then it just simply does.

Exactly :thumbsup2

I like certain aspects of FP+, but we never got more than 3 a day anyway and I don't enjoy getting up early for RD. But I can fully understand that another person might feel the exact opposite of me, because they did get more FPs in the past, and this is a huge decrease for them.

I am so you felt the need to cancel you Disney trip. I understand where you are coming from! Our family sounds a lot like ours. I was trying to convince my DH to take our family to Disney for a long weekend for all the Christmas things but I'm not anymore. Because even at Christmas, a big part of the reason we would go would be to ride rides. We stay off-site and already have a reservation for June and I have to say for the first time EVER, I'm not feeling excited to make plans.

It really bothered me to see what Disney did to those guest with trips in December and the one FP+ headliner in Epcot. Not as much because of what they did (which I don't like either) but the way they did it. No announcement or anything! One day you go to bed with the idea you can finish making your Epcot plans the way you want and wake up the next morning to find that is no long true. I know Disney is a business and can do what they want. I understand! I own my own business. But there is such a thing as giving your customers proper notice about something so important.

Again, I am so sorry you felt the need to cancel. And even though there are some that will try to convince you that it is unreasonable for you to feel this way, there are others here that understand what you are saying. I hope you next vacation choice provides that things your family is looking for!

Thanks for getting it. We vacation hard wherever we go. Amusement park? Ride, ride, ride. Europe? Museums, cathedrals, tours, cafes, sightseeing until we're ready to drop. The beach? Snorkelling, swimming, volleyball, etc. We can rest and relax at home. When we went to Versailles, we arrived at opening and were literally the last two people to leave that evening. We walked between 10-12 miles that day and loved every minute of it. I can and do, sit on my duff at home, but not on vacation.

We love the atmosphere at WDW, but if the headliners and thrill rides disappeared tomorrow, we'd never visit again. They are too much of the appeal for us. We are ride junkies. Big rides, small rides, thrill rides, kiddie rides. We do them all and we repeat them as often as we can.

Everyone is different.

:thumbsup2 Our family is much the same as yours and you've stated it perfectly. Heck, on our mid-day break from the Parks to "relax" we're still on the waterslide at BW 30-40 times...

We've also made the same decision as you for our January trip. It was difficult, but we also felt the relief once it was made. We too love Disney and hope to be back. But, only after we know what the playing field looks like, after the production roll-out is completed.

Sorry that you are having a hard time, but hopefully you will find a vacation that fits your family right now. To me, there is nothing about Disney that's relaxing if you have a certain mindset, but it's TOTALLY possible to have a relaxing, wonderful time at WDW if you choose to make it that way.

I am sorry that you felt you had to cancel your trip. That would have killed me to make that decision, but I would not have hesitated had I had the level of stress that you've had.

So far, (knock wood) things seem to be going smoothly for us regarding FP+ and the Magic Bands. We have a plan in place should we be allowed to pull paper FP and one should we not be. I'm hoping our good luck will continue.

I hope whatever's been going on in your personal life that helped contribute to your decision to cancel has resolved itself (or will resolve itself) the way you want. Only you know what's best for your family-Disney will still be there when and if you decide to give it another try once all the kinks are worked out.

YES! Great post.

To add to that... The disboards are a great place to share the love of Disney, BUT, it is also a place to go to get ideas and information to see if Disney is worth a huge investment of money and time. I am constantly evaluating whether or not the changes at Disney meet my families needs. This a great place for getting that information. The fact that we have to make our best guesses a year in advance makes this a tricky business.

I appreciate the OP and this succinct post from kristine316.

Seems a bit of an overreaction to cancel because you might not be able to "double dip". Besides, this is only going away for those buying packages through Disney. Buy room only and separate ticket and you'll be OK.

I'm stubbornly sticking with our plan to go this December even though we'll be staying offsite and that could mean literally anything. I don't blame you for cancelling though because I would likely do the same if I could count on ever getting time off in December again. It's incredibly hard at my workplace.

I also wonder what will be in place in Dec. I am going to the World soon and will be staying offsite. I am not cancelling but am a little concerned over fastpasses. It will be good to know something definite when all of the testing gets sorted out.

Sorry to hear it is not going to work out for you. We went, we loved it, no problems at all.

We rode more than we have in years and at times we wanted.

So glad to hear this !!! I am VERY excited about the MB's. I love the MDE, I already have fast passes for all the headliners, no rushing to run & get them, LOVE LOVE LOVE that !!!!!!

Can't wait, ONE WEEK away & I will report on our findings when we return. We have not been back sine 12/2010, so I am so excited !!!

I could NEVER get a fast pass for Toy Story Mania & now I don't have to make a mad dash to get one !!! Woo Hoo !!:dance3:

The changes (tiered FP at Epcot) and as of today, what appears to be an end to double dipping, mean we would be limited to 3 FP a day and that is a big step down for us.

Did I miss something? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter