UK (and international) DVC Trip Cancelling

Thegoatfeeder

Main thing WDW Needs? More Muppets!
Just thought i'd post this question in a new thread to gain some thoughts, as with it being DVC is slightly different to the more usual UK trip cancellation questions.

We have a DVC trip booked for the last 2 weeks of April, a month or so ago I was starting to feel quite confident about us being able to take it, but with every passing day I think it becomes less likely?

I am toying with the idea of cancelling it and moving it to September on the basis that we may have been vaccinated by then (mid to late 30s, outstanding medical conditions but not affected by COVID), but my other half is desperate to go in April as this trip was already cancelled and moved twice!

What do you guys think? Is April simply too soon considering we can't even get into the US currently and things are getting out of hand, or will the increase in temperates turn the tide in time?

Just thought i'd post this question in a new thread to gain some thoughts, as with it being DVC is slightly different to the more usual UK trip cancellation questions.

We have a DVC trip booked for the last 2 weeks of April, a month or so ago I was starting to feel quite confident about us being able to take it, but with every passing day I think it becomes less likely?

I am toying with the idea of cancelling it and moving it to September on the basis that we may have been vaccinated by then (mid to late 30s, outstanding medical conditions but not affected by COVID), but my other half is desperate to go in April as this trip was already cancelled and moved twice!

What do you guys think? Is April simply too soon considering we can't even get into the US currently and things are getting out of hand, or will the increase in temperates turn the tide in time?

I would very much doubt you'll be vaccinated by September in the UK if you don't have medical conditions that put you on the priority list. The good news is, whether you are vaccinated or not is unlikely to make any difference in terms of whether you can physically travel, unless its a restriction you are imposing on yourself. It is very unlikely countries will mandate vaccination as an entry condition at the border, as at this point, the virus has taken hold and a country's own protection and resilience is going to be determined by their own domestic vaccination programme, not the vaccination status of overseas visitors.

Whether you can travel, and what your overall experience will be like at Disney will be more dependent on the U.S. vaccination programme. I would say you are likely to have an overall better experience in September, as a significant proportion of the U.S. at-risk population should've been vaccinated by that point, meaning restrictions are likely to be eased, and maybe even the removal of the mask requirement. Dare I say, things might even be almost back-to-normal by September. Of course, if you go in April, it is more likely you yourself would contract the virus than in September (if you are not vaccinated by that point). Many travel insurance policies now have various exclusions related to COVID for trips that are not already booked - so check your policy, as if you did contract the virus while in the U.S. and you needed treatment, it could be prohibitively expensive. And if you contract it just prior, you could lose your vacation entirely.

On the whole, I personally think you are much better waiting until September. It should be safer, less prone to disruption, and an overall better experience with more of the traditional park offerings being available.

This sounds exactly like us. We had been scheduled for the last week of April/First into May. I had started feeling hopeful but now I just don't think it will happen. We have a August use year and I have points carried over from 2019 that we should have used April last year which I will lose end of July.

I'm thinking ill give it until the end of March just before the end of my banking window for the 2020 points and any period in which I'd then be stuck with a holding window, an then re-evaluate whether a July/Aug trip will be possible.

If you can move now without losing out I'd probably look at moving it to September.

Yeah, we actually did just this. We have a December UY and were in a position to move our flights, so we've actually rebooked for the first 2 weeks of September, we won't be vaccinated by then I guess, but I think overall the picture will be better.

Granted if we have to cancel the trip closer to the time, we'll lose the points, but I just don't see us being able to travel in April.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter