Unwanted room inspections?

Re bathrooms: None of the room check people I've personally encountered have even looked in the bathroom. Maybe once this kind of person sees my sister and me they realize we're not human traffickers? But, really, we've been going to WDW for 20+ years staying onsite. You'd think they'd know exactly who we are by now. If we're human traffickers we're spending a helluva lot of time in the parks and at restaurants.

We recently had this experience during a stay at Beach Club. They told us we can choose the timing but they have to come everyday. It’s annoying because we don’t like to keep all our valuables in safes—but I think Disney knows it’s hotels are a high value target for terrorists and wants to make sure they catch people who are plotting anything in the room. I’m willing to suffer the inconvenience for extra safety for my kids on Disney vacations.

You aren’t any safer. You feel safer, but you aren’t. You’ve essentially consented to being disrupted and violated on vacation so Disney pays less for insurance.
I disagree. You aren’t perfectly safe but you are materially safer when Disney makes its properties harder targets. Obviously a determined criminal can evade a safety check, but it’s harder to build a giant arsenal or explosive with regular checks.

As a Disney guest and $DIS shareholder, I’m also happy to help them keep insurance costs down and avoid huge verdicts to enrich plaintiffs lawyers.

I disagree. You aren’t perfectly safe but you are materially safer when Disney makes its properties harder targets. Obviously a determined criminal can evade a safety check, but it’s harder to build a giant arsenal or explosive with regular checks.

As a Disney guest and $DIS shareholder, I’m also happy to help them keep insurance costs down and avoid huge verdicts to enrich plaintiffs lawyers.
Excellent point. Heaven forbid, but if something did happen and Disney didn't have an inspection logged every party possible would be coming after them $$$. I can appreciate people wanting their freedom and privacy but having someone poke their head in, grab a trash can, and go about their job doesn't seem like we lost the battle.

I even think about the Idaho college murderer who got caught for tailgating. Seems pretty common for criminals to get caught in pretty mundane interactions.

Not that long ago people would openly boast about how they were beating or trying to beat Disney security to conceal and carry their firearm on property "in case something happened" so...the more security checks the better in my mind!

Excellent point. Heaven forbid, but if something did happen and Disney didn't have an inspection logged every party possible would be coming after them $$$. I can appreciate people wanting their freedom and privacy but having someone poke their head in, grab a trash can, and go about their job doesn't seem like we lost the battle.

I even think about the Idaho college murderer who got caught for tailgating. Seems pretty common for criminals to get caught in pretty mundane interactions.
I think they definitely do it for insurance purposes, because you no longer check in in person at WDW (not at Aulani though). I think there are commercial (8 people in a room meant for 5) and safety (the obvious) reasons they do it.

The way they conduct themselves exists on a spectrum and sometimes they can take it too far (busting in before you can even get to a door or wanting a bathroom door opened where someone is showering).

I travel to WDW solo often, I'm gray haired and a smallish woman. I always put the chain or equivalent of it on the door if I'm in the room (I do that no matter where I'm staying even if hubby or my grown son is with me). I don't usually put the room occupied sign on the door unless I know I'm going to be in the shower. I've been pretty lucky I guess. Usually when they knock on the door I look out the window if there is one or open the door a crack with the chain on or look out the peephole if there is one, just to verify there is a name tag. I've opened the door and been told they were just checking and asked if they need to come in the room, they just sort of peek around me and say no that's fine. I've never had one actually step into my room while I was there. Now what they do when I'm not there I don't know. I do put my wallet and car keys and laptop in the safe (if it fits) every time I leave the room. My wallet and keys stay in there and the laptop just goes in when I leave the room. If my laptop doesn't fit, I either put it in my dirty clothes drawer under the sweaty clothes or in a suitcase in the closet with something on top of it.

I travel to WDW solo often, I'm gray haired and a smallish woman. I always put the chain or equivalent of it on the door if I'm in the room (I do that no matter where I'm staying even if hubby or my grown son is with me). I don't usually put the room occupied sign on the door unless I know I'm going to be in the shower. I've been pretty lucky I guess. Usually when they knock on the door I look out the window if there is one or open the door a crack with the chain on or look out the peephole if there is one, just to verify there is a name tag. I've opened the door and been told they were just checking and asked if they need to come in the room, they just sort of peek around me and say no that's fine. I've never had one actually step into my room while I was there. Now what they do when I'm not there I don't know. I do put my wallet and car keys and laptop in the safe (if it fits) every time I leave the room. My wallet and keys stay in there and the laptop just goes in when I leave the room. If my laptop doesn't fit, I either put it in my dirty clothes drawer under the sweaty clothes or in a suitcase in the closet with something on top of it.
I’ve never had that happen (just a peek in). And we are literally the least threatening looking family on earth. I guess it just goes to prove how inconsistent their policy is.

I’ve never had that happen (just a peek in). And we are literally the least threatening looking family on earth. I guess it just goes to prove how inconsistent their policy is.
I think part of it is inconsistency, part of it is because I do always ask if they want to come in. I'm guessing they might think if I'm inviting them in I have nothing to hide. Or they know I'm a solo woman and don't want to risk being in a room alone with a woman (if the person doing the inspection is a man).

I think part of it is inconsistency, part of it is because I do always ask if they want to come in. I'm guessing they might think if I'm inviting them in I have nothing to hide. Or they know I'm a solo woman and don't want to risk being in a room alone with a woman (if the person doing the inspection is a man).
I’m glad they do not barge in or make you feel uncomfortable - I would guess it has more to do with inconsistencies among properties. I’m a small, polite mom - so nothing I am doing would present any concern and I’m sure the others who have shared kind of unfortunate interactions didn’t present any concerns either.

I just have to ask… Do you put dirty clothes in the chest of drawers in the hotel room?
Sometimes, sometimes I put them in my suitcase, sometimes I put them in the laundry bag provided in the room. Depends on how dirty the clothes are. If they can be worn again in an emergency, like the shirts don't stink or I didn't spill something on them, I'll put them in the drawer. If they are beyond words, I put them either in the suitcase or in a bag. I always travel with a few of trash bags so I can put one in between the dirty clothes and the clean ones (if there are any) in my suitcase. If I'm putting the dirty clothes in the drawer to possibly be worn again, I usually put a trash bag below them, because then it's just easier to scoop them into that bag when its time to go.
I’m glad they do not barge in or make you feel uncomfortable - I would guess it has more to do with inconsistencies among properties. I’m a small, polite mom - so nothing I am doing would present any concern and I’m sure the others who have shared kind of unfortunate interactions didn’t present any concerns either.
Yep, that is why I said I've been pretty lucky, I know it's not always the norm.

You aren’t any safer. You feel safer, but you aren’t. You’ve essentially consented to being disrupted and violated on vacation so Disney pays less for insurance.
Completely agree. I'm seriously amazed by the amount of people who have this odd false sense of security because of these room checks. It's a way for Disney to cover their own hide in case of an incident; not to protect you. It's intrusive and useless pure and simple.

Completely agree. I'm seriously amazed by the amount of people who have this odd false sense of security because of these room checks. It's a way for Disney to cover their own hide in case of an incident; not to protect you. It's intrusive and useless pure and simple.
And not done “everywhere else” even (especially) in Vegas. It’s just one more weird Disney thing that people put up with because Disney is their happy place. I’ve been to Disney over 20 times (stopped counting) but I still don’t buy the Disney is trying to make you safe bs. I’m not going to go elsewhere because I want to stay in Koolina… but man it’s going to rile me up if they knock on my door early in the morning. We like to sleep late on vacation.

And not done “everywhere else” even (especially) in Vegas. It’s just one more weird Disney thing that people put up with because Disney is their happy place. I’ve been to Disney over 20 times (stopped counting) but I still don’t buy the Disney is trying to make you safe bs. I’m not going to go elsewhere because I want to stay in Koolina… but man it’s going to rile me up if they knock on my door early in the morning. We like to sleep late on vacation.
If it makes you feel any better we've been to Aulani twice since 2019 (going again next month) and have never had a room check. The only place we've ever experienced this was the Poly. We sleep in as well! LOL! Have a great trip!

They aren’t going to knock early to do a room check. If you get normal housekeeping you probably won’t notice at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter