• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Universal Veteran planning first HHN (& MNSSHP) trip

johde

DIS Veteran
I've been to Universal and Disney many time. But, this is my first time planning a trip around Halloween activities. I've started reserving some basics of the trip but wanted to see everyone's thoughts on my plans. I know some of this is based on past history and could be subject to change.

My trip is scheduled for Friday Sept. 15 to Sunday Sept. 24.

Friday Flight leaves at 3:00 p.m. arrives MCO 5:10. DME to AKV and MNSSHP.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday WDW, Considering the 4 park "value" pass.
Wednesday Leave AKV for Universal I'm thinking either Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls.
Wednesday, IOA and parts of USF closed during HHN. I have a 1 day comp ticket I can use for this day.
Thursday - Saturday Relax at resort during day and HHN at night. Possibly 1 day at Volcano Bay.
Sunday Return Home.

The big question is if 3 HHN enough to see HHN and USF? Depending on the price, I'm looking at getting ROF or ROF + Express ticket.

I will be there at that time also. 3 days at HHN is plenty for that time. The package prices won't come out until closer to Halloween but they usually have a frequent fear ticket that's good in September. Even though it will likely include maybe 10 nights throughout September it will be cheaper then paying for 3 separate nights at HHN. When you have daytime park tickets plus HHN tickets you can stay in the park through daytime closing. You just tell them you have HHN tickets and you can wait in special areas. They let you out about 30 minutes before the people outside the park can get in. Last year I believe there was 8 or 9 houses. We would go to one of the popular houses first which would be the ones that are based on actual movies or TV shows. Then to two or three other houses until the lines get long then watch the scare zones or ride on the rides. Gringott's has almost no line. I almost forgot about the shows. We would go to no more than one show a night. They are not worth a second viewing from my experience. By the third night you can go back to one house you really likes. Last year American Horror Story house had huge lines and was only fast if you went first thing. Certain waiting areas have certain houses they let you in first. More information will be available when they release the map.

I go to Universal every year and last year attended HHN also for the first time. I had lots of help from Mac and the regulars that attend HHN every year.

It's Rush of Fear that's good during the first 10 nights of HHN if I remember correctly from last year. It's a really good value. I have AP and got the AP discount on ROF. I did a RIP tour and Unmaskimg The Horror Tour last year and loved it. I was at Universal for 8 days but only attended 3 nights of HHN. So I wanted to make sure and see as much as I could.

The RIP Tour will get you into all the houses in one night as well as couple of of cocktail stops in private lounges during the tour. It starts out with a nice snack and Halloween desserts with sodas and water and optional cocktails at Cafe LaBamba. You meet up with your tour guide and other tour members there and off you go. The tour ended at the Bill and Ted Show. To me that show was a waste and I will not do that again if it's on this year.

I did MNSSHP last year for sisters birthday. I'am glad we went. She had a special day. It was pretty hot and the event was sold out. I liked the Sanderson sisters show. There was just so many people it was hard to get anything done.

When we went to MNSSHP they started letting everyone in at 4:30 pm. There were long lines as they were getting everyone's brackets on for the event.

Your plans look good. If you are a Universal regular your up on the resorts and which ones offer Unlimited Express.

I attended HHN at end of September last year and I was glad I did the RIP TOUR. Lines were long.

Hopefully your dates won't be to bad with ROF + EXPRESS

As was mentioned above there are stay and scream areas in the park to stay in if you have a daytime park ticket and a HHN ticket for the event that night.

The HHN thread will start up soon.

Keishashadow had one last year that was packed with all the info you would need.

Search for Official 2016 HHN-26 Thread.

Last edited:
From my experience (4 of the last 5 years), the HHN crowds in September are much, much better than in October. Having said that, Express Pass is still fantastic even in September. We plan to get Rush of Fear + Express this year. 3 nights of HHN is great, especially with an EP. 1st night: all houses using EP, all scare zones, and one show. 2nd night: all houses using EP, all scare zones, and the other show. 3rd night: since we tour the parks during the day, we are really pooped by this night, so we hit our favorite houses and scare zones one last time and leave (relatively) early. This plan has worked very well for us. Have fun!

I forgot to also mention that The Mummy is a must every night.

Thanks everyone for your help. My plan right now is 1 "day" in the parks mainly in IOA and 3 nights in the park for HHN. So I won't be able to Stay and Scream. A second option would be to skip the express passes and get day passes or the entire trip.

Given the choice, I would go with your current plan. I would much prefer to have the express passes than stay and scream.

I've been to Universal and Disney many time. But, this is my first time planning a trip around Halloween activities. I've started reserving some basics of the trip but wanted to see everyone's thoughts on my plans. I know some of this is based on past history and could be subject to change.

My trip is scheduled for Friday Sept. 15 to Sunday Sept. 24.

Friday Flight leaves at 3:00 p.m. arrives MCO 5:10. DME to AKV and MNSSHP.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday WDW, Considering the 4 park "value" pass.
Wednesday Leave AKV for Universal I'm thinking either Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls.
Wednesday, IOA and parts of USF closed during HHN. I have a 1 day comp ticket I can use for this day.
Thursday - Saturday Relax at resort during day and HHN at night. Possibly 1 day at Volcano Bay.
Sunday Return Home.

The big question is if 3 HHN enough to see HHN and USF? Depending on the price, I'm looking at getting ROF or ROF + Express ticket.

Plan has good 'bones' :duck:lol

I would never do MNSSHP the first night. Even if your flight is on time, easily you likely will not be @ MK gates until 8 pm, if not later. You can enter the gates with MNSSHP tix @ 4 pm. I'd chill that evening, maybe dinner, DTD and get an early start the next day.

Love SF! Did a 3 part split trip last HHN, with SF 1st for one night. Enjoyed their pool, then over to parks to meet friends and 'stay & scream' for HHN.

Onsite guests have a special line into HHN on far right side. I've never used, always in the park. The lines are scary long at the gate early October. I shudder to think how they build as season progresses.

We keep APHs running @ Universal. As such, we tend to plop at the pool and transition over to the parks in the afternoon. It's just too draining for us to do both full days in the parks & HHN. YMMV but I've been consciously trying to transition out of commando mode in the parks, especially @ Universal when having FOTL.

Even with a 1 day comp tix you may find a seasonal APH may afford you rates low enough @ RPH to justify it, factoring in the FOTL perk. If staying 3 nights, SMSM rates will also help the cause if an AP is off the table. Currently, rates are high at the hotels. Will be surprised if they don't dramatically drop for your dates. However, the properties fill up, especially on the weekends. Best to book @ rack now if you can swing it, then modify when the deals come out down the road.

Historically it has been a pass valid for the first 10 nights of HHN. It has been available as-is or with express pass add-on.

Given the choice, I would go with your current plan. I would much prefer to have the express passes than stay and scream.
Both are extremely helpful. S & S is great because you don't have to stand outside with the mob waiting to get in. Plus you get to do two or three houses w/o Express before the park gets crowded. I do both every year and will do it again this year.

Thanks everyone for your help. My plan right now is 1 "day" in the parks mainly in IOA and 3 nights in the park for HHN. So I won't be able to Stay and Scream. A second option would be to skip the express passes and get day passes or the entire trip.

I was there last year at opening of HHN. If you're there 3 nights and get there when they open you will not need express passes. Even if you decide on express you would only need to get it for one night not all three. I went one year in October with my free HHN from my annual pass. I bought express so I could see all the houses and still left before they closed. When the houses are announced people on this forum will be able to give good advise about which houses will be the most popular and you can either plan to go to those first or last. Once you're in line they will let you in. I realize that you also want to go on the rides since you will only be at Studios during HHN. From my experience last year RRR is busy but the other rides are pretty quiet even Gringott's. My husband and I were almost the only people in HP area one night. Don't make any final decisions now. I know it's hard but wait until the multiple night ticket packages are announced. We never really know exactly what will be offered until it's released from Universal. I and many others received email surveys about different ticket options for HHN and rate them.

Plan has good 'bones' :duck:lol

I would never do MNSSHP the first night. Even if your flight is on time, easily you likely will not be @ MK gates until 8 pm, if not later. You can enter the gates with MNSSHP tix @ 4 pm. I'd chill that evening, maybe dinner, DTD and get an early start the next day.
I've thought about that. I just looked at my leave situation and airline rates and I could switch to the morning Flight (got to love Southwest's no change fees). I'm now landing at 9:45 a.m. So, Friday can easily MNSSHP or possibly DHS. With DHS in it's current state, with FP+, I should be able to do even if I arrive at noon.

Don't make any final decisions now. I know it's hard but wait until the multiple night ticket packages are announced. We never really know exactly what will be offered until it's released from Universal. I and many others received email surveys about different ticket options for HHN and rate them.

Not making any final decisions now. Mainly looking at hotel timing and big picture. With the Disney side being DVC, the rooms "good" rooms are booking up quick. As it is, I have a split stay at AKV 1/2 at Jumbo House and 1/2 at Kadani Village. I'm waitlisted to get everything together.

Both are extremely helpful. S & S is great because you don't have to stand outside with the mob waiting to get in. Plus you get to do two or three houses w/o Express before the park gets crowded. I do both every year and will do it again this year.

Oh, I absolutely agree that both is best, and that is what we do too. The one night we weren't able to S&S, we used the onsite guest entrance and it was fine, but then again lines had already started backing up. If it was me in OP's situation, I'd opt for the EPs, since I know with certainty that I could see all the houses each night. With S&S, I know many people are able to see all houses and still get out at a decent time... it would just makes me a bit nervous. Also, as janicept said, wait for the RoF tix to be released, so you can weigh the cost/benefit of RoF vs RoF+EP.

I've thought about that. I just looked at my leave situation and airline rates and I could switch to the morning Flight (got to love Southwest's no change fees). I'm now landing at 9:45 a.m. So, Friday can easily MNSSHP or possibly DHS. With DHS in it's current state, with FP+, I should be able to do even if I arrive at noon.

Not making any final decisions now. Mainly looking at hotel timing and big picture. With the Disney side being DVC, the rooms "good" rooms are booking up quick. As it is, I have a split stay at AKV 1/2 at Jumbo House and 1/2 at Kadani Village. I'm waitlisted to get everything together.

Define 'good'. Lol Yes, the value units (esp studios) disappear so quickly, often right @ 11 month mark. Good luck with the waitlist! You may do better with securing Kidani via a WL, just based upon my past experience, it tends to be available when Jambo isn't for studios.

Plenty of time to get settled and enjoy the day with an early flight. I've had great luck thus far this year with price drops for SWA but no movement at all for my week early October - yet!

I thought dates for MNSSHP haven't been released yet? I plan on doing it on my trip as well.

I thought dates for MNSSHP haven't been released yet? I plan on doing it on my trip as well.

They aren't officially released yet, but you can get a pretty good guess at the September days based on history and what days the MK is closing at 7:00.

They aren't officially released yet, but you can get a pretty good guess at the September days based on history and what days the MK is closing at 7:00.

True, but until they're officially announced, I'm not taking chances.. Disney has changed times in the past with no rhyme or reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter