Unique Experiences In WDW

JStu

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip in 2/2022. We have 3 kids (DD 12, DS 10, 8). Last trip in 2/2020 we let them pick experiences. With it being a first trip with Star Wars Land open, they all did droids, the two boys did lightsabers, and DD did the dessert experience at Disney Springs where she and her mom got to learn how to make a dessert. We are looking for another special experience for them. Not something that is an all day event, but something special to commemorate this trip. What do you have for me? What have you done that you loved? what have you done that you think was a waste?

Many such experiences are not yet available since reopening. But with the rapid pace of return to "normal", I'd keep an eye on these forums and the Disney Parks Blog to see what might become available before your trip.

Not specifically for kids, but our favorite splurge for the whole family, when they were available, were the fireworks dessert parties. We would make them our "dinner", and enjoy the VIP feel and relaxed view of the nighttime show. The whole family loved them. Hopefully those return soon!

Many such experiences are not yet available since reopening. But with the rapid pace of return to "normal", I'd keep an eye on these forums and the Disney Parks Blog to see what might become available before your trip.

Not specifically for kids, but our favorite splurge for the whole family, when they were available, were the fireworks dessert parties. We would make them our "dinner", and enjoy the VIP feel and relaxed view of the nighttime show. The whole family loved them. Hopefully those return soon!
thanks!

So I know there are not as many options available post Covid, hopefully more will come up by Feb 2022 but for now here are a few things that come to mind but still not 100% sure all these are even available just yet, some are not expensive at all and others I don't know what current pricing is.
  • Horseback riding at Fort Wilderness (fun if you've never been but if it's something you've done before then it's not that exciting)
  • Dessert only at Beaches and Cream (my girls are 12 & 14 and they love this)
  • the aerophile at Disney Springs (hot air balloon/characters in flight...can't ever remember what it's called now) or the amphicars
  • tea at the Grand Floridian
  • special fireworks dessert dining package (know that's not yet available but when they were, that was a fun splurge for our family and our girls loved it)
  • If it comes back the pre park opening or after hours events, expensive but also a lot of fun
  • Pirate cruises, we never did that and now my girls are likely aged out of it but could be fun for your sons. Not sure if those are available

In 2017, my DSIL and two DGSs (11 & 12 yrs old) did the early morning surfing lesson at Typhoon Lagoon. None had ever surfed before but were keen to try. They were up on boards in no time and absolutely loved the experience!

Honestly, those of us who were watching from the side had just as much fun as the surfers… worth every penny, from the view of the completely calm wave pool at sunrise, to the excitement of mastering a new skill. Staff were excellent and we’d love to do it again!

We are planning a trip in 2/2022. We have 3 kids (DD 12, DS 10, 8). Last trip in 2/2020 we let them pick experiences. With it being a first trip with Star Wars Land open, they all did droids, the two boys did lightsabers, and DD did the dessert experience at Disney Springs where she and her mom got to learn how to make a dessert. We are looking for another special experience for them. Not something that is an all day event, but something special to commemorate this trip. What do you have for me? What have you done that you loved? what have you done that you think was a waste?

My DS13 and I just had an amazing day at Ft. W about a week ago. I booked the archery experience for him (available for ages 7 and up, 11:30 am and 2:45 pm daily). I booked the 2:45 pm, but we took the boat over to Ft. W from MK earlier in the day so we could visit the new stables, eat lunch at P&J's takeout (absolutely delicious) and then we took the bus to Meadows (you can walk as well) where we kayaked (you can also canoe), mined for gems, visited the gift shop and then he did the archery experience - it was a fantastic day. You can also rent bikes at the Bike Barn. We pre-reserved the archery experience, but everything else was simply a walk-up, ala carte experience. It also wasn't very expensive. If a wilderness-type of experience is of any interest, I would definitely take a look at everything available at Ft. W to see if their activities would be of interest to your children. One of the highlights - we took the boat from MK to Ft. W at about 10:45 am when everyone else was going to the parks and had a private boat ride to Ft. W - very special and absolutely free, LOL!

Pre-COVID we did a behind the scenes tour of the Safari area at Animal Kingdom. You went on foot and in a Jeep in a small group with a guide to check out the animals. We got to watch the giraffes feeding up close and walked on high suspension bridges over the crocodiles. It ended with a really yummy lunch. My kids were teens/tweens and they loved it.

I love adding special experiences/touches to our trips! Here are a few things we've done over the years:
  • Fireworks dessert party at MK (this is a favorite and something we always try to do)
  • Private fireworks cruise at Epcot
  • Glass slipper dessert at CRT
  • Having the room decorated prior to arrival
  • Tea at the GF
  • Celebration specialty cake from GF Bakery (I have this planned for our trip next week and can't wait)
  • Not through Disney, but we have also surprised our kids with limo transport and they loved it
The surprises are fun! Happy planning!

Some things I've done that were fun and kind of unique:

- Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian
- Rented a boat from the Polynesian and sailed around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake for an hour. I believe you can rent the boats from any hotel that has a marina (ex Grand FL, Ft Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, and Contemporary). I believe you can also rent boats from Old Key West or Saratoga Springs and sail through the river that connects to the lake on Disney Springs (I can't think of the names of each).
- Seconding dessert at Beaches and Cream
- Movies and s'mores outdoors. I believe every resort does outdoor movies, but some are a little more picturesque and fun. For example, I believe Yacht and Beach Club does theres on the beach, which is fun. A lot of the resorts have fire pits and let you roast marshmallows before/during the movies as well. I don't think you had to be staying at the resort to do it. This was pre-Covid so def check ahead of time before planning this out.
- Picnic dinner while watching the fireworks. There are some areas of the Poly where you can sit on the beach and watch the MK fireworks. I believe there were only certain areas where they actually piped in the music and where only hotel guests could go, but there is a quieter area of beach closer to the luau that I believe was allowed for anyone. No music, but you could kind of hear it echo over the lake, and it was still just fun to watch. That beach is usually pretty quiet and a lot less crowded

Things I've wanted to do:
- At Ft Wilderness (pre-covid) there used to be a free sing-a-long with Chip and Dale and a performer. They also had a fire pit and would encourage s'more making. I believe they even sold little s'more kits in the gift shop, but it's much cheaper to bring your own supplies.
- Hoop-Dee-Doo or the Luau dinner shows (although I've heard mixed things about the luau)
- Lunch at Sanaa in the AKL where you can watch the safari animals roam around while eating. I say lunch because you definitely want to do it during the daylight.
- A backstage tour of AK or the Living Seas at Epcot to see the animals

Following as I was looking for similar advice!

I can second that the pirate cruise was SO fun for my kids. I believe 12 is the cut-off age so it might be your last chance to have all three do it together. My kids did the one from the Yacht Club. Not sure if they will be up and running again anytime soon, but it was definitely something they loved!

We are hoping to do a fireworks cruise this trip!

I thought of a few more ideas!
  • An after hours event! We did one at MK last February, and we all really enjoyed it
  • Reserve a cabana at your resort pool one day
  • Bippity Boppity Boutique -- they used to offer a pirate experience for boys in addition to the makeover for girls; the one in Cinderella's Castle is great
  • My kids enjoyed the pirates cruise too that others have mentioned, but they were definitely younger when we did it

I also like adding on special experiences and have done some really fun ones.
  • Sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness (was able to celebrate my engagement from that morning on that trip)
  • Fireworks dessert party with plaza seating in MK - I never used to watch the fireworks because I didn't want the hassle of finding a spot; the dessert party changed my opinion of watching fireworks, now this is the only way I will watch them. I have done this one a few times but not really for the desserts.
  • The Frozen Ever After dessert party in Epcot - the best part for me was getting to ride Frozen Ever After when the park was closed - I loved that.
  • Elephant tour in Animal Kingdom - great tour. I did have the rhino tour booked for my trip that was cancelled due to COVID last year. Disappointed that I didn't get to do that one, but I still hope to be able to do that one In the future.
  • Circle of Flavors Harambe at Night - This was fabulous. It was definitely the most unique experience with plenty of good food, activities and drinks. This dinner had you travel from the Harambe train station to Rafiki's Planet Watch to Harambe Market. There was music, a craft, parting gifts, and even a virtual reality experience included. Every part to this experience from start to finish was incredible. I never used to be an AK fan until I did this. Best experience ever at AK for me and would love to do this again - but not sure if it will ever come back as I can't seem to find it in a search on the Disney site.
  • Villains After Hours in MK. It was alright.
  • Dining with an Imagineer in HS - our Imagineer was so interesting. I feel so lucky that we were able to snag this reservation. Loved it.
  • Early Morning Magic Fantasyland - it was a mad rush to get to Fantasyland to do the rides but it was nice to ride everything multiple times and to finish Fantasyland before the park opened for rope drop. While everyone was entering Fantasyland, we headed to Space Mountain and then our included breakfast to relax. It was worth doing. So much fun.
  • Early Morning Magic Toy Story Land - unlike the Fantasyland one which was a free for all to head to Fantasyland, the castmembers led everyone to Toy Story Land and kept everyone at a walking pace. Just like the Fantasyland one, we got a lot of rides done and went to the included breakfast when the rope drop crowd was heading to Toy Story Land. I am not sure if this experience will come back, but I wish it would.

In the past we did the behind the scenes tour of the Land and enjoyed that. I believe it is still offered, but with the covid situation, check the Disney website to see what things are currently available.

We have also done one of those behind the scenes tours (ours was reasonably priced at that time!!!) but I don't believe that is being offered anymore. If money is no object, there are those VIP tours I have seen others talk about, but clearly depends on your budget.

Horseback riding was very good, the night Safari at Kidani was AMAZING and you could choose an earlier time. Night vision goggles, out on the Savannah within a large open keep type vehicle. S’mores and/or movie nights by pre planning with ur own snacks, maybe some glow in the dark bracelets for a little fun. Mini golf is fun at Disney too!! You can go fishing either boat or pole and of course all of these will hopefully be open for you. The tours we did don’t fit ur age group but there are quite a few. What I love about Disney, so many choices.. something for Everyone.

I can second the Animal Kingdom safari tour. We did it a few years ago and it was a blast! We really lucked out and it was just the three of us! It was expensive, but well worth it since it turned out to basically be a private tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter