Umbrella stroller or regular stroller

I'm all for full size! It's a good home base for all your stuff and won't turn over when there's not a kid in it. We saw many a stroller turn over with bags on the handle bars after the kids got out. One poor Safari castmember got Coke all over her because someone handed in a stroller, the CM parked it, and as soon as she let go, it flipped backwards sending the drink all over her. We go in low-crowd times, so finding our stroller in the mix only takes a few minutes. Make sure to "decorate" your stroller. It's fun but it's super helpful. We have a laminated sign I made with the logo that's in my Avatar, fireworks behind it and Disney Dawgs printed really big in Disney font. It sparks conversation, too, but that's just a side note.

That said, I can't speak for those flying down. I've never had to take a stroller on a plane. We drive from North GA, so all we have to do is pack it in the car.

I use a jogger as my full-time stroller. While my son is old enough to switch to an umbrella I can’t imagine giving up the basket and easy steering. We’ve used it at a theme park and I’m glad we had it.

Another vote for full size. I actually spent a bit of time checking out strollers at Disney and asking a few parents how they liked their stroller before purchasing one for my granddaughter. The umbrella strollers have shorter handles and if you are at all tall you may be a bit stooped when pushing it.

When we took our girls the the first time my wife wanted to do a sit and stand, but I insisted on a double (front to back) jogger for our DD's 4 & 1.5. She openly admitted I was right after hitting those moments where both girls needed to be sitting comfortably. And the extra storage space was definitely a plus.

:tigger:

A regular stroller is typically used as your primary stroller for walking around your neighborhood, shopping, or running errands.
Instead of a heavy pram, most modern moms choose a regular stroller for a newborn. The seat in a regular stroller folds flat, making it safe for a newborn baby. As the baby grows, you can raise the seat back to a more upright position where as
An umbrella stroller is an ultra-lightweight, basic stroller that’s often chosen as a secondary stroller for when you need to travel light.
Umbrella strollers fold up easily (like an umbrella) and can be slung over your shoulder or carried using a handle.
Many moms use an umbrella stroller as their go-to mode of transport for their child for daily routine jobs such as trips to the store or the doctor.

We had a Maclaren umbrella stroller, that while more expensive than your basic umbrella, was really for us the best of both worlds. It was adjustable and comfortable for our kids at different ages/sizes. It was comfortable for us to push. It was lightweight and easy to move around...either open or closed. Yet it still had a sizable net "basket" underneath that easily held our backpack style diaper bag and even some other items..blankets/jackets on top of that). It had a large canopy and we also had a snap on rain cover that went over the entire thing in case of storms.

They currently have a strap/bar type thing that runs between the two handles that you may be able to safely hang small, lightweight items from. (We used to just hang a few items from the handles or around the handles.) Obviously if you hang anything at the handle end of an umbrella stroller you need to be careful when putting the child in and out in case you've made it top heavy when the stroller is empty. :)

Long story, short, we loved that thing and used it for years. :) (Oh, and my kids napped in it while we were out and about as well.) :)

Last edited:
So, what's the situation like with full sized strollers and busses? Do you just drag them on with you and put them in the aisle? I assume there's no special storage place for them?

All strollers when boarding Disney buses must be folded. You carry them on the bus and folded hold them (close to you). A lot of times the buses will have passengers standing in the aisle.

I just posted this on another thread but I'm a huge fan of Zoe strollers. They are lightweight and fold easily like an umbrella but still have canopies, baskets and reclining features.

umbrella stroller is comparatively best than regular stroller due to its size and compatibility. Whenever you are traveling then best umbrella stroller for travel is the top priority

It really depends on the age of the child I think along with how much stuff you buy at the parks. If you have an older child who doesn't require a whole slew of gear and you don't really purchase a lot of merchandise, than an umbrella stroller for sure is the best option. If you have young kids with diapers, snacks, milk bottles, and you tend to purchase things that need to be stored, a travel system stroller is invaluable.

I've done it both ways! We brought our big stroller when our son was 11 months and just the umbrella when he was 17 months. We GREATLY preferred the umbrella. It was so much easier to bring on the bus. We bought the Summer Infant 3-D lite and it still has some storage space underneath so you can still carry a bag. We did take breaks each afternoon back at the room so our son never needed to nap in the stroller. The stroller does recline though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter