Unloading from rides

TinkerPan

Mouseketeer
I know there are accommodations made when getting disabled folks onto a ride. My concern (that I haven't seen addressed) is getting off a ride. My husband has Parkinson's and sometimes he's fine, but more frequently now he "freezes". When this happens his legs don't want to move. It is particularly difficult for him to move side-ways and backwards. What if I cannot get him off a ride quickly enough? Is this going to be a problem? I am particularly concerned for rides that have a moving walkway, like HM or PP? I am not sure a CM will notice we are having difficulty. What if we run out of walkway? Are there other rides we should be concerned with or should skip? Any tips, suggestions?

There's someone watching for this, you just never noticed it before. They can stop the line on many rides, and they definitely will if you are in distress.

I would be concerned about Kali River. Also 7D and maybe MM Runaway Railway. They are both fairly tight and unload fast. Pirates kind of steps down, which could be tough, because it's kind of a step up to get out.

You can roll onto a few rides with your chair, like Small World, if that is easier.

I would be concerned about Kali River. Also 7D and maybe MM Runaway Railway. They are both fairly tight and unload fast.

Your husband should have plenty of time at Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway as long as you alert the cast member when you enter the line (and as you get closer to the loading area). It has a separate ride vehicle pull-off area for people who need extra time loading/unloading. The area where you get off the vehicle has a lot of room to maneuver. Only when it's ready does the ride vehicle move back into the main ride area.

Post 28 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information about attractions with stairs and moving walkways. You can find thst thread near the top of this board snd there is also a link in my signature.
The attractions with stairs all have a way to bypass the stairs - other than Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and most of Tom Sawyer‘s Island. You would let the CM (Cast Member) at the entrance and each of the CMs directing guests after that know that you need to avoid stairs (DAS - Disability Access Service - is not needed to do this)

Most attractions don’t have moving walkways and do come to a complete stop for loading and unloading. They don’t move until the CM sees everyone is on and seated.
For attractions with moving walkways, guests who need it stopped or slowed generally are both loaded and unloaded at the unload area. Again, DAS is not needed for this; just tell the CMs. Some have a dedicated loading area for guests with disabilities - for example, Mickey’s Runaway Railroad mentioned by other posters. Kali River Rapids has an interesting dedicated loading area. One of the boats is actually floated into a loading area with a gate closing to trap it there to load from a stationary dock. That is a ride I would not suggest though - the doorway into the boat is narrow and there is a kind of difficult step down. Besides that, the floor and seats are wet and slippery.
I would also suggest that Peoplemover/Tomorrowland Transit Authority is one you may want to skip. There is a a steep moving speedramp to get up and down to the elevated load/unload area.

Most attractions with moving walkways have a pretty long exit area. Peter Pan is the exception; it has a pretty tight end walkway with a wall at the end. Even though some people report seeing it stopped for loading and unloading, that is rare (to the point that I’ve been told ‘almost never’).
You may not have noticed, but CMs are always walking backwards on the moving walkways, facing guests and watching for guests who might be having problems. They usually carry a button that can be used to emergency slow or stop the moving walkway if needed.

Also, check out posts 18-22 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Those posts have details about attraction loading and unloading and also attractions with wheelchair accessible ride vehicles.
Some attractions have ADA ride vehicles with wider openings. Those might be useful to give a little extra space for loading and unloading.

There's someone watching for this, you just never noticed it before. They can stop the line on many rides, and they definitely will if you are in distress.

I would be concerned about Kali River. Also 7D and maybe MM Runaway Railway. They are both fairly tight and unload fast. Pirates kind of steps down, which could be tough, because it's kind of a step up to get out.

You can roll onto a few rides with your chair, like Small World, if that is easier.
Kali has a pull off area for one raft to load and unload with extra time. been there and had to use

Post 28 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information about attractions with stairs and moving walkways. You can find thst thread near the top of this board snd there is also a link in my signature.
The attractions with stairs all have a way to bypass the stairs - other than Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and most of Tom Sawyer‘s Island. You would let the CM (Cast Member) at the entrance and each of the CMs directing guests after that know that you need to avoid stairs (DAS - Disability Access Service - is not needed to do this)

Most attractions don’t have moving walkways and do come to a complete stop for loading and unloading. They don’t move until the CM sees everyone is on and seated.
For attractions with moving walkways, guests who need it stopped or slowed generally are both loaded and unloaded at the unload area. Again, DAS is not needed for this; just tell the CMs. Some have a dedicated loading area for guests with disabilities - for example, Mickey’s Runaway Railroad mentioned by other posters. Kali River Rapids has an interesting dedicated loading area. One of the boats is actually floated into a loading area with a gate closing to trap it there to load from a stationary dock. That is a ride I would not suggest though - the doorway into the boat is narrow and there is a kind of difficult step down. Besides that, the floor and seats are wet and slippery.
I would also suggest that Peoplemover/Tomorrowland Transit Authority is one you may want to skip. There is a a steep moving speedramp to get up and down to the elevated load/unload area.

Most attractions with moving walkways have a pretty long exit area. Peter Pan is the exception; it has a pretty tight end walkway with a wall at the end. Even though some people report seeing it stopped for loading and unloading, that is rare (to the point that I’ve been told ‘almost never’).
You may not have noticed, but CMs are always walking backwards on the moving walkways, facing guests and watching for guests who might be having problems. They usually carry a button that can be used to emergency slow or stop the moving walkway if needed.
Thank you for your helpful suggestions. The people mover did give us problems several years back. My husband made it on fine, but as it took longer to load my adult daughter didn't make it on in time. She said she'd take the next one, but her young daughter started to panic. She let out a loud MOMMY. At that point the CM stopped the ride, unlocked the door, and let my daughter on. The CM didn't criticize, but I felt the eyeroll. I felt bad for the inconvenience to other passengers. Will check out the suggested post of FAQs. That should prove most helpful. My anxiety is mostly about unloading. I don't move too fast myself these days.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. The people mover did give us problems several years back. My husband made it on fine, but as it took longer to load my adult daughter didn't make it on in time. She said she'd take the next one, but her young daughter started to panic. She let out a loud MOMMY. At that point the CM stopped the ride, unlocked the door, and let my daughter on. The CM didn't criticize, but I felt the eyeroll. I felt bad for the inconvenience to other passengers. Will check out the suggested post of FAQs. That should prove most helpful. My anxiety is mostly about unloading. I don't move too fast myself these days.
do not know if this will help your family or not but for me a folding cane really helps me getting on to the moving ramps. give me something to steady on and then start walking off. have not used on Peter Pan but have used on Haunted Mansion and others

do not know if this will help your family or not but for me a folding cane really helps me getting on to the moving ramps. give me something to steady on and then start walking off. have not used on Peter Pan but have used on Haunted Mansion and others
That's a good suggestion. My husband does have a folding cane, but doesn't always use it. I think we'll make it a point to be sure he has it. Thanks.

Idk if your dh has had PT/OT, but a tip they gave my sister for when she experiences what she describes as her feet feeling heavy and stuck in place is that she should pick a physical point (like a pebble, crack, or even simply a color variation in the carpet/tile/pavement) just ahead of where she wants to step and only think that single movement... but not to think of it as a step, and not to think of walking, per se.

Apparently, different areas of motor neurons are responsible for different movements, and often there is a disconnect between what we expect to do (muscle memory) and the actual motion. The more we think and try to force it, the more stuck we end up. Her OT called it a hiccup In the motor/reflex pathways.

Anyway, maybe the technique can help your dh.

Idk if your dh has had PT/OT, but a tip they gave my sister for when she experiences what she describes as her feet feeling heavy and stuck in place is that she should pick a physical point (like a pebble, crack, or even simply a color variation in the carpet/tile/pavement) just ahead of where she wants to step and only think that single movement... but not to think of it as a step, and not to think of walking, per se.

Apparently, different areas of motor neurons are responsible for different movements, and often there is a disconnect between what we expect to do (muscle memory) and the actual motion. The more we think and try to force it, the more stuck we end up. Her OT called it a hiccup In the motor/reflex pathways.

My PT suggested something similar - focus on the spot you want to move *to* and don’t worry about how you will get there.

It’s kind of like how they tell you to ”look where you want to drive” in icy/snowy weather here in Oklahoma (where not too many people are skilled in winter weather driving). The idea is that if you start to skid, keep your eyes on where you want to drive to, not where you are currently going.

Having said all that, for unloading, we have found that sometimes using this lift device (where possible) has helped me be able to stand and take a step forward at the same time. It does not work everywhere (obviously you need some space, and the ability to orient towards the exit point of the vehicle) but it has proved helpful to me, even in non-Disney situations.

My husband did have an OT who gave us some techniques that help, but I hadn't heard of this one. We will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

My PT suggested something similar - focus on the spot you want to move *to* and don’t worry about how you will get there.

It’s kind of like how they tell you to ”look where you want to drive” in icy/snowy weather here in Oklahoma (where not too many people are skilled in winter weather driving). The idea is that if you start to skid, keep your eyes on where you want to drive to, not where you are currently going.

Having said all that, for unloading, we have found that sometimes using this lift device (where possible) has helped me be able to stand and take a step forward at the same time. It does not work everywhere (obviously you need some space, and the ability to orient towards the exit point of the vehicle) but it has proved helpful to me, even in non-Disney situations.
Thank you for your response and suggestion. My husband just was given one of these devices, but we didn't find it helpful. It just seems to add additional weight. The OT showed me how to place my feet to get the best leverage. When I hold my husband's two hands I find I can get a signal thru physical contact (and him counting to three) when he is shifting his weight for me to assist him in standing. The funny(?) thing about Parkinson is that my husband is not always in the frozen state. It comes and goes. Part of the time he moves normally, but as his medicine wears off he has more "off" episodes. Some days are better than others. I am hoping we can get a lot accomplished earlier in the day, when he still has more energy and moves better. The two rides we really want to do is Peter Pan's Flight and the People Mover. Both have the moving walkway which scares me. Honestly, it's getting off that has me scared. We can always abort getting on. I would also like to try the skyliner. Same concerns.

Do you take the folding cane on the ride?

Thank you for your response and suggestion. My husband just was given one of these devices, but we didn't find it helpful. It just seems to add additional weight. The OT showed me how to place my feet to get the best leverage. When I hold my husband's two hands I find I can get a signal thru physical contact (and him counting to three) when he is shifting his weight for me to assist him in standing. The funny(?) thing about Parkinson is that my husband is not always in the frozen state. It comes and goes. Part of the time he moves normally, but as his medicine wears off he has more "off" episodes. Some days are better than others. I am hoping we can get a lot accomplished earlier in the day, when he still has more energy and moves better. The two rides we really want to do is Peter Pan's Flight and the People Mover. Both have the moving walkway which scares me. Honestly, it's getting off that has me scared. We can always abort getting on. I would also like to try the skyliner. Same concerns.

As far as the Skyliner goes, if you board through the handicapped accessible area, they stop those cabins completely, so that can probably remain on your list. Just ask any CM when you get to the Skyliner station, and they can direct you. Be sure to let them know you need the car stopped completely for your family's safety.

Maybe work up to the rides that are the scariest for loading/unloading. Once you are there, and you have a better feel for how things are going, then you may want to try - or you may decide to pass, and that's OK too. Shoot, I have yet (in 50 years of going to Disney World) to do every single thing I wanted to do in one trip! It's do-able, but at a cost that I am not willing to pay with my health. Knowing that, I go with the expectation that there simply will be some things I won't get to do.

Go with the intent to have the most fun possible! Eat good food, enjoy the blue skies and sunshine, and take in some Class-1A people watching as well! The best souvenir I bring hone from every trip is my memories.

My husband did have an OT who gave us some techniques that help, but I hadn't heard of this one. We will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
It’s takes some getting used to. So don’t give up if it doesn’t seem to come easily. Like mamabunny said, you have to concentrate on the where, not on the how of the movement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter