Universal CityWalk - any suggestions?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Thinking of going there, on my trip to SoCal between Christmas and New Years Day. My big issue there for dining is that everything seems to be overpriced to some degree - even the chain restaurants. I'm looking at the online ordering at the Taco Bell there, and the $6.99 combos that I can get at home are $13.99 and $10.99. I was thinking maybe Panda Express since the price premium there isn't so much.

But I am looking at maybe watching a game at NBC Sports Grill & Brew. Not sure how much it's going to cost though to have a beer to nurse for a game. It does seem promising because their menu does say they have Bell's Two Hearted Ale, which is a beer I've been meaning to try. Not sure how much it's going to be though.

Any other possibilities there?

Thinking of going there, on my trip to SoCal between Christmas and New Years Day. My big issue there for dining is that everything seems to be overpriced to some degree - even the chain restaurants. I'm looking at the online ordering at the Taco Bell there, and the $6.99 combos that I can get at home are $13.99 and $10.99. I was thinking maybe Panda Express since the price premium there isn't so much.

But I am looking at maybe watching a game at NBC Sports Grill & Brew. Not sure how much it's going to cost though to have a beer to nurse for a game. It does seem promising because their menu does say they have Bell's Two Hearted Ale, which is a beer I've been meaning to try. Not sure how much it's going to be though.

Any other possibilities there?

I honestly would recommend just not going to CityWalk. I mean, it's fine, but unless you're going to be at the park that day or you're staying at the Hilton across the street, there are LOADS more places for shopping/dining/watching sports in the Los Angeles area that are better choices. (Unless you're going there for something specific, like shopping for Universal merch or Voodoo doughnuts or something.)

If you're just looking for a place to shop, hang out, eat/drink, then I'd go to The Americana at Brand or The Grove, before I'd go to CityWalk. JMO.

I was thinking maybe just something at LA Live.

I find citywalk a bit much honestly. Especially at night on weekends.

I find citywalk a bit much honestly. Especially at night on weekends.

I'm thinking of being on Disneyland property on NYE. Been to Disneyland on NYE before. I know it was crazy, but sometimes being around other people makes things more interesting.

But I haven't been to CityWalk since 2012 when we had to walk in/out when visiting USH.

I've only been to LA Live once, for a hockey game and dinner, but there are good choices down there as well!

I'm starting to enjoy Yard House. Haven't been to that location at LA Live, but I think that they tend to be rather consistent.

I'd not go to CityWalk for that purpose either. Yard House is far better than NBC Sports Grill. Nothing in LA is going to be "cheap" and expect to spend a good amount of money if you go to a place just to watch a game. You'll be expected to keep ordering food or drinks in order to sit there for several hours.

If you like beer, I'd recommend a brewery. Most show major games on big TVs. Anaheim area has plenty of breweries. Or, like you said LA live is a good option.

I'd not go to CityWalk for that purpose either. Yard House is far better than NBC Sports Grill. Nothing in LA is going to be "cheap" and expect to spend a good amount of money if you go to a place just to watch a game. You'll be expected to keep ordering food or drinks in order to sit there for several hours.

If you like beer, I'd recommend a brewery. Most show major games on big TVs. Anaheim area has plenty of breweries. Or, like you said LA live is a good option.

Probably going for happy hour at Yard House several times during my trip, especially since several Clippers games are right about that time. I checked their prices and they're the same as other locations I've been to. Their sliders at half off are a spectacular deal. I figure I sit at the bar, don't be demanding, leave an obvious cash tip well in advance, and I'm good to stay. I've yet to be told to leave if I didn't buy anything else, but then I'm not sure how crowded it will be. Worst case scenario might be I end up ordering another beer, or maybe just a soft drink and keep on asking for refills.

I'm not a Clippers fan per se, but I figure it would be a good experience (when I was in Sac I ended up going to the Yard House location near the Golden 1 Center where I watched a Sacramento Kings road game). Also I looked to see if there were any games when I'm there and both the Lakers and Clippers are on road trips, although I'm not sure I'd want to pay those prices. Hockey seems to be much cheaper on the (verified) secondary market. I've already got a ticket for a Ducks game, and I'm thinking of taking in a Kings game.

I went to Yard House before going to a Kings game and it was crowded and lively. It was a bit smaller than other Yard House locations I’ve been to, but the food was consistent like I’d expect. I asked the bartender what it was like around games, she said it would get more crowded closer to game time and would really be busy if there was a basketball game. There were simultaneous Clippers/Lakers games on the TVs. Obviously a Lakers town since the Clippers game was only on a single TV.

I’m at CityWalk now and checked NBC Sports Grill & Brew. It was OK and they did have the beer on tap I’ve been looking for, but it was way overpriced at $11.75 for a pint. But I’d rather spend a few hours watching a game at Yard House, where I’m going tonight.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter