Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds

In recent years Veteran's Day has reportedly been one of the busiest days of the year.

Thanks for the reply! What times do you think are good between August - November if someone is looking for a slower time? Thanks for answering questions that have been asked before. I am reading all that I can, but it seems like the more I read, the more confused I get.

I agree about being confused! I am crossing my fingers that the week before Thanksgiving is going to be a good time!

Thanks for the reply! What times do you think are good between August - November if someone is looking for a slower time? Thanks for answering questions that have been asked before. I am reading all that I can, but it seems like the more I read, the more confused I get.
All I know is what I read around here. September after Labor Day but before HMH opens and HalloweenTime starts is probably the slowest time in Aug-Nov. Early Nov not over Veteran's Day is also typically slower.

Be aware that HM is down during Sept every year and now Space Mtn is down for a few days as well (to add Ghost Galaxy). In early Nov it is IASW down and Space Mtn again (to remove GG). Other rides and shows are likely to be down as well for refurb.

Thank you so much for all of your replies! (I was hoping you'd weigh-in, HydroGuy.)

Suzanne mentioned the black out on GAD vouchers . . . does that mean I can't turn them in for fast passes on these days? Ugh!!!!

Most of our trips have been to the World, so this is kind of foreign to me.... We were at DL in 05, 06 and 07. Our last day in 07 was the day BEFORE Nemo opened. I did that on purpose to avoid the crowds...

Now we're heading west again this summer, and have talked the troops into a ONE DAY stop in DL. With only one day, I don't want to hit a super busy day. We were thinking of Sunday June 6th. I checked the links at the beginning of the thread and it is a BO date for only some of the AP levels. We might be able to juggle slightly to hit the 5th, which I believe is blocked out on all the levels.

1) Will that make much difference in expected crowds?

2) Do Saturdays and Sundays tend to vary much in expected crowds?

We expect to arrive at Rope Drop and stay til close.

We won't be hopping, so no DCA and no WOC. While I'd like to see Fantasmic, It's not a deal breaker. I just want to photograph fireworks over Sleeping Beauty's castle.

We're heading for the World for a week in December, so this is mostly to catch some of our DL favs.... Matterhorn.... Indy Jones... Alice.... oh... and that Nemo ride we missed 3 years ago by 1 day!!! (Have those crowds died down any by now??????) :rotfl2:

Most of our trips have been to the World, so this is kind of foreign to me.... We were at DL in 05, 06 and 07. Our last day in 07 was the day BEFORE Nemo opened. I did that on purpose to avoid the crowds...

Now we're heading west again this summer, and have talked the troops into a ONE DAY stop in DL. With only one day, I don't want to hit a super busy day. We were thinking of Sunday June 6th. I checked the links at the beginning of the thread and it is a BO date for only some of the AP levels. We might be able to juggle slightly to hit the 5th, which I believe is blocked out on all the levels.

We won't be hopping, so no DCA and no WOC. While I'd like to see Fantasmic, It's not a deal breaker. I just want to photograph fireworks over Sleeping Beauty's castle.

We're heading for the World for a week in December, so this is mostly to catch some of our DL favs.... Matterhorn.... Indy Jones... Alice.... oh... and that Nemo ride we missed 3 years ago by 1 day!!! (Have those crowds died down any by now??????) :rotfl2:

If things this year are the same as last year, Saturdays will be surprisingly less crowded. However, by arriving at rope drop, you should be ok on either day. Also fireworks will be at 9:25, while Fantasmic at 9:00 and 10:30 (11:30 if crowds warrant it, but probably not).

On either day, I wouldn't go to Fantasyland first thing (Matterhorn, Alice, Toad, Pinocchio, etc.) because Magic Morning is on Saturdays and Sundays. That means there will already be lines when you enter (you can't get MM with a 1 day ticket). I suggest getting a Space FP and heading over to the left side of the park first (Indy, PotC, etc.). Also, Nemo's line is not nearly as crazy anymore. Lines in the morning tend to be around 20-30 min. Lines in the afternoon almost never exceed 60 min anymore.

Do Saturday. It will likely be much less crowded than Sunday.

With nearly all of the APs blocked on a Saturday in June, does the "normal" crowd level, made up of non-AP guests, ever reach the same heights as a Sunday in June without the APs blocked? Is it generally a safer bet to visit on a Saturday than a Sunday in June?

The information in this thread has been fantastic! Many thanks!

Do Saturday. It will likely be much less crowded than Sunday.

unfortunately, that seems like its not becoming true again... :(

the past weekend basically blew the whole AP theory away... im still trying to figure it out...

I've been reading this thread with interest. DH, DS, and I (all Deluxe AP holders) will be visiting the parks again from May 23 through May 29. My parents will be joining us at the end of our trip and want to visit DL for one day. We all have received Give a Day, Get a Day vouchers and plan to use them for DL on Friday, May 28, or Saturday, May 29. Since this is a holiday weekend, I'm not really sure which day will be the least busy. I know that AP holders are blocked out on Saturday, May 29, but it is also a holiday weekend and WOC looms in the balance. I really want my parents to see Aladdin, so it's highly likely that we'll upgrade our one day tickets to park hoppers. I would love to receive some advice from the experts. What do you think.....Friday or Saturday or will they be equally crowded? :confused3 Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of your replies! (I was hoping you'd weigh-in, HydroGuy.)

Suzanne mentioned the black out on GAD vouchers . . . does that mean I can't turn them in for fast passes on these days? Ugh!!!!

Can someone clarify for me? We're planning to use GAD vouchers for our one day stop. Are there black out dates? Where do I find them?

Thanks for all your help.

I'm so glad we're going into this with eyes wide open...

If things this year are the same as last year, Saturdays will be surprisingly less crowded. However, by arriving at rope drop, you should be ok on either day. Also fireworks will be at 9:25, while Fantasmic at 9:00 and 10:30 (11:30 if crowds warrant it, but probably not).

On either day, I wouldn't go to Fantasyland first thing (Matterhorn, Alice, Toad, Pinocchio, etc.) because Magic Morning is on Saturdays and Sundays. That means there will already be lines when you enter (you can't get MM with a 1 day ticket). I suggest getting a Space FP and heading over to the left side of the park first (Indy, PotC, etc.). Also, Nemo's line is not nearly as crazy anymore. Lines in the morning tend to be around 20-30 min. Lines in the afternoon almost never exceed 60 min anymore.

That is SO helpful!

I hadn't considered the effect of MM's either. We are BIG Fantasyland people, but with only a one day ticket, and staying offsite, won't have access to those. Which days of the week are they held? Maybe we should look at our calendar again to see if we can find a blackout day with no MM.

Can someone clarify for me? We're planning to use GAD vouchers for our one day stop. Are there black out dates? Where do I find them?

I found them on the FAQ section on the Disneyland site:

◦For Walt Disney World® Resort: March 29 - April 8 and July 4, 2010
◦For the Disneyland® Resort: February 13-14, March 21, June 21-22, July 4, November 21, and December 11-12, 2010.

I found them on the FAQ section on the Disneyland site:

◦For Walt Disney World® Resort: March 29 - April 8 and July 4, 2010
◦For the Disneyland® Resort: February 13-14, March 21, June 21-22, July 4, November 21, and December 11-12, 2010.

HUGE relief! THANK YOU!

That is SO helpful!

I hadn't considered the effect of MM's either. We are BIG Fantasyland people, but with only a one day ticket, and staying offsite, won't have access to those. Which days of the week are they held? Maybe we should look at our calendar again to see if we can find a blackout day with no MM.
Sun/Tue/Thu/Sat see "Magic Morning (Early Entry) Super Thread" by DLR29 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403

unfortunately, that seems like its not becoming true again... :(

the past weekend basically blew the whole AP theory away... im still trying to figure it out...
Yah right Albort. ;)

Seriously, if WOC comes out and you want to visit DLR in early June on a Saturday or Sunday, and you know Saturday is a blockout day, would you yourself go on Sunday? Even if the crowds are the same, the visitors will be different on Saturday and you will not have the AP holders waiting 4-6 hours to see things like Fantasmic, etc.

Sun/Tue/Thu/Sat see "Magic Morning (Early Entry) Super Thread" by DLR29 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403

Thank you all for your help! I hang out a lot on the World boards, but am a complete newbie over here. This all seems so foreign after being so experienced at the World stuff!

It looks like we can't find a day that is non-MM and also blacked out. Would you choose a non MM morning that IS blacked out, or a day with MM that is NOT blacked out?

I really don't want to miss anything in Fantasyland, and am so used to hitting that area first.

One more question: Is Space or Indy a better place to grab our first FP's?

Thanks again!

Thank you all for your help! I hang out a lot on the World boards, but am a complete newbie over here. This all seems so foreign after being so experienced at the World stuff!

It looks like we can't find a day that is non-MM and also blacked out. Would you choose a non MM morning that IS blacked out, or a day with MM that is NOT blacked out?

I really don't want to miss anything in Fantasyland, and am so used to hitting that area first.

Thanks again!

Here would be my ideal days ranked for someone who really wants to ride those FL rides:
1. non-MM, APs blocked out (but I don't think there are any in early June)
2. non-MM, APs not blocked out (Friday)
3. MM day, APs blocked out (Saturday)
4. MM day, APs not blocked out (Sunday)

And Space FP first. They run out quicker than Indy, especially on MM days. You can probably grab an Indy FP until about 3PM with a 9/10PM return time or so. However by 3PM Space's FP might be gone.

Thanks again!
There are just so many variables here. High season or low season? Priority of Fantasyland vs. other entertainment like Fantasmic and fireworks?

If Fantasyland is a priority and if you plan to be in line at the gates at least 20 minutes before park opening then if you have flexibility in choosing days I would choose a non-MM day which means Mon/Wed/Fri. Of those Wed is the best, then Monday, then Friday.

However, if you are going off-season then entertainment is reduced on weekdays and if you want to see Fantasmic or fireworks, etc., then Friday is probably you best bet. It will be non-MM and will have evening entertainment.

As for FP, Space Mtn is the most popular FP at DL. Then Indy or Splash depending on how hot it is that day. :)

Here would be my ideal days ranked for someone who really wants to ride those FL rides:
1. non-MM, APs blocked out (but I don't think there are any in early June)
2. non-MM, APs not blocked out (Friday)
3. MM day, APs blocked out (Saturday)
4. MM day, APs not blocked out (Sunday)

And Space FP first. They run out quicker than Indy, especially on MM days. You can probably grab an Indy FP until about 3PM with a 9/10PM return time or so. However by 3PM Space's FP might be gone.

THANK YOU!!!! :worship:

Your advice has been invaluable!!!!! I'm gonna go see if we can tweak the schedule.

When I call back to reschedule yet AGAIN at the hotel at the Grand Canyon, I'm SURE they will understand completely when I just explain that we need to be in DL on a non-MM morning! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter