Unique Tips for Cruises

Rockolamamma

Mouseketeer
I read a few posts on the Board that suggested a unique tip using Gift certificates or Gift Cards for Servers, etc. Has anyone done this? Have the servers appreciated it? My friend asked me a good question: if the workers were on the ship most of the time, when would they be able to redeem their restaurant gift card?

I give cash tips to the bartenders and they really like that. It normally gets me free drinks. I do not do that for the free drinks though. I do it because they like it or the ones I have given it to loved it.

I always buy nice cards and put my tip to everyone in the card with a personalized message with something they only they did to make our cruise wonderful!

We used Target gift cards IN ADDITION to cash tips. The people in the tipped positions really depend on the cash. We gave our servers, etc tips + additional cash + target gift card. We had brought the target gift cards to use for non-tipped positions (kids club, etc) but ended up with extra's at the end so we gave them to our servers.

The staff has time off in port on a rotating basis, I believe. I think I read that DCL actually provides a bus to Walmart (?) so the staff can do some shopping.

I don't have any factual information, but I just hesitate tipping anyone with anything but cash.
I just have this vision of some poor worker, away from home for months at a time, who sends money back home to support his family thousands of miles away.....with a stack of useless Target/Walmart cards or phone cards.

I'd just take a few Thank You cards to write a personal thank you, and just add what ever you planned to spend on a Target cards in cash to the tip.

That's exactly what our waiters said they did with their tip money... send it back to support their families...
I would do the unique touches in addition to the cash tips, like previously stated. I'm sure they are appreciated, but I know if that were my salary, I'd take the cash!

Yeah...

We do cash but - having my own thank you cards is a nice touch which I think I'll start practicing.

Thanks for the idea!

:thumbsup2

I read on another tipping sight that the people in non-tipping positions are not allowed to receive money. Plus any gift given is put into a ''kitty'' and shared amoung all employees. I can't remember where the thread is.....maybe someone else can help. It was suggested to give chocolates or something like that. Gift cards are nice but I am not exactly sure about who gets to keep them. I plan on buying a few telephone cards and I will bring some chcolate from here in Europe.....it is soooooooooo good! Hope this helps. I will try to find the link for you and write again. :confused3

Rockolamamma said:
I read a few posts on the Board that suggested a unique tip using Gift certificates or Gift Cards for Servers, etc. Has anyone done this? Have the servers appreciated it? My friend asked me a good question: if the workers were on the ship most of the time, when would they be able to redeem their restaurant gift card?

When people give gift cards to servers, etc, it is in addition to the monetary tip, not in place of it. Cash is always number 1 !!!

Some people also give phone cards to the kids club workers to show appreciation as that is not a tipped position.

We give gift cards in ADDITION to the monetary tips that the CM's depend on.

WalMart, JC Penney, CVS, Walgreens are the ones I purchase as well as phone cards. Each week a different group of CM's, I don't know exactly how
it is based, are bussed to The Florida Mall to purchase "necessities". I believe there is a Wal Mart in PC. Shirley can tell us what stores are in PC where the CM's could shop. I know that some of the CM's shop in PC.

Anyway, this is a great idea and much appreciated by the CM's.

Phyllis :crazy: :firefight

On Our cruise I made nice candy bags and attached a pre-printed Thank-You tag and a hand written note. I spoke to the cruise director and she said that they love getting candy and sharing it at there meetings. They always share the story of who gave it to them and why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter