Universal Trip Report - 7/20 - 7/23 - Day 3 added

cschaaf

DIS Veteran
We decided to make a quick trip to Universal before my wife starts back to her teaching job. We made the decision 2 weeks out.

Hotel: When I looked for AP room rates, the premier resorts only had super expensive rooms - like $1400/night presidential suites. Nothing at Cabana Bay, Dockside was $134/night. Both Surfside and Aventura were $109. We chose Aventura if for no other reason than we hadn't stayed there before.

Park Plans: We also decided to do a day at Volcano Bay - we've never been there before. I haven't been to a water park in probably 35 years... and that was to Wet N Wild. I'm not a huge swimming or beach fan but VB looks like it will be fun. We also decided to get premium seating so that we were assured some kind of covered seating. It was much more than I wanted to spend ($200!!), but I would have been miserable if we ended up in uncovered seats either being blasted by the sun or us and our stuff getting soaked by the inevitable afternoon shower.

Our plan is to leave early Tuesday morning and make it to Orlando around lunch time. We'll check into the hotel(s) (more on that in a bit) and head to US/IOA for the rest of the day. We'll spend Wednesday in US/IOA - probably using Early Entry for IOA and hitting Velocicoaster and/or Hagrids as often as we can/want.

Thursday is VB day, and we'll play Friday by ear. We may spend a few hours in US/IOA before heading home... or maybe not.

Food: We've never pre-planned dinners on our Universal trips. We had longer than normal waits on our trip in October and, reading some recent reports, it seems like it hasn't improved much. We grabbed times for NBC Grill and Vivo for the park days. On the VB day, we'll just figure it out as we go since we have no idea how long we'll stay there.

No express pass?? This would be our first trip to Universal without EP. On our first trip, we bought them as add-ons. Since then, we've stayed at a premier hotel to get the EP benefit (we typically arrive late at night and stay somewhere cheap, then move over to a premier the next morning).

We looked at the add-on EPs and they are $250 each per day so that was a no go. We were okay with having to tour without EP. We figured we'd use some single rider lines if things got too long. However, I kept checking the hotel AP rates to see if something popped up at the premiers.

Yesterday afternoon, a Club Level room opened up at Royal Pacific for $465. We debated grabbing that for Tuesday night and keeping Aventura for the rest of the nights, but felt it was a little too steep. We wouldn't get any benefit out of the Club, so we decided to pass.

Later this evening, I looked again and saw a Deluxe room at Portofino for $359 - now we're talking. I called and I couldn't remove the Aventura reservation for Tuesday night without losing the AP discount for the rest of the nights (bumping the nightly price up to $189), so we decided to double book that night. That will give us EP for our two long park days, and we'll still have the lower priced room the rest of the nights when we won't need EP. Overall, happy with the result - we essentially bought 4 EPs for $90 each.

I know some hate switching resorts, but it doesn't bother us - we've done it almost every Uni trip as well as trips abroad. The bigger pain will be having to check into two different hotels when we arrive on Tuesday.

I'll try to do some 'live' updates from the parks next week.

Last edited:
We decided to make a quick trip to Universal before my wife starts back to her teaching job. We made the decision 2 weeks out.

Hotel: When I looked for AP room rates, the premier resorts only had super expensive rooms - like $1400/night presidential suites. Nothing at Cabana Bay, Dockside was $134/night. Both Surfside and Aventura were $109. We chose Aventura if for no other reason than we hadn't stayed there before.

Park Plans: We also decided to do a day at Volcano Bay - we've never been there before. I haven't been to a water park in probably 35 years... and that was to Wet N Wild. I'm not a huge swimming or beach fan but VB looks like it will be fun. We also decided to get premium seating so that we were assured some kind of covered seating. It was much more than I wanted to spend ($200!!), but I would have been miserable if we ended up in uncovered seats either being blasted by the sun or us and our stuff getting soaked by the inevitable afternoon shower.

Our plan is to leave early Tuesday morning and make it to Orlando around lunch time. We'll check into the hotel(s) (more on that in a bit) and head to US/IOA for the rest of the day. We'll spend Wednesday in US/IOA - probably using Early Entry for IOA and hitting Velocicoaster and/or Hagrids as often as we can/want.

Thursday is VB day, and we'll play Friday by ear. We may spend a few hours in US/IOA before heading home... or maybe not.

Food: We've never pre-planned dinners on our Universal trips. We had longer than normal waits on our trip in October and, reading some recent reports, it seems like it hasn't improved much. We grabbed times for NBC Grill and Vivo for the park days. On the VB day, we'll just figure it out as we go since we have no idea how long we'll stay there.

No express pass?? This would be our first trip to Universal without EP. On our first trip, we bought them as add-ons. Since then, we've stayed at a premier hotel to get the EP benefit (we typically arrive late at night and stay somewhere cheap, then move over to a premier the next morning).

We looked at the add-on EPs and they are $250 each per day so that was a no go. We were okay with having to tour without EP. We figured we'd use some single rider lines if things got too long. However, I kept checking the hotel AP rates to see if something popped up at the premiers.

Yesterday afternoon, a Club Level room opened up at Royal Pacific for $465. We debated grabbing that for Tuesday night and keeping Aventura for the rest of the nights, but felt it was a little too steep. We wouldn't get any benefit out of the Club, so we decided to pass.

Later this evening, I looked again and saw a Deluxe room at Portofino for $359 - now we're talking. I called and I couldn't remove the Aventura reservation for Tuesday night without losing the AP discount for the rest of the nights (bumping the nightly price up to $189), so we decided to double book that night. That will give us EP for our two long park days, and we'll still have the lower priced room the rest of the nights when we won't need EP. Overall, happy with the result - we essentially bought 4 EPs for $90 each.

I know some hate switching resorts, but it doesn't bother us - we've done it almost every Uni trip as well as trips abroad. The bigger pain will be having to check into two different hotels when we arrive on Tuesday.

I'll try to do some 'live' updates from the parks next week.

Look forward to reading about your trip cschaaf, sounds like it`ll be a lot of fun.

Switching between RP and SF never bothers us either.......takes no time at all to get organised. It`ll be worth it.

Will be interested to hear your opinion on Aventura compared to the other hotels you`ve stayed, not too many folks comment on that one.

Yay, would like to read how you liked Aventura. Safe travels. And yep, that one night gives you 2 days of express, can’t be beat.

Sounds like a fun time! NBC is one of our faves - other than one occasion (which we just chalked up to the server having a bad day), we've had amazing service with fantastic recommendations for beers and the nachos...drrrooooolllll.

Made it to Aventura. Checkin took about 20 minutes with only 4 people in front of me.

then headed to Portofino. About 5 people in front of us, took about 45 minutes to check in. Painfully slow.

Citiwalk for lunch. Arrived at 12:30 and downstairs restaurants were packed. We went up to Bend the Bao and no one was there. 4 or 5 tables upstairs had families.

Mummy had 75 min standby. AP was on in 10 minutes
Gringotts showed 85. EP took 22

Portofino room ready at 1:30

MIB 60 min standby EP took 9

Aventura room ready at 3:45

ET 20 min standby, EP essentially a walk on

At 4:11, I was able to get a Hagrids reservation for 6:30. We’ll be at dinner, so I tried pushing it to 7:30 - didn’t take it. Tried 8, 8:30, 7:15, 7:00, etc, etc. it finally accepted 6:43. I’ll keep trying to push it out until we can make it there.

Had 6:15 reservations for NBC. Showed up around 5:50 and we were seated immediately. The place was busy, but not packed.

I had the Oishi burger and it was good. My wife had the steak wedge salad and enjoyed it

During dinner, I was able to move the Hagrids reservation out a bit. We started walking that way after diner, but it was clear that storms were moving in. We saw that Hulk and Velocicoaster had stopped cycling cars. Then we heard the thunder.

We tried to wait it out in hogsmeade, but eventually gave up. The boats weren’t running so we took the bus back to PBH to end the night.

It was a long day we got up at 5am to make drive down.

Tomorrow, we plan to rope drop EPA and get on Hagrids & Velocicoaster early

For our EE day strategy we were at gates at 715a on July 6. I wasn't able to walk fast due to back injury but we were able to do Hagrid's walk-on and then we split up and I did Hagrid's again and DD went to Velocicoaster. We met up before 9am having done both rides twice. Good luck - already enjoying your report!

Day 2

Got to the boat launch around 7:25 and there was already a big crowd. Lots of people walking to the parks. At least 3 families in front of us bailed out of the line and walked. We save our walking for the park ;)

We got to the boat line as one boat was loading. A second loaded and left and we were behind one couple.

Sat down on the boat at 8:00.Off the boat at 8:08. When we passed the HRH/PBH walking path security it was very backed up. At the turnstiles thee was no wait.

We wanted to ride Hagrids first, so we jumped in that line around 8:20. Slow but steady walkaround the fountain and the locker area. We hit the first point where the line stopped right as you get to the Hogwarts view from the path.

Stepped on the ride at 9:20. Then took a break. Got a Hagrids virtual queue for 11:30. Well keep pushing that out to a time that works for us

JWV 9:48. Posted was 45 minute wait. Took us about 55 minutes. Totally worth it. I loved it. My wife liked it but felt that it might just be a a one-per- day thing for her. Maybe only once per trip.

JP River Adventure standby was 25 minutes. EP waited for one boat. Got very wet. Wettest we’ve ever experienced on that ride.

Kong posted 45 minutes

So far, none of the EP queues are using the facial recognition. The front gates weren’t using the finger scan, either.

Grabbed a Confisco reservation while waiting.

The Kong EP line took about 20 minutes but that’s with some extended delays. At one point in the long hallway, we didn’t move for about 8 minutes. Then, they queued up the car in front of us, then had them all step back. A lot of TMs came out of the back. Some white shirts, some civilian clothes and one with a garbage can. I can make some assumptions about what happens, but have no confirmation.

Once we boarded, we stayed in the station for a few minutes.

At Confiscoy wife had the hummus appetizer as her meal and liked it as well. I had the penne a la vodka and it was good. It’s a ton of food. I wish they would cut the prices and portions.

I avoid most restaurant burgers because they only have the half-pound versions. Can I eat that much? Sure. Should I eat that much? No. Will I eat that much? Probably. Then I’ll feel sick.

Now it was time to switch hotels. We left our luggage and car at Portofino. Took the boat back, collected our stuff, and drove to Aventura.

First impressions- it’s vey nice. The rooms are small but clean, bright, and comfortable. The in-room tech is kinda fun to play with.

We had reservations at Vivo for 6:15. We had a perfect plan to make it there about 10 minutes early and hope to get in. Then I ruined it by realizing I forgot something when we were in the lobby. I ran back up and in that 5 minutes, my wife said 2 buses had come and gone. So we waited and waited and waited. Probably 30 minutes before the next bus. And three showed up

We boarded the bus at 6:15. The text from Vivo when I booked said they give 15 minutes grace. I wasn’t sure we’d make that, so I called the reservation number. He wasn’t able to get me another reservation so he called the restaurant and explained. They said it wouldn’t be an issue if we were a bit late. We got to the host station right at 6:20, so it worked out anyway.

After dinner, I wanted to ride JWV again so we headed to the IOA gate. Remember when I said they weren’t checking finger scans? We’ll the TM working the line we went to said our biometrics were turned off and he couldn’t let us in. Eventually he said we needed to go to customer services to get bio reactivated.

I didn’t want to stand in that line so I asked if we could show ID and siding seem happy, but let us do that instead.

We’ve been chasing another Hagrids VQ. Look like that ride has been down a lot today.

JWV showed a 50 minute wait. Single rider was closed. We got in line at 7:45 and picked up our bags at 8:55.
AA6C2E5D-22FA-47BD-B0E5-DCAD4376C584.jpeg
With that, we decided to head out for the night. Wanted to stop at Voodoo Donuts to grab some for breakfast tomorrow, but the line was too long. Also wanted to stop at the customer service desk in Citywalk, but it too, had a long line.

We expected a long wait for the bus but when we got there, there were 5 busses waiting.

It was so hot the last two days. Yesterday’ ‘feels like’ temperature topped at 105; today at 103.

Tomorrow is our first trip to Volcano Bay. Interested to see how that goes. We don’t have any dinner reservations because we aren’t sure when we’ll be done at VB. If we leave there early enough I’ll try to get my wife on JWV one more time.

Day 3

First, more impressions of Aventura. Using the ipad to control the TV is fun for about 2 minutes. It's nice for choosing a channel, but the volume slider is hard to get in a good spot. It's either at 10 which is too hard to hear or 14 which the neighbors probably hear.

That said, we haven't heard any noise from neighbors or in the hallway - and we are the first room away from the elevators.

We grabbed breakfast at Urban Pantry. We both got pancakes, they were okay. Once again, too much food for too much money.

The walking path to VB is short. When the pool isn't open, and it's not open for EPA, you have a bit longer walk.

I'd love to tell you what we rode in VB, but I don't remember the names of the slides. We were often confused as we walked around. "Did we ride that one? No, I think it was blue and green not yellow and green. Or maybe it was yellow and blue?"

I know we did the aqua coaster and it was fun. We also did multiple laps in both the slow and fast rivers on multiple occasions. I liked the fast river, but I had taken off my water shoes and it tore up the bottom of my feet. Easy to stub your toe on that river, too.

The 'feels like' hit 106. We later learned that the park hit capacity.

Back at the hotel, quick showers to wash off the sand, then headed to Red Oven Pizza - one of our favorite places on property. Good pizza, never disappoints, and for $15 you can feed two people.

When we got to the bus stop at Aventura, there were a lot of angry people. They were talking about 3 buses that only went to Cabana Bay. We thought that was what happened to us last night, too. CB and Aventura share a bus loop and it picks up at CB first. If there is no one still on the bus to drop off at Aventura, it seems like they just pack full of CB folks, and don't go to Aventura.

Some people started walking to Sapphire to catch the boat, or to Cabana so they had a better chance to board.

One thing I didn't mention from any of the parks is the Coke Freestyle machines. Most were out of ice by mid day and the available choices were less and less as the day went. If you are only happy with one flavor, I wouldn't recommend the cup at this point. If you can be flexible and try different things, you'll do fine.

While eating, I got a Hagrid's reservation. My wife wasn't too keen on heading back into the park, but I wanted to ride JWV again. About half way through dinner it started to rain and there was thunder. The coasters all went down.

After eating, we went to the customer service to get our biometrics turned back on, then went to Voodoo and stood in a long line. At least we were under cover while it rained.

We cancelled out Hagrid's reservation and headed back to the hotel.

Hagrid's VQ was a bust for us. We had a reservation each day, but were never able to make it there in time.

That's pretty much it for the trip - headed out tomorrow.

Thanks for reading along.

I`m glad you enjoyed Aventura....to be honest the few folks I have spoken to about it have all enjoyed it which is good to hear.

You did a lot, and food seemed to be enjoyable in most places, beautiful picture above too. And wow it was hot for you......

Enjoyed reading your live reporting, but happy you had a lovely trip and enjoyed VB too.......Thank you :wave2:

I`m glad you enjoyed Aventura....to be honest the few folks I have spoken to about it have all enjoyed it which is good to hear.

You did a lot, and food seemed to be enjoyable in most places, beautiful picture above too. And wow it was hot for you......

Enjoyed reading your live reporting, but happy you had a lovely trip and enjoyed VB too.......Thank you :wave2:
It was the hottest we've ever been at the Orlando parks. We're slow movers to begin with and the heat slowed us down even more.

Aventura was nice. It had some small issues, but nothing critical. Same category as Cabana Bay, but felt slightly more upscale. Much more compact and short walks to everything. Cabana bay is so spread out.

Quite enjoying your report
Like how you give details on the hotels

waiting for the bus is not fun but it got you to the parks

it’s sad the rain prevented your Hagrid ride
:guilty:

Quite enjoying your report
Like how you give details on the hotels

waiting for the bus is not fun but it got you to the parks

it’s sad the rain prevented your Hagrid ride
:guilty:
The bus was all about expectations. We have no issue waiting for 3 boats when at a resort that has those - but that's because you can see how far back you are in the queue and estimate how many boats it will take before your turn.

The way the buses ran last week, there were 5 people in front of us. You'd expect to be on the next bus, but 3 buses went by before we could get on.

It seems like Cabana Bay is big enough that it should have dedicated buses and since Sapphire and Aventura share a parking lot, they could share a bus route.

We also understood that things still aren't 'normal' and maybe that isn't how it normally works.

We're definitely willing to give Aventura another try. Same category as Cabana, but we'd choose Aventura over Cabana every time if the price difference wasn't outrageous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter