United Airlines Frequent Flier Miles

kimkatmom

Mouseketeer
We are planning our trip in June for the Med. Cruise. I spoke with United Airlines Awards this morning, hoping to "hold" at least one-half of our fight. We will be returning of course, later in June.

I can't seem to figure out how all this works. We have plenty of miles for the round trip, but apparently, according to the reservationist, we are not able to book our round trip for another 19 days. All travel must be completed 331 days from your return flight. Is that correct? I'm concerned that the flights currently available for our departre will be gone in 19 days.

In the altnerative, we plan just to book out flight into Barcelona. Any hints on the most economical way to do this.

Any help you can give me is very much appreciated.

Leslye

Call back. Put your outbound to the Med on hold NOW. Find out how long they will hold it. You have a couple of options. Book a round trip now with the "wrong" return date (whatever you can get) and then at 331 days call and fix it. If they will hold the outbound for 19 days just do that and then book the return.

You might go to www.flyertalk.com, go to the miles and points section find United and do some research there.

You are right, in 19 days your outbound will probably be gone.

But won't there be a change fee if you book a fake return flight now?

UAL won't let you reserve any legs until all legs are available for booking.

Depending on where you're flying from, the european free tickets do not book up that fast. The seats that disappear the fastest are to/from Hawaii.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Based on past experience, I've done this A LOT, the free seats start appearing 11 months out, but for that first month or so, more seats are always appearing and disappearing. Just log on to their website and do the searching yourself. (You'll save the money UAL charges if their customer service reps book your ticket.)

beachbunny said:
But won't there be a change fee if you book a fake return flight now?

UAL won't let you reserve any legs until all legs are available for booking.

Depending on where you're flying from, the european free tickets do not book up that fast. The seats that disappear the fastest are to/from Hawaii.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Based on past experience, I've done this A LOT, the free seats start appearing 11 months out, but for that first month or so, more seats are always appearing and disappearing. Just log on to their website and do the searching yourself. (You'll save the money UAL charges if their customer service reps book your ticket.)

I don't know about UAL, but I book DL FF tickets and Euope books up at 331 days. Personally even if they charge me a change fee I would book this way if I was doing it for a cruise!!! (I don't think that DL is charging the change fee on this if the ticket is on hold not sure about AAA.)

If I had flexibility I might do as you suggest, but for a cruise you don't have flexibility.

I booked free seats last year for this June with UAL (HNL-SFO-LHR). It wasn't a problem. And my first choice routing opened up during that first month. UAL customer service reps confirmed that not all seats are available exactly eleven months out. That's when they start releasing seats and seats to europe are never released exactly at the eleven month point. To the OP, don't worry, you're still early. Be persistant and you'll get what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter