Universal Studios for the overweight

yitbos96bb

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
It has been about a decade since I was at IOA and Universal Studios. With the opening of Harry Potter, we are planning on going this December.

I remember when I went to IOA last, some of the rides were a bit tight for me, specifically the thrill rides like Dueling Dragons (which is being repurposed for HP) and Hulk. I fit, but barely because of the harness. 10 years later, in my 30's and about 15 lbs heavier (and lost the football lineman build and am now just chubby), I am wondering how these rides are now. Has Universal done anything to keep up with America's expanding wasteline? Or are they the same cars as before? Of course, NO ONE wants to be embarrassed by not being able to ride, so I would avoid them if I won't fit.

I have never had a problem on the Disney coasters. Everest, R N R Coaster and Thunder Mountain all fit fine. Space mountain is a little cramped due to my height, but nothing with girth. All the rest of the rides at Disney offer no issues at all.

Anyone have any experiences they can share?

Some rides have special rows with enhanced seating, I would check in with the attendant at the start of the ride, not sure how many (I think Hulk, RRR, and DD, maybe?).

Also no need to avoid the ride entirely, many of the coasters have test seats outside the attraction, to try, to avoid waiting in line to be turned away. :thumbsup2

Some rides have special rows with enhanced seating, I would check in with the attendant at the start of the ride, not sure how many (I think Hulk, RRR, and DD, maybe?).

Also no need to avoid the ride entirely, many of the coasters have test seats outside the attraction, to try, to avoid waiting in line to be turned away. :thumbsup2
I think the seats outside of attractions are just normal seats though.

Rows 3 & 6 have special seatings on the coasters. I've heard various things for RRR, but I can't really confirm anything seatwise since they all seem the same to me.

I think it's worth a try for the seats. If you think about it, there's a pretty slim chance of seeing those people again after your trip and I highly doubt they would be focusing on you trying to get situated.

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip!

I think the seats outside of attractions are just normal seats though.

Rows 3 & 6 have special seatings on the coasters. I've heard various things for RRR, but I can't really confirm anything seatwise since they all seem the same to me.

I think it's worth a try for the seats. If you think about it, there's a pretty slim chance of seeing those people again after your trip and I highly doubt they would be focusing on you trying to get situated.

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip!

Very true point... but sometimes those kinds of embarrassments can ruin your day. It's one of the reasons I haven't been to Six Flags Great America in 6-7 years.

I rode Dueling Dragons in 2005. I'm 5'3" & weigh 225. I have a "round" body type with the bulk of my weight around my middle. They do have seats in certain rows that are made for their heavier patrons. I fit easily into one of these special seats. I just discreetly asked the young lady running the ride if I could have one. No embarrassing scenes at all. :)

As for the ride itself...I won't go back on it. It actually hurt my feet & made me light headed when I got off the ride. Must have been the G-forces. I thought it was just me, but even my 6' tall, and very fit son, experienced the same reactions. :sick:

I had no problems with the Mummy. I did try the seat out front first.

Very true point... but sometimes those kinds of embarrassments can ruin your day. It's one of the reasons I haven't been to Six Flags Great America in 6-7 years.

Same reason I do not go to Busch Gardens... But like others said there are test seats outside the 2 big coasters in IOA. They have both kinds of seats, the big and the small there to test out. The annoying thing about the big seat is there is only 1 in each row. So you kinda have to time it right to not be embarrassed or for it to make a scene.

Last time I rode I was 250 and 6" and I fit in both coasters fine w/o mod seating.

Like PP said though you do get semi battered on DD. I actually prob won't ride that again for a while even if I do fit. I do love hulk though and if you get a chance you should rid it.

Also I would avoid front row on Jurassic park...The leg room is tragic. The Mummy also has less leg room in front. If you are over 102 lbs imo you should avoid Dudley.(srsly tiny seating imo)

Popeye is a seatbelt and havent experienced problems with that recently. However I don't ride it each trip.

I would skip Jimmy Neutron as if you don't fit its rly embarrassing and everyone in same room and they keep bringing seat belts up and down while everyone is waitin for you.

On the new ride I was about 272 ish lbs and I just barely fit. Lady on other end had to click it one more time and it was tight. I actually did not enjoy ride much either. The begining when you get in it feels as if your gonna fall out cuz its straight up with the backs curved. Not a fun feeling imo. I am talkin Rockin Rollercoaster or whatev they call it. :)

Spiderman and Simpsons are both shared bars like Jimmy but they come down to where you are.(Jimmy comes down to where it wants to) so I don't think either will be a problem for you.

Jaws and Disaster are both bench so no prob.

Twister is standing. No prob.

MIB should be no prob. Its single seat with lapbar. No idea how big but I fit ok.

I think thats all the rides. Any other questions be glad to help.

O ya I have not ridden the ride in Jurassic that soars overhead cuz you need a kid with you I believe and I did not want to test fitting in that.

My buddy is a former football o-linemen (no longer the football player bod) as well and we went on everything last summer no issues.

Same reason I do not go to Busch Gardens... But like others said there are test seats outside the 2 big coasters in IOA. They have both kinds of seats, the big and the small there to test out. The annoying thing about the big seat is there is only 1 in each row. So you kinda have to time it right to not be embarrassed or for it to make a scene.

Last time I rode I was 250 and 6" and I fit in both coasters fine w/o mod seating.

Like PP said though you do get semi battered on DD. I actually prob won't ride that again for a while even if I do fit. I do love hulk though and if you get a chance you should rid it.

Also I would avoid front row on Jurassic park...The leg room is tragic. The Mummy also has less leg room in front. If you are over 102 lbs imo you should avoid Dudley.(srsly tiny seating imo)

Popeye is a seatbelt and havent experienced problems with that recently. However I don't ride it each trip.

I would skip Jimmy Neutron as if you don't fit its rly embarrassing and everyone in same room and they keep bringing seat belts up and down while everyone is waitin for you.

On the new ride I was about 272 ish lbs and I just barely fit. Lady on other end had to click it one more time and it was tight. I actually did not enjoy ride much either. The begining when you get in it feels as if your gonna fall out cuz its straight up with the backs curved. Not a fun feeling imo. I am talkin Rockin Rollercoaster or whatev they call it. :)

Spiderman and Simpsons are both shared bars like Jimmy but they come down to where you are.(Jimmy comes down to where it wants to) so I don't think either will be a problem for you.

Jaws and Disaster are both bench so no prob.

Twister is standing. No prob.

MIB should be no prob. Its single seat with lapbar. No idea how big but I fit ok.

I think thats all the rides. Any other questions be glad to help.

O ya I have not ridden the ride in Jurassic that soars overhead cuz you need a kid with you I believe and I did not want to test fitting in that.

Tell me about Busch Gardens please! My family is thinking about going there this spring and I have been worried about the rides. I am 5'5 and 290 lbs.

Did you go there and have problems with certain rides? The reason I ask is because Batman at Great America and Dragons are the exact same type of ride, so if you could not fit on Batman then you will need the larger seat for Dragons.

Did you go there and have problems with certain rides? The reason I ask is because Batman at Great America and Dragons are the exact same type of ride, so if you could not fit on Batman then you will need the larger seat for Dragons.
Batman, Hulk and Dueling Dragons were designed by B & M and they do a pretty good job trying to accomodate larger passengers. Rows 3 & 6 on Hulk and Dueling Dragons (can't speak for Batman) have "big boy" seats that have two belt buckles. There is one seat on each of those rows and are outside the attraction entrance for testing. Revenge of the Mummy also has test seats outside. Larger people might have to ride in the back row because of the increased leg room but riding in the back row of RoTM is NOT a bad thing. ;)

Tell me about Busch Gardens please! My family is thinking about going there this spring and I have been worried about the rides. I am 5'5 and 290 lbs.

Tbh I am not too sure how big I was when I went last. During my teenage yrs I never weighed myself. But a friend of mine recently went and hes about 6 ft ish perhaps a tad under and weighs 285 ish and said he just fit, Only one he had a problem with was the Sheikra and that the attendant had to push the bar down.

If I can get back down to 240 I may go, but until then I think I will avoid that place and stick to my vacation days of grinding out MiB!

Wish I could be of more help to you. Only thing I remember about the place is having to have the attendants push bars down and it being an embarrassing situation so I avoided it for years.

I believe when I went last(Pre Sheikra)they had 3-4 coasters, the simulator ride, and one or two water rides. Since then they have expanded though and I believe this Spring they will be opening up more stuff with Sesame Street.

It was a lovely park back when Bud owned it, Not sure what has changed but I think Cleidsdales are gone. :mad:
I would say if my family wanted to go enjoy it I would probably be satisfied skipping the coasters and just enjoying the day off work and the park atmosphere.

Perhaps others can be more of help if they have mod seating on their coasters or not and where they would be. I do believe I remember hearing they put some on but I am not 100% sure on that.

Sorry to bump an old thread but this thread comes up in Google search when looking for information on rides for bigger folks.

Visited Universal Studios last week (October 2018) and was concerned about fitting on some of the rides. I’m 5’11’’, about 285, I have broad shoulders and my weight is in my belly. I wear a size 40 pant, and my waistline is below my ‘gut’. I don’t have fairly large calves (which may be an issue for some on Potter Gringotts)

That said, here’s some information that I noticed.

All of the 3D/4D “jiggly” rides as I call them [Simpsons, Transformers, Jimmy Fallon, Fast and Furious, etc] are no problem for bigger folks. On these rides you basically get in a box or a train and just jiggle around while looking at video screens.

Onto the real rides:
I was concerned about The Mummy, after reading on here, I chose the last row in the car on the end (aisle). As I sat down I pulled the lap bar down and continued pushing as I sat. No problem! No warnings from the attendant that I needed more clicks or anything. Rode this ride several times over 2 visits to the park. Did not have an issue, I just asked for the last row each time.

Next, I was concerned about Harry Potter and Escape from Gringotts. It was much too busy to try the test seat, so I just went for it. I was assigned the left train, row 3 by the attendant. Each train has 2 cars of 3 rows. Just like I read on forums, the last rows may have more room for the bigger folk. Once again, I sat on the end (aisle). As I sat, I pulled the bar down and continued pushing til I was fully seated. Once again, no warnings from attendant or any issues that I needed more clicks. Off we went, weeeee! We rode it again immediately after that, and was assigned left train row 6. Once again, no problems. On our 2nd day, we were assigned the right train, and I asked for row 3 or 6. Was given row 6. I did the same number of clicks in my mind but when the attendant did their check he gave me one more click and asked if that was ok, I said yes, of course. It was a bit tighter than the left train in my opinion, but not painful. So if you are leery about this ride, perhaps ask for the left train, rows 3 or 6. Also, on the right train, I noticed some of the audio was off a second or two. Audio didn’t match the lips of the actors on screen.

Moving on, it was a def no go on Rip Ride Rocket. The test seats of course were being used by people for photo ops and I didn’t want to wait around and have everyone stare. My confidence level was up because of the 100% success on Mummy and Potter Gringotts, so I just went for it. We were assigned row 1. It was a no go, as soon as I sat down and swung the arm over, I could tell it wasn’t gonna happen. I got it to click several clicks tho. Not sure what the ‘safe’ point is. They had me exit and try row 3 on another train. Also no go. Staff was very friendly about it and it wasn’t a huge deal. They ended up giving me 2 express pass tickets for other rides, which was nice of them!!

Moving on to Islands of Adventure. After the fail on Rip Ride, we headed on the Hogwarts Express to try out Forbidden Journey. Test seats had a worker standing by them, so I asked if I could try. She was nice and again, once I sat in the seat, I could tell it was gonna be a no go. Talk about TINY! I did not see an “amber” light on these test seats. There were 2 lights, a light green and a dark green. She said the dark green wasn’t lighting up for me so it would probably be a no go. I didn’t try the actual ride seat. Just waited at the exit. My friend went on and he’s a skinnier dude and he even said the seat and restraint was tiny. He also commented that the restraint seemed over the top for what the actual ride is. He’s no expert by any means, but he said they could definitely make it less restrictive, if they wanted to.

Moving on, we went to Hulk, but I didn’t have high hopes. Test seat of course was taken by someone just sitting in it. Waited a bit, and I tried the big boy test seat, I got it down pretty far in my opinion but the buckles would barely click in. I didn’t try the real seat as I figured it would be a no go.

Overall, Mummy and Gringotts was no problem. So this gives me motivation to slim a bit and go back to try Forbidden Journey, Rip Ride, and the Hulk! Hope this updated info helps anyone else in their quest for answers before visiting this park.

Thank you for the info, because it will definitely help others with the same question. Sorry you weren't able to go on a few rides, but it sounds like you still had a great time!

I was 6’1” / 250lbs on previous round of visits to parks in early 2018. There isn’t a ride I couldn’t fit.

At Universal, tightest fits are Woody Woodpecker and Hippogriff, but I fit. Same coaster types as Goofy at WDW and other similar kid coasters.

Interestingly, I am down 25lbs and on our last trip, it didn’t really improve anything fit-wise. I think you need to be under 6’ and maybe 180lbs to fit “comfortably.”

I have noticed at Six Flags/Cedar Point type Parks, swings are always the tightest and I try to avoid them if possible.

/theme park junkie family

wow, a post from before I'd ever been there!

Happened to my now-ex at Disney, of all places. The fellow guests at Mulholland Madness (now Goofy's sky school with the same seating) were just evil that day. He was waiting for a diagnosis of what turned out to be a pituitary tumor during that trip, too, which made it even worse.

I was concerned about The Mummy, after reading on here, I chose the last row in the car on the end (aisle). As I sat down I pulled the lap bar down and continued pushing as I sat. No problem!

You mentioned calves...that makes a major difference for Mummy and especially Gringotts. If he continues to go to Universal, now-ex might never get on those rides, even once he loses the weight (maybe once the aforementioned pituitary tumor is totally gone), because of his legs and calves. Both rides require legs to go in between that upside down U shaped restraint, and that hasn't been possible for him. Was the same problem at California Adventure that awful awful day.

Just thought I'd add my stats.
5'4" 240 lbs woman, 2x tops/dresses, size 20 pants. Averagish chest and thighs for my weight...large belly (but it is squishy)
Fit FJ and Gringotts comfortably
I recently lost 27 lbs. I think I would have fit then with some belly squish on FJ

Hippogriff was also no problem except it scared the heck out of my 6 year old son (40 lb) who had to sit with me. He likes rollercoasters, but with that lap bar, he thought he would fall out. :(

ETA: The Mummy, Jurassic Park, and Blutos Barges were fine. The Barges could accommodate someone a lot bigger if there is a seatbelts extender available (I did worry about that, hut I made it)
No Hulk or RRR for me and the family wouldn't do Ripsaw Falls either

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter