Upcoming Cruise - GERD?!

Chris&Jeremy

Mouseketeer
We have an upcoming DCL cruise in May. I'll try to make this somewhat short:

I previously have not had any digestive issues with the exception of a bout of heartburn which cleared up with Prilosec about two years ago. I haven't been on it since.

About a month ago we went to dinner and I ended up eating way too much. Felt horrible all night and the indigestion continued into the next day. Decided to do a 14 day regimen of Prilosec OTC. Symptoms cleared up within a few days of starting. Stopped the med on schedule 14 days later.

Two days after going off the Prilosec, it was my birthday...went out for sushi, long story short, ate too much. (Will I ever learn?). Symptoms came back with a vengeance. Not sure if it was because of eating too much or rebound because of stopping the Prilosec 2 days prior, but it started again.

Next morning called my doc...said she wanted me to continue the Prilosec (wrote me a scrip for the prescription stuff this time) for six weeks. If it doesn't get better or stops working, wants me to see a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy.

I don't really have heartburn, but I do find a lot of burping and a feeling of always being full. Those are my only symptoms. I have been on the Prilosec since the morning after the sushi debacle...that was 10 days ago. I've always heard that symptoms should improve in 1-4 days. I have some anxiety issues also, which could mean that it's all in my head that the symptoms aren't improving and it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Which leads me to this...I am looking down the barrel of our long awaited Magic cruise in a month or so and all I can think of is that I won't be able to enjoy myself as I had on previous cruises because I won't be able to eat or drink anything and watch everything I do!

Am I rushing the Prilosec working? Should I look into another one such as Nexium? The Prilosec has always worked for me before so I'm somewhat stumped. Or I wonder if I should have the endoscopy sooner so I have time to get things figured out before we leave. Advice from those of you that have suffered as well?

Why did you jump to a 14 day regimen of Prilosec after just one night of heartburn?

I often have heartburn and just take famatodine over the counter that day. Usually don't have heartburn again for at least a week and then treat again in same way.

It kinda sounds like ' I had a headache so I took pain relief for 14 days'. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Several things. I was diagnosed years ago with GERD. You May have to either get used to eating smaller meals or just accept the discomfort. One thing you can do is do not eat close to bed time.

Prilosec works by inhibiting stomach acid production. Maybe the dosage is not high enough.

I take a prescription for GERD(Protonix) - but when I run out - I take generic Prevacid OTC (lansoprazole) and it works better for me than Omeprazole (Prilosec). If you do get some chest pain type feelings, try taking some simethacone chewable tablets and it will help the "burp" come out and decrease that feeling. It doesn't interfere with any meds and doesn't cause any type of rebound. (p.s. - I'm a pharmacist).

GERD is a lifelong condition and tends to get worse with age. I have GERD, have had it since I was 38 years old when it started suddenly. My symptoms were never heartburn, but a feeling of fullness and general discomfort after eating.

I was started on Prilosec (prescription strength) way back then. When it went OTC, I switched but it totally did not work. While the generic in the OTC is the same, the delivery system is not and it makes all the difference. The OTC Nexium and OTC Prevacid are exactly like their prescription counterrparts though so they may work for you.

Anxiety exacerbates this condition.

You may have to get used to the fact that you can't eat like a pig on your cruise. I have definitely had to moderate my eating on my WDW trips after the last one where I spent a few night in misery after enjoying some signature dining.

I also have GERD and take prescription Priliosec daily. When I eat small meals and limit night time snacks, I don't have any pain. I have been on several crises and enjoy trying lots of different things. I just don't enter into the feeding frenzy that I see others in.

I would tell doctor you want the endoscopy NOW, that way you can take the correct meds right away instead of winging it.

Lots of burping and feeling full strongly suggests a hiatal hernia.

An endoscopy is a simple procedure and I would not wait.

I have GERD and I have been taking Nexium for yrs.

I'd get the scope now vs later too. I'd also ask for bloodwork to be done. Do you have any other symptoms, being tired, not being able to sleep, brain fog, anything? GERD can be a symptom of many other conditions and not just a condition of it's own--celiac, asthma, various cancers, thyroid disease, etc., especially coupled with feeling full and gas.

Ask them to take 6-8 biopsies while they are in there too.

DH has been taking over-the-counter medication for his stomach/heartburn issues for years. He used to have a prescription but I don't even remember the name. Currently he takes Omeprazole ($17 for a 6-week supply). His doctor gave him the okay to take it daily. He did have an endoscopy several years ago, and if I were you I would definitely want to have that done before the cruise.

If your symptoms are worse when you "stuff yourself to the gills" then don't do that. :) I'm diabetic and eating smaller meals more often is the best thing for me so I tend to "graze" a lot. Maybe that's what you should do too. :) Food on a cruise is everywhere and so plentiful, there's no real reason to overeat...you will be eating again in 3 hours! ;)

I would tell doctor you want the endoscopy NOW, that way you can take the correct meds right away instead of winging it.

Lots of burping and feeling full strongly suggests a hiatal hernia.

An endoscopy is a simple procedure and I would not wait.

I have GERD and I have been taking Nexium for yrs.
Agree. A diagnosis is in order. Mine was routine acid reflux due to compromised tone in my esophageal sphincter. The "cure" is a surgery to repair it but it's somewhat elective so I haven't gone that route. Like The Mystery Machine I have been on meds (both prescription and OTC) for literally as long as I can remember and will remain so unless and until I have the surgery. I also agree with other posters that if your condition is intermittent and not chronic, try Zantac or Pepcid instead of Prilosec, Previcid or Nexium. The first two are much faster acting "rescue" drugs to ease acid reflux as it happens; the last 3 need to build up in your blood stream and be present in a certain concentration to prevent it from happening. Good luck. GERD sucks!

ETA: If your indigestion is intermittent it's very helpful to avoid the typical triggers: Too much food in your stomach at once (overeating); high fat foods, highly acidic foods, caffeine, smoking and laying down with a full stomach.

You will have to experiment with eliminating foods and beverages that cause you more issues. Spring and Fall are more stressful for digestive systems due to the Earth's location to the Sun. The suggestion of smaller meals is accurate, as well as finding some comfort foods, snacks, and beverages that allow you and your body to relax.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. It's a mystery to me and honestly I'm wondering if a lot of it is in my head as I mentioned previously. :rolleyes: As I said I know exactly that the triggers were overeating in both instances, but the mystery part to me is why it has stuck around this time.

I wake up every morning hoping that I will no longer notice the feeling, but every morning I have so far been disappointed.

I have been trying to eat more bland diet as I work through this (oatmeal for breakfast, no tomatoes or onions) and I have given up Diet Coke and spicy things over the last two weeks, which has been no easy feat...but thus far, no help.

Last edited:
OK, this might sound like witch doctor stuff, but it sounds to me like you don't have a great gut biome and you've succeeded in making it even worse. The PPI's (Previcid etc) can make it worse. It's a pretty easy internet search if you want to read up on it, "gut microbiome". One way to fix is to start eating some natural, fermented sauerkraut every day. But that's how I do it, along with a gluten free diet. Used to have bad pain, no more.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. It's a mystery to me and honestly I'm wondering if a lot of it is in my head as I mentioned previously. :rolleyes: As I said I know exactly that the triggers were overeating in both instances, but the mystery part to me is why it has stuck around this time.

I wake up every morning hoping that I will no longer notice the feeling, but every morning I have so far been disappointed.

I have been trying to eat more bland diet as I work through this (oatmeal for breakfast, no tomatoes or onions) and I have given up Diet Coke and spicy things over the last two weeks, which has been no easy feat...but thus far, no help.

I hear you, this condition can be such a mystery, and disheartening. Eating at Palo, while glorious, made me miserable on our last cruise... but it was my own fault, I had the clean plate problem! If I go to Palo again I'll make better choices. Key ingredients in fine cooking is Butter and Brooze, so don't be shy and ask how things are repaired. For me, Diet Soda and tomato based beef dishes are my worse triggers. The good news is that over time your taste buds adjust a bit and you discover new foods that you like.

Don't be afraid to keep asking the doctor for test, that's what they are for. Trust you instincts and followup. Better to know what it isnt' than to keep guessing. No point in adding that additional worry during your cruise.

Stop medicating yourself and see a gastroenterologist. The medications that work the best (prilosec, nexium ect) have been found to cause bone fractures because while stopping acid production they also prevent the body from absorbing calcium

I was diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia in my early 20's I was on mediction for almost 20 years and gradually the medication stopped working, and the side effects became known ( they were new medications when I first stated taking them. I thought long and hard and I had the surgery to fix it , OMG I am so sorry I didn't do it 5 years earlier, I can eat anything I want now without the heartburn or full feeling.

See a doctor.

Stop medicating yourself and see a gastroenterologist. The medications that work the best (prilosec, nexium ect) have been found to cause bone fractures because while stopping acid production they also prevent the body from absorbing calcium

I was diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia in my early 20's I was on mediction for almost 20 years and gradually the medication stopped working, and the side effects became known ( they were new medications when I first stated taking them. I thought long and hard and I had the surgery to fix it , OMG I am so sorry I didn't do it 5 years earlier, I can eat anything I want now without the heartburn or full feeling.

See a doctor.
Did you have the esophageal sphincter repair? If so, how long was your "down-time"? That's primarily what's kept me from moving forward.

Tell your doc the situation, that you're going on a cruise & want to freely consume various food. Whatever the doc says, go with that. :earsboy:

Did you have the esophageal sphincter repair? If so, how long was your "down-time"? That's primarily what's kept me from moving forward.

I had the nissen fundoplcation, I felt pretty good , like I could go back to work after about 2 weeks, I had a minor complication in that I apparently tried to eat food that was "rough" too soon and I had swelling and couldn't get anything but liquids down for about two weeks but I could have gone to work my job wouldn 't let me. Recovery was very easy and very little pain after about 4 days. The only thing that takes awhile is being able to eat certain foods, such as beef, and bread was the worst that took about 6 months after my complication I ate lots of yogurt, scrambled eggs mashed or baked potatos, anything that was soft and mushy and gradually added other foods. The surgery, imo, was totally worth it. The only lasting side effect is that I no longer have the ability to vomit, and from what I understand that is quite common. Whatever you do take everything you read on the intenet with a grain of salt, I delayed the surgery for 2 years because of the horror stories, then I realized that some were old from when the laproscopic procedure was in its infancy. I now only get heart burn a couple time a year instead of all day everyday.

BTW I had the surgery in 2011, if you have questions you can PM me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter